follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #1093
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4wt View Post
i hope that reaction is a positive one lol. i have had great experiences with mine so far but lack of updated maps is a bit annoying. my blocks should be in this week, i guess we'll see how everything works out.
Be sure to let us know. I'm considering ordering a set and I'll be eager to her your impression of it with the Unichip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_Sam View Post
My car runs great with the blocks. I still think it needs fine tuning.
Still worth it though
I agree, although it may be tuning that isn't possible with Unichip as it's set up on our cars. Reading through some of the other threads on the the power blocks they mentioned things like tuning VVT.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #1094
FRSGeek

Drives: UltraMarine 6 Spd MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What I made bold bothers me. If the ECU and UniChip will see the airflow and react to the changed airflow and react accordingly then we don't need different maps.

If that is the case please jump in and EXPLAIN how that dynamic of the BPB is no different where as the CAI of MANY brands do require new maps. UniChip Jack has stated in the past that intake matters more than the exhaust on the back end with the UniChip. So a different airflow with the BPB would need different map as any CAI would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_Sam View Post
I've already PM'd him about this when I ordered the BPBs a few weeks ago. No new maps. The ecu and Unichip will see the airflow and react accordingly.
Regards,

Ron
'13 Ultra Marine 6MT:AVO Stg 1.5 T, Berk Tech Cat'd FP, Perrin OP & 2.5" cat back, WinMax W3F/W2R, 18x8.5et44 Rota, 245/35R18's, Drift-Office EcuTek Tune, Cusco Strt Twr & Rear brace and Grimspeed hood struts.
FRSGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #1095
6speed_Sam
Thumper

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSGeek View Post
What I made bold bothers me. If the ECU and UniChip will see the airflow and react to the changed airflow and react accordingly then we don't need different maps.

If that is the case please jump in and EXPLAIN how that dynamic of the BPB is no different where as the CAI of MANY brands do require new maps. UniChip Jack has stated in the past that intake matters more than the exhaust on the back end with the UniChip. So a different airflow with the BPB would need different map as any CAI would.

Regards,

Ron
I know what you mean. I agree. Just stating what I was told. I would like a tune for these.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #1096
neutron256

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSGeek View Post

Regards,

Ron
I agree as well. If they haven't tried tuning it they can't really know. I would like to see a response from @Unichip Jack here on the fourm.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #1097
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Thinking about getting the power blocks as well. Would like Unichip to provide a Tune with that of the Perrin CAI for 'optimum performance'.
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #1098
FJ/BRZ

Drives: FJ Cruiser, BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So first off I'm reading through this entire thread and am presently on page 36. Lots of whiny ______ who can't take a hint. But also lots of good info. Jack you have superhuman patience wow. Anyhow bought my 2014 brz may 16, still in break-in mode, and this arrives today Odered Monday, shipped Tuesday, arrives in Montreal,Qc Thursday. What a world. (Told the wife it's just something to improve fuel economy haha).

Can't wait to install in a few weeks probably, or maybe I'll wait a few more just to get totally used to stock driving to better tune-in my Butt Dyno. Thanks for the speedy service Jack, and for all the info you have provided in this thread. i don't know how you do it lol.
FJ/BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #1099
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Guys, sorry for my absence but I’ve been wrapped up with getting three projects through R&D and out into the world. If you ever find yourself “waiting” for me to answer something please smack me in the head with a PM to get my attention and I’ll be on it.

There’s a lot of confusion about modifications that impact the “calibration” vs. those that impact “power.Some changes affect both, some affect one but not the other, and some impact neither.

It’s a distinction between actual airflow and sensed airflow. The how and why gets really dry and into the flow of compressible fluids but the bottom line is spacers may well impact power but have no impact on the calibration.

The OE “scales” the MAF output so any specific voltage equates to a discrete, specific airflow and the ECU injects the amount of fuel for that airflow. As long as you don’t change the scaling, the MAF’s voltage still equates to the “correct” specific airflow and life is good. A modification might change how much air is processing at a specific RPM, but the MAF output will still be accurate… again just at that new RPM. If you change out the exhaust, the engine may flow more air at 4500 RPM, but the ECU will correctly perceive that change because the MAF will correctly report it.

