follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 AM   #29
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV86 View Post
You can buy a 1uz for a grand. Put a cheap t04 on it. Easy 400kw.

If you can weld and make your own manifolds, then it works out extremely good $/hp.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that if you do a motor swap, that you'll sell the fa20 and box for more than the new motor and box will cost.

I was warned about the internet mechanics on this forum, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Most people can't weld with the skill required to build manifolds, so that's a hell of a lot of extra cost to get custom built. Plus you have to find some place to fit it all in the engine bay that's designed for a much smaller engine...

It's not internet mechanics, it's the real world. The easier way to go on the 1UZ is a roots style blower if you want to go with the 1UZ.

Now you're talking about selling the engine and transmission, which means you have to fabricate even more. Not only that, most people aren't going to do an engine swap unless their motor grenades, meaning the motor is worthless.

1UZ's changed quite a bit as well over the years and the early ones where definitely overrated HP wise by the factory.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #30
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum bro.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #31
Fr-s.h

Drives: Golden White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have always been a fan of the soarers/sc400. At one point I had 3 but since the fr-s Im down to 1. Hard to let go. The 1uz is definitely something to consider. Building this motor is on par with what it would cost you to build almost any other V style motor. The biggest benefit IMO is that these motors are readily available and cheap. I can get my hands at least 2 right now and spend no more then 400 a piece. Coming from the soarer/sc400 community I have always been intrigued by what people do with these motors, all aluminum v8 Japanese muscle in everything from boats to rat rods.

Looking forward to seeing someome drop a 1uz in the twins, gives me more of a reason to continue to build my 1uz, maybe in hopes of one day swapping it out who knows.

True, most look at the 1st gen. Blocks to build up becuase of the rods, but really if your tearing it down might as well go with some beefier internals. Doesnt inspire to build up a block with 200k plus miles. Although I have driven some with 400k+ that are holding up nicely.

Thank you OP.

Best of luck with your build you can bet your ass im sub'd.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #32
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
You can buy a 1uz for a grand. Put a cheap t04 on it. Easy 400kw.

If you can weld and make your own manifolds, then it works out extremely good $/hp.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that if you do a motor swap, that you'll sell the fa20 and box for more than the new motor and box will cost.

Ah yes.. because all you need to do to swap in a motor is weld up manifolds? I can think of a dozen other costly and extremely time consuming things you need to do get a new engine working properly in a new chassis.

I thought you were great when you started this thread to share information about potential swap options. Unfortunately you've gone off the tracks when a few people have questioned your opinions about the benefit and cost of these swaps.

Quote:
I was warned about the internet mechanics on this forum, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.
Really? A few people with dissenting opinions and you slam the whole forum.

I think the general membership of this forum is pretty experienced and knowledgeable. You'll always have a few who like to sit behind a keyboard and spit out opinions with no experience to back them up.. But I don't think this group is so bad.

Last edited by eikond; 07-31-2014 at 11:19 AM.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #33
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Lol. His car is going.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #34
wsites

Drives: 08 STI|15 BRZ|95 L Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPG View Post
Dudes

Really an engine swap this far in the twins life?!
As others have post you can get 300 whp with FI and pump gas, also could be done in a week of lazy work (compared with swapping) or with more time/$ could get a built engine with an spicy 690whp from 7k to 9k RPMs, ...at that whp traction is scarce...

About the CoG... prefer 18" and 53:47 over 20" and 50:50, but I think it would make a marginal difference that won't be notice from 99.9% of us. We'll I could note difference with the AC on/off (up hill 1st gear 1/4 throttle then tern off the AC), also when the car is full or empty (right after filling the tank)... That's for DD.

OP always good to see new ideas! IS 350 or F swap, that would be different/interesting.
Any suggestion for a easy trany swap? That sounds bad Lol
For the FA20? Maybe the F trany? Lol
That's true, similar power for less head ache and cash... I do like the idea of a supercharger, especially if the new innovate kit that is supposedly coming out can hit 400whp... Not that I would do that because you apparently need a built motor...
Kit provides moar pawar
Kit needs engine build to support moar pawar.
People call it fault

Last edited by wsites; 07-31-2014 at 10:34 AM.
wsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #35
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji View Post
Lol. His car is going.
Is his car swapped already? If so, I missed that and I'll apologize and retract my statement. But I don't see where he's said he's completed a Toyota engine swap in his car.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #36
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #37
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Yet another thread with good information deleted because people wanted to argue with the OP. Who cares whether you personally think a Toyota engine swap is good value. If OP is sharing information on what he has done don't tell him he is wasting time and money. Not everyone wants an FI FA20. Not everyone lives in the US with LSX motors available for $5 at the corner store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (08-01-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #38
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Yet another thread with good information deleted because people wanted to argue with the OP. Who cares whether you personally think a Toyota engine swap is good value. If OP is sharing information on what he has done don't tell him he is wasting time and money. Not everyone wants an FI FA20. Not everyone lives in the US with LSX motors available for $5 at the corner store.

