follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #4789
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
I've just hit CEL PO300 multiple cylinder misfire, car is idling rough and misfiring badly. I'm in stress mode.....
Just to ensure any misconception into the CEL PO300 and car misfiring, this has nothing to do with the tuning. Bill has almost given up his Sunday to help me out, which I am extremely grateful @DeliciousTuning.

The car is at Toyota and so far we have identified
Spark plug on cylinder 3 electrode totally burnt off, no ignition on bank 3.
We suspect the supercharger has packed up, it's dead and not blowing, fortunately I just received the replacement blower, which we exchanging. Keep am eye on your oil.
While we at it will double check coil packs, injector seals.
Got a small oil leak out the cam plate, which I'm replacing with Raceseng cam plate today.
Hopefully engine all safe and back on the road today.

Keep you posted.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #4790
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
So haven't been following tuning lately but has anyone done any Innovate maps via OFT?
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #4791
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As a pointer for all Innovate owners, these blowers eat oil MUCH faster than stated in the service intervals. I would check my supercharger oil at every motor oil change if I were you.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (06-17-2014), Dustin (06-17-2014), Khorne (06-17-2014), mikalem (06-17-2014), whataboutbob (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #4792
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
As a pointer for all Innovate owners, these blowers eat oil MUCH faster than stated in the service intervals. I would check my supercharger oil at every motor oil change if I were you.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
On that note what oil is everyone using, the manual says Redline 75W90NS oil i have the plain 75W90 on hand, has a friction modifier adidtive pack in it. Messaged Mark at Sprintex to see if that's cool.
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #4793
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,011 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne View Post
On that note what oil is everyone using, the manual says Redline 75W90NS oil i have the plain 75W90 on hand, has a friction modifier adidtive pack in it. Messaged Mark at Sprintex to see if that's cool.

Redline 75W90NS. As Zach said, be sure to CHECK THE OIL often.
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #4794
Cards2323

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited-SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
This was the FI route I was planning to take but this thread seems to make me a little nervous now....

Is anyone having issues with the carb tune or with a custom and minimal mods? Or is the charger setup itself causing everyone issues?
Cards2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #4795
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards2323 View Post
This was the FI route I was planning to take but this thread seems to make me a little nervous now....

Is anyone having issues with the carb tune or with a custom and minimal mods? Or is the charger setup itself causing everyone issues?
You can have issues even if you remain stock.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #4796
olorin

Drives: GBS Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I have no issues, the only custom thing I have is a smaller pulley. I am using the moto-east tune.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #4797
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin View Post
I have no issues, the only custom thing I have is a smaller pulley. I am using the moto-east tune.
I was talking back and forth with moto mike and I am considering trying their tune as well.

I spoke with Bill @ Delicious today a bit and he seems confident he has the sputtering issue figured out. I'm dumb when it comes to tuning so I won't try to explain but like I said before, he seemed confident that he's got it sorted out. Hopefully we'll have the update soon. I'd still like to get the moto-east tune just to see the difference in the tune. @moto-mike seems like a really good guy. I addressed some of my concerns to him and he was willing to have me sample their tune before purchasing to see if I was satisfied with theirs. to you for being willing to do that.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
Toyota86.ir (02-25-2016)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #4798
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
I was talking back and forth with moto mike and I am considering trying their tune as well.

I spoke with Bill @ Delicious today a bit and he seems confident he has the sputtering issue figured out. I'm dumb when it comes to tuning so I won't try to explain but like I said before, he seemed confident that he's got it sorted out. Hopefully we'll have the update soon. I'd still like to get the moto-east tune just to see the difference in the tune.
@moto mike seems like a really good guy. I addressed some of my concerns to him and he was willing to have me sample their tune before purchasing to see if I was satisfied with theirs. to you for being willing to do that.
both @moto-mike and @delicious are very responsive to questions and concerns - I have tunes from both (I like options!) and I have no problems recommending either.

I've been providing feedback to Bill on the misfire issues, hopefully he'll have something soon for everyone - the current revision I have looks to be solid numbers wise, I'm just looking for some last adjustments around ECUTEK features.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
Dustin (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #4799
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,011 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I ran the CARB tune for over 20K with no issues.
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #4800
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

We did find the hiccup in the tune, or the misfire people were having. When the supercharger is under light load, the 8.58 tune still continues a mix of port and direct injection through to redline. We were using this method in order to have linear input under all conditions but this has its drawbacks as we now see.

What we found was the MAP sensor will actually jump around quite a bit on the smaller pulleys a bit above 4.5K RPM, as much as 1.5 pounds of boost. We believe this is due to the supercharger itself causing the pulses of air to the MAP sensor as we have not seen it happen on other boosted vehicle. Because of this the port injectors will follow the same characteristics and cause the AFR ratio to jump up and down, between 13.0 and 15.0. This is causing the car to see drastic quick changes in the AFR which is causing the vehicle to hiccup/misfire in these conditions. FYI - This is NOT an issue on the CARB tune.