However, if you rescale the MAF, everything is now out of whack. Let’s say the scaling says a MAF output of 3.5v means 100 g/s of airflow. That doesn’t mean the MAF senses 100 g/s of air, it means that what's actually touching the MAF is what would touch it inside the stock size intake tube if 100 g/s were flowing through the tube. Let’s increase the tube size by 20% but don’t change the MAF or rescale anything. When the amount of air flowing past the MAF causes it to output 3.5v (because the air flowing over the MAF is the same as it was earlier) there’s actually 120 g/s flowing through the tube because the tube is larger but the MAF only knows what’s “touching” it. In this example, the engine will run lean because there’s 20% more air actually entering the engine than the ECU senses.

Most intakes rescale the MAF… some by design, some by happenstance. Spacers don’t rescale the MAF in any way which means any actual airflow change will be accurately sensed by the MAF so both the OE ECU and the Unichip will correctly sense and adjust to the change.

We haven’t tried these on our car, but we have worked with similar systems on lots of platforms. Some work well, some don’t do much, but none require much of a calibration adjustment.

Not to completely change the subject, but one of the projects I just wrapped up is a new intake for the FT86 platforms… http://www.unichip.us/products/128-FT-Cold-Air-Intake-System-RED-

If you’re in the market, we’re offering a forum special… http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67244

If you already have a Unichip, we're happy to sell the intake separately as well.

As always, thanks for all your support and either PM or call if we can answer any questions.
Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #1100
FJ/BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
@Unichip Jack any plans to add a tune for the Crawford Billet Power Blocks?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=Power+blocks
Was this question answered?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #1101
neutron256

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ/BRZ View Post
Was this question answered?
Nope
FJ/BRZ (06-14-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #1102
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Nope
quoted from Unichip jack, "Most intakes rescale the MAF… some by design, some by happenstance. Spacers don’t rescale the MAF in any way which means any actual airflow change will be accurately sensed by the MAF so both the OE ECU and the Unichip will correctly sense and adjust to the change. "
It's all about how much air hits the MAF, and about how much air is flowing at a given velocity. The MAF doesn't measure airflow with a teaspoon, it measures velocity only. The "mass" of air is calculated based on velocity times the diameter of the stock intake. The MAF is affected dramatically by the size and design of the intake, as well as where the MAF is placed in the intake. Power blocks, or spacers are downstream of the MAF, so they don't need additional compensation like an intake does. Does that answer your question?
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
FJ/BRZ (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #1103
FJ/BRZ

I don't see where you quoted all that from but it certainly answered my Question thank you
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #1104
BadKernel

Drives: Scion Fr-s Manuel Raven
Issue for reset account for download

Hi,

I'M not able to acces map download site. I not remember user and password and not able map database. Can you help to reset this. I have the proof of cable buy and need to acces map database to repgrom my unichip with new map.

Tony or another Unichip staff can help me please

Thanks
BadKernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #1105
neutron256

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKernel View Post
Hi,

I'M not able to acces map download site. I not remember user and password and not able map database. Can you help to reset this. I have the proof of cable buy and need to acces map database to repgrom my unichip with new map.

Tony or another Unichip staff can help me please

Thanks
Email them from the Unichip website for access issues.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #1106
KVDB31

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphault
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
@Unichip Jack

I've searched the forums and I can't find the answer to this question... sorry if a repost!

Are there maps available for the 3" Big MAF Perrin CAI? Or can the standard 2.5" CAI maps be used with this? Seems like they would likely be different.

Their website mentions that the 3" version is specifically for cars with tunes.

Thanks in advance for your help
TSW Nurburgring 18x8, BFG Comp-2 235/40, KW V3's w/ Vorshlags, ECUTek by Evasive, Injen intake, FT86 Header, Motiv OP/DP, Nameless Axleback, 4.88 Weir gears, Subaru Legacy GT brakes, Five Axis spoiler, Shark Fin, 3000k HID's, LED goodies

Last edited by KVDB31; 09-08-2014 at 10:27 PM.
KVDB31 is offline   Reply With Quote