It was good information.. I told him that multiple times. Unfortunately his attitude sucked as soon as someone questioned his opinions. Rather than defending his opinion with a well thought response, he preferred to give out backhanded insults and look down his nose at us. Then he deleted all his posts???

It's unfortunate that he couldn't handle a little healthy debate.
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (08-01-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #39

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I was thinking of swapping 1UZ OR 2GR since our AT A960E is the same as lexus GS300 2006 - 2008. http://www.automaticchoice.com/uploa...e/aw_a960e.pdf
I am not sure if it share a lot with A760E that came with 1UZ but expert opinions are welcome. https://cobratransmission.com/PDFs/A...760E_A761E.pdf
VOLK LE37 17X7.5, SWIFT Springs, Bilstein B8, HKS intake duct, Cosworth Air Filter, HKS headers, PLM Over Pipe, EVS Down Pipe & Exhaust, FD 4.55, GFB pulleys, Axle-Exchange Drive Shaft, Mishimoto oil cooler, Cusco F&R strut bar, TRD door stabilizer, Innovate SC, Delicious Tuned
8686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #40
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Quote:
Reading the thread before it got trimmed, I can see why he got frustrated.

First he tried to make it clear that he would need some time to put his information online.

Then he start's getting roped into 7M vs 1UZ discussions, which he politely came out and said "We're not discussing straight 6 iron motors here" but it continued.

He was also then questioned as to whether he even understood 'centre of gravity'; which he clearly did, and further explained why he went off on a tangent while discussing it; yet it still continued.

I'm all for hearty debate, but I also don't go to my lawyer and argure law with her, I listen. If I do, they'll get sick of me fairly quickly. That's what happened here.

Tony did come here himself, but it was me that told him to, as he's a knowledgable guy. Everyone is an expert on the internet, and that's how he's taken it; but equally that's how he was taken. He's the type of guy that receives nothing from being here, he's a contirbutor that I think we need more of.

Ideally, I think he would've been better to do a project thread first, perhaps to gain some respect. But he took it the other way and jsut wanted to put info out there. Possibly because he saw a project thread as showing off, IDK.

It's a shame. Some people can handle forums, others can't. Often the people that can't, are people that are usually paid for there serivces or opinions; and so take it badly when they're providing it free of charge for the benefit of all, and then being questioned.

You guys would probably be interested to know, that he only went 1UZ as the development work he had done with Kelford on his fa20 had such poor results, that he realised the fa20 was not going to be a good NA motor. They struggled to get it to 225whp if I recall correctly, which might sound like a lot, but they put so much $ into it to get it there; much more than most would spent. Tony said to me that less money would get a 3SGE Blacktop to 250whp or more.

As a result, Kelford (and the other main camshaft guys who have all experienced the same results) have postponed their NA package releases, and focused on cams for boosted FA20's; and Tony decided to stay NA, but look into motors that could get him to where he felt the car needed to be. The result of which was his build, and the information he was trying to put here for others.

Anyway. I don't think that anyone in particular is at fault here. Just a case of nit picking taking its toll.

If he was as level-headed as you this would have been a fantastic thread. Too bad we can't have a do-over.

Not sure why he didn't come out and say that he had already done a swap and give some first hand opinions and share some of his real-world knowledge.

I get the frustration with the 7M motor.. that was an unnecessary tangent.

Tony.. i'm sure you'll read this at some point. Come back and share your build thread and some pictures and real-world experiences with your engine swap.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #41
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You guys would probably be interested to know, that he only went 1UZ as the development work he had done with Kelford on his fa20 had such poor results, that he realised the fa20 was not going to be a good NA motor. They struggled to get it to 225whp if I recall correctly, which might sound like a lot, but they put so much $ into it to get it there; much more than most would spent. Tony said to me that less money would get a 3SGE Blacktop to 250whp or more.

As a result, Kelford (and the other main camshaft guys who have all experienced the same results) have postponed their NA package releases, and focused on cams for boosted FA20's
Since this thread is basically dead I may as well ask, what holds the FA20 back in NA form? Is it the heads?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #42
Food
Banned

Drives: ...saving up for FRS/BRZ still
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There's a reason why Orido replaced his Toyota/Lexus V8 with an LS engine.

- the Lexus V8 constantly blew (more than 3x?) even though it was built with aftermarket pistons and rods and had power and tuning problems
- the LS is more reliable, even in stock form
- the LS is simpler and has less parts..therefore less maintenance
- the LS weighs 125lbs lighter than the Lexus V8, yet makes much more hp and gobs of torque, even in stock form
- and so on....

As much as I am bias towards and love Japanese cars and other Japanese stuff, would like to keep it Japanese engined, and also really dislike domestics... The LS is simply a better engine and the smartest decision for a swap.
Food is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Food For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (08-01-2014)