follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #85
dominican
Lude Dude

Drives: 1998 Honda Prelude
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd rather be driving (probably) the subiyota, but the value of a WRX speaks for itself here. What other car can you get that has that many features in the mid 20k range? That's why I'm gunning for a WRX.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #86
coop3422

Drives: 2007 Subaru WRX WRB
a 2012 WRX for $25k is ridiculous and enrages me. In Canada they start at like $33.5. If they were $25k I'd of bought new. Hell I could sell my 07 wrx with 100k km for $20k no problem. Subaru really adds a lot of money to their cars here, I'm guessing because we see so much more winter weather.

I'm gonna test drive a BRZ when they come out, I've follow the car since 09, but gave up waiting last summer. Gonna go test drive a 13' genesis turbo too, the 12' I test drove before buying my wrx was a fun car.
coop3422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #87
RoninTheOriginal

Drives: Supercharged 96 Mustang GT
I'll admit I didn't read all the posts, so this may not be the unique perspective that I think it is, but here goes...

I'm tall. 6'4". And a LOT of that is leg. Finding a Japanese sports car that fits me is tricky, but from the little bit I've read, the FRS/BRZ will (side story, also owned an MR-S, that surprising fit). But the real problem is this exacerbates the problem that I just can't heel-toe, and it bugs the crap out of me...I've tried, I just can't get it down, and I blame my legs and feet. Hand coordination has never been a problem for me.

A friend of mine, equally tall (he might actually be 6'5") found his solution. About 7 years ago he bought a used E46 M3 with the SMG, and still owns the car. He mops up MT M3 owners (at least those that aren't professional drivers) since he has one VERY large task to not worry about. And this is all with a "flappy paddle" box that Jezzer had plenty of mean things to say about.

Enter the FRS/BRZ. Near as I can tell, it's the cheapest sports car you can get with a proper paddle shifter (and not be buying used).

Will I be tracking my car every other weekend? No, this will end up being a DD. I'm selling my supercharged Mustang and POS Civic to buy it. But the paddle shifter again makes that nicer, since I'll be in stop and go traffic for an hour every day.

Dear me, I've completely gone off topic...oh YES!! The wrexie only has a MT. Otherwise I'd seriously consider it.
RoninTheOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #88
brufleth

Drives: 2007 WRX
The base model WRX (that people seem to keep comparing to the BRZ/FRS) really doesn't come with much in the way of features. A limited WRX is still more than a limited BRZ and your still just getting a really pricey Impreza. I love mine but I wouldn't call it a sports car. It is a fun to drive and utilitarian car that gets shit gas mileage. If I like the BRZ the wife would get the WRX and we'd trade her Legacy in for the BRZ.
brufleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #89
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninTheOriginal View Post
About 7 years ago he bought a used E46 M3 with the SMG, and still owns the car. He mops up MT M3 owners (at least those that aren't professional drivers) since he has one VERY large task to not worry about. And this is all with a "flappy paddle" box that Jezzer had plenty of mean things to say about.

Enter the FRS/BRZ. Near as I can tell, it's the cheapest sports car you can get with a proper paddle shifter (and not be buying used).
It's a traditional torque-converted automatic transmission, not a SMG or DMG automated manual box.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #90
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,000 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
It's a traditional torque-converted automatic transmission, not a SMG or DMG automated manual box.
True, although it does Rev match, and is very quick. From my test drive it changes gears faster than I could manually, and is very responsive. Take that for what its worth, YMMV.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
titusdrake (04-14-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #91
RoninTheOriginal

Drives: Supercharged 96 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
True, although it does Rev match, and is very quick. From my test drive it changes gears faster than I could manually, and is very responsive. Take that for what its worth, YMMV.
I will definitely be test driving, but I was not aware that it was a traditional automatic, but Dadhawk is not the only one who has commented on how quick it is.
RoninTheOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #92
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
It's quick. I haven't driven, but I've seen videos. Beyond that, the papers say it should feel nice because the torque converted locks in 2-6 gear (IIRC).
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #93
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I finally got behind the wheel for the first time ever of the car I've dreamed about for 10 years. The 2012 WRX STI.

What a hunk of crap! I couldn't believe it. It was this bloated, machine, that I was operating.

How is it my 2011 Civic Si is a better and funner car to drive?

And to anyone who thinks the STI is a daily driver is retarded. I'd get a more comfortable ride rolling down the side of a mountain.

I have a whole new appreciation for my Si that I'm bored with so it's time to get in line for a BRZ. I'm sure getting an extra 20-30+ minimum will be quite easy to do with that car. A Civic Si isn't fast, but it sure does feel that way. I've freaked out friends an ex gf's that thought I was doing 100 just from opening up the vtech.

Fuck your wrx or sti. It's a good car if u don't have highways and paved roads where u live.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ngabdala For This Useful Post:
titusdrake (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #94
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
I finally got behind the wheel for the first time ever of the car I've dreamed about for 10 years. The 2012 WRX STI.

What a hunk of crap! I couldn't believe it. It was this bloated, machine, that I was operating.

How is it my 2011 Civic Si is a better and funner car to drive?

And to anyone who thinks the STI is a daily driver is retarded. I'd get a more comfortable ride rolling down the side of a mountain.

I have a whole new appreciation for my Si that I'm bored with so it's time to get in line for a BRZ. I'm sure getting an extra 20-30+ minimum will be quite easy to do with that car. A Civic Si isn't fast, but it sure does feel that way. I've freaked out friends an ex gf's that thought I was doing 100 just from opening up the vtech.

