follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Do you guys want the upper models to look different than the lower models?
Yes, please make it different than the base models so it looks nicer/stands out 13 37.14%
No, it doesnt matter. They can look the same for all I care 20 57.14%
Other? 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
jyoo

Drives: 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S design differences

I hope they really design the fr-s to look different than their base models. I dont want them to make their top of the line model to look the same as their base model, but I hope they do it right. For example, the Impreza model and the STI model; the Lancer model and the Evolution model. I wouldnt want to drive a car that doesnt stand out from it's lower models. It reminds me of a bunch of Scion TC's driving around. Your thoughts?
jyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think it would be a very wise marketing decision, kind of showing some respect to those who opt for a higher price tag in the name of performance (or what I hope to be a performance-based mark up).
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
e10rice
Long Waiting Member

Drives: '07 2.0T Passat,'92 Civic dx,'08 xb
What about the Venza? Toyota didn't make the higher end model any different from the lower model. The only way to tell the difference between them is by the wheels. The V6 got 20" 5 spoke rims and the IL4 got 19" multi spoke wheels. If that is the way they choose to go then great. I hate when the lower end car looks so different from the higher end car. Also look at what Subaru did this year with the WRX. It now sports the wide body just like the STI.
e10rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
I see you point w Imp & STI and Lan & Evo... but I highly doubt it's gonna happen. Most of sports car model don't have it. Look at most of FR cars. S2k, Z, Supra, NSX etc, they don't have much trim difference from base to higher up (except few easy changeable parts).

BUT FR cars are well known for Limited/Special Edition ex: S2k CR, Nismo Z, xxth Edi Supra, Zanardi & GT NSX.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I prefer different looks between low and high trim level such as front fender vents, rear side flares, different wheels and aerodynamics, etc,... Some people don't only pay for differences in mechanical, but also the look.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Realistically speaking I imagine that a visual trim level difference would only happen if in fact their is a substantial difference in the price of the car (impreza to WRX is $9k+, and to the STI its more than the cost of a base model at $18k+. Lancer to evo is again double the base model at $19k+ .) but if its something less like the venza's v6 model (at the most $4k ) then I doubt a chance at body reconfiguration.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
well seeing as the FT-86 is already a sports car from its inception, i dont see how those huge differences can exist. the comparisons you are making are of a family sedan (impreza, lancer) to a performance car (evo, sti) that simply share the same base.

the FT-86 is a sports car right off the bat so that family model doesn't exist. all we will see is change in trim and maybe a suspension upgrade or possibly the rumored turbo. exterior wise i dont see much changing except maybe a spoiler or the wheels.
R_E_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
For this car, I hope they don't offer different trim levels; no non color matched, Limited, SR5 etc.

Just offer 2 engine configurations (hopefully a N/A and Turbo) and build it from there. Add or removing whatever feature you want.

I was looking at the 370Z several weeks back. 370z base, sports package, touring, touring w/sports package, 40th, Nismo. I asked about the Sports Pkg but without the wheels (could have cared less for the wheels since they are ugly). They couldn't change anything up. I drove the thing, wasn't too impressed and now Mossy won't leave me alone!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
I think it will have very minimal changes. Kind of like the mr2 turbo and na. Only some one who knows their shit will be able to tell immediately.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Raiden

Drives: 00' Audi A4 2.8
I think they should keep the same form factor throughout and only offer differences in performance, wheels, and hid's etc like the 2010 camaro for example; It will keep both sides happy, the people who buy it for the looks and the performance inclined. That concept will most likely sell more cars for toyota. Subaru on the other hand just leaves me wondering what they'll do with it.
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoo View Post
I hope they really design the fr-s to look different than their base models. I dont want them to make their top of the line model to look the same as their base model, but I hope they do it right. For example, the Impreza model and the STI model; the Lancer model and the Evolution model. I wouldnt want to drive a car that doesnt stand out from it's lower models. It reminds me of a bunch of Scion TC's driving around. Your thoughts?
Uh... it'll be just like the tC. There isn't an Impreza / WRX / STI trim difference here; like other people have said, this is a sports car to start out with and will only have some engine / suspension / interior / wheels changes. Unlike the models you mentioned, the FR-S is a model (just like tC)... it's not like there is going to be an FR-2 (impreza/lancer) and an FR-S (significantly upgraded, like a STI / Evo).
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
jyoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by e10rice View Post
What about the Venza? Toyota didn't make the higher end model any different from the lower model. The only way to tell the difference between them is by the wheels. The V6 got 20" 5 spoke rims and the IL4 got 19" multi spoke wheels. If that is the way they choose to go then great. I hate when the lower end car looks so different from the higher end car. Also look at what Subaru did this year with the WRX. It now sports the wide body just like the STI.
The Venza isnt a sports car.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
If this car comes out in toyota i dont think higher trim will look different, just like the corolla now "S" have the 1zzge and the "XRS" have the 2ZZGE. but who knows we seen the G sport maybe that will be the high trim or limited edition
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
jyoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I see you point w Imp & STI and Lan & Evo... but I highly doubt it's gonna happen. Most of sports car model don't have it. Look at most of FR cars. S2k, Z, Supra, NSX etc, they don't have much trim difference from base to higher up (except few easy changeable parts).

BUT FR cars are well known for Limited/Special Edition ex: S2k CR, Nismo Z, xxth Edi Supra, Zanardi & GT NSX.
yeah but the s2k, z, supra, nsx, etc wont be as MASS produced as the fr-s. fr-s will be mass produced like the TC and civics. I wouldn't want the fr-s to be a common car like the TC/civics. It will kill the uniqueness of the car. I want it to stand out from the rest!