What we did to resolve this is go back to what Subaru did from the get go, run pure direct injection above 4K RPM so that the fuel delivery is smoother. Now with pure direct injection the AFR stay much closer to stoich. Now that we have that taken care of we spent a little more time refining the map more. So here is the list of updates to the new tune.

Final Testing in Progress - Here is the latest - Version Number To Be Announced

1. Hiccup/Misfire gone, confirmed by myself and two other customers on 70mm pulley and pump gas.
2. Smoother acceleration than before for pump gas cars especially on smaller pulleys from a dead stop and even when cold.
3. Smoother acceleration through the 3-4K rpm range. There was what felt like a slight dead spot, it is now gone and smoother through this area.
4. Better idle for auto's with smaller pulleys or cars with heavy loads on them. We spent some time spending time loading the engine up under idle and now have a tune to hold idle a LOT better.
5. We found some small spots in the tune where we could actually improve the fuel economy a little more. Though these are very minor they may add up over time.
6. We are finalizing testing on our 69mm pulley (slightly more boost), and so far the tune has been working great on it. So we might be adding this to our official tune.

I would like to put a quick note out there to Mike at Moto-East even though we never officially spoke. I believe Mike at Moto-East actually experienced the problem with the map sensor jumping around on these kits prior to us as we had heard this through EcuTeK. I believe he was testing some larger MAP sensors so people could read boost but the downfall was how drastic the jumps were on the MAP sensor causing the car to stumble a bit in power. This very insight gave us the knowledge to look at this measurement specifically so we could determine what was going. So I would like to thank Mike at Moto-East for that tid-bit of information.

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
calispec (06-17-2014), CK_Bladesmith (06-17-2014), Dustin (06-17-2014), Ethan (06-18-2014), mikalem (06-17-2014), TemeCal (06-17-2014), whataboutbob (06-17-2014), xjohnx (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #4801
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
We did find the hiccup in the tune, or the misfire people were having. When the supercharger is under light load, the 8.58 tune still continues a mix of port and direct injection through to redline. We were using this method in order to have linear input under all conditions but this has its drawbacks as we now see.

What we found was the MAP sensor will actually jump around quite a bit on the smaller pulleys a bit above 4.5K RPM, as much as 1.5 pounds of boost. We believe this is due to the supercharger itself causing the pulses of air to the MAP sensor as we have not seen it happen on other boosted vehicle. Because of this the port injectors will follow the same characteristics and cause the AFR ratio to jump up and down, between 13.0 and 15.0. This is causing the car to see drastic quick changes in the AFR which is causing the vehicle to hiccup/misfire in these conditions. FYI - This is NOT an issue on the CARB tune.

What we did to resolve this is go back to what Subaru did from the get go, run pure direct injection above 4K RPM so that the fuel delivery is smoother. Now with pure direct injection the AFR stay much closer to stoich. Now that we have that taken care of we spent a little more time refining the map more. So here is the list of updates to the new tune.

Final Testing in Progress - Here is the latest - Version Number To Be Announced

1. Hiccup/Misfire gone, confirmed by myself and two other customers on 70mm pulley and pump gas.
2. Smoother acceleration than before for pump gas cars especially on smaller pulleys from a dead stop and even when cold.
3. Smoother acceleration through the 3-4K rpm range. There was what felt like a slight dead spot, it is now gone and smoother through this area.
4. Better idle for auto's with smaller pulleys or cars with heavy loads on them. We spent some time spending time loading the engine up under idle and now have a tune to hold idle a LOT better.
5. We found some small spots in the tune where we could actually improve the fuel economy a little more. Though these are very minor they may add up over time.
6. We are finalizing testing on our 69mm pulley (slightly more boost), and so far the tune has been working great on it. So we might be adding this to our official tune.

I would like to put a quick note out there to Mike at Moto-East even though we never officially spoke. I believe Mike at Moto-East actually experienced the problem with the map sensor jumping around on these kits prior to us as we had heard this through EcuTeK. I believe he was testing some larger MAP sensors so people could read boost but the downfall was how drastic the jumps were on the MAP sensor causing the car to stumble a bit in power. This very insight gave us the knowledge to look at this measurement specifically so we could determine what was going. So I would like to thank Mike at Moto-East for that tid-bit of information.

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning

Is the 69 mm pulley going to be detrimental to the blower in regards to going over it's redline?
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #4802
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
Is the 69 mm pulley going to be detrimental to the blower in regards to going over it's redline?
Very good question. I have spoken to Innovate about this and the 69mm pulley is actually within spec of the superchargers limits. Though going much below this will place the supercharger in a grey area.

I do from what Sprintex has told us that there are race teams around the world running pulleys smaller, as small as 63mm, but this is well beyond the original spec of the supercharger and of course not recommended for daily use.

Also much smaller than 69mm on 91 octane is getting to a point of diminishing returns on 91 octane. Though 93 and 94 might be better off and of course E85 will soak it up and love it.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.