Fuck your wrx or sti. It's a good car if u don't have highways and paved roads where u live.
Lol. Wrx soundsgood on paper, but the computers do all the work. The fr s feels awesome to drive. Also all the dealers mark up wrxs because they are rare. The realistic price for one is 30 or more
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #95
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
Lol. Wrx soundsgood on paper, but the computers do all the work. The fr s feels awesome to drive. Also all the dealers mark up wrxs because they are rare. The realistic price for one is 30 or more

Guy who drove an FRS on public streets is getting pro racecar driver on us now

Let's be real. We're talking about a fun, nice, everyday car. To have the computers start doing a bunch of work, requires pushing the car a bit...and not in a straight line. Which shouldn't be happening on public roads anyways. Now, for those who are going to track the car and actually push the car on closed courses or wherever, I can see the appeal of the FRS and the raw un-altered connection between the driver and the car.

For the street on day to day commute..who gives a rats ass. *sarcastic quote* Oh the GTR sounds good on paper but the computers do all the work. The FRS feels better. Ignorance.

Also, in regards to your comment about price. I don't mean to boast or brag...but the WRX MSRP is about 26k. I have yet to see a markup on a WRX at a dealer yet. I just helped my buddy back home in AZ get one for 25,2xx plus tax, title etc. which came out to under 28. Mine came out closer to 27 AND THAT WAS WITH the leftover balance from my trade in rolled over. 30k is definitely exaggerated. The STi is even right at MSRP at dealers. The Evos are the cars I'm always seeing marked up, especially now that this is the last year they're selling the Evo X.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #96
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Guy who drove an FRS on public streets is getting pro racecar driver on us now

Let's be real. We're talking about a fun, nice, everyday car. To have the computers start doing a bunch of work, requires pushing the car a bit...and not in a straight line. Which shouldn't be happening on public roads anyways. Now, for those who are going to track the car and actually push the car on closed courses or wherever, I can see the appeal of the FRS and the raw un-altered connection between the driver and the car.

For the street on day to day commute..who gives a rats ass. *sarcastic quote* Oh the GTR sounds good on paper but the computers do all the work. The FRS feels better. Ignorance.

Also, in regards to your comment about price. I don't mean to boast or brag...but the WRX MSRP is about 26k. I have yet to see a markup on a WRX at a dealer yet. I just helped my buddy back home in AZ get one for 25,2xx plus tax, title etc. which came out to under 28. Mine came out closer to 27 AND THAT WAS WITH the leftover balance from my trade in rolled over. 30k is definitely exaggerated. The STi is even right at MSRP at dealers. The Evos are the cars I'm always seeing marked up, especially now that this is the last year they're selling the Evo X.
with all of your experience with the gtr, why are you driving a nissan or scion? i can tell you that i enjoyed my miata more than i enjoyed my friends wrx by a significant margin and my other friends evo x by a smaller margin.

i agree that cars shouldnt be pushed on public roads but there is a lot to be said about being able to spend more time around the limits of the car. driving a gtr at 45 miles i would imagine is purely pedestrian. in my old miata or ae86 it seemed exciting.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #97
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
with all of your experience with the gtr, why are you driving a nissan or scion? i can tell you that i enjoyed my miata more than i enjoyed my friends wrx by a significant margin and my other friends evo x by a smaller margin.

i agree that cars shouldnt be pushed on public roads but there is a lot to be said about being able to spend more time around the limits of the car. driving a gtr at 45 miles i would imagine is purely pedestrian. in my old miata or ae86 it seemed exciting.
A GTR is a Nissan

I have yet to drive a new GTR and I never said I did. I was giving an example to his comment about the wrx being less of a car simply cause of computers interacting with the car.

I have driven a relatively stock R34 and I thought it was a great car. Most of the cars I've driven have been on public roads though. I've driven a few cars on the track, mostly just my own s14. I can say, now that I own one, the new WRX is a great car. There's a few minor things that I don't like and I will definitely be addressing those things but overall, I like it a lot. It feels good to be in a car thats enjoyable to drive on the street again..

Everybody will have their own opinion on every car. Each car has it's pros and cons and it's been discussed countless times. In the end, it comes down to the type of car YOU would rather spend your money and which car YOU would rather drive around. If I was shopping for a car that was strictly weekend/track car..BRZ in a HEARTBEAT. But I wasn't. I was shopping for a car I knew I was gonna keep for a long period of time and will be practical and still fun in the near future-when I have a kid. The WRX was at the same price point as these cars are going to be, so for me, it was a no brainer. But not everybody has the same mindset/priorities etc as me...so to each their own
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
D4ng3r (06-27-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #98
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
A GTR is a Nissan

I have yet to drive a new GTR and I never said I did. I was giving an example to his comment about the wrx being less of a car simply cause of computers interacting with the car.

I have driven a relatively stock R34 and I thought it was a great car. Most of the cars I've driven have been on public roads though. I've driven a few cars on the track, mostly just my own s14. I can say, now that I own one, the new WRX is a great car. There's a few minor things that I don't like and I will definitely be addressing those things but overall, I like it a lot. It feels good to be in a car thats enjoyable to drive on the street again..

Everybody will have their own opinion on every car. Each car has it's pros and cons and it's been discussed countless times. In the end, it comes down to the type of car YOU would rather spend your money and which car YOU would rather drive around. If I was shopping for a car that was strictly weekend/track car..BRZ in a HEARTBEAT. But I wasn't. I was shopping for a car I knew I was gonna keep for a long period of time and will be practical and still fun in the near future-when I have a kid. The WRX was at the same price point as these cars are going to be, so for me, it was a no brainer. But not everybody has the same mindset/priorities etc as me...so to each their own
i think that is the most civil response i have heard on these forums and on top of that, you managed to make some sense. bravo
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote