follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Will a home surveillance system affect home value?
Yes, increase value 2 28.57%
Yes, decrease value 0 0%
No 2 28.57%
Doesn't matter 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
mx5 2nr

Drives: FRS/NA1/'12 Mustang/'97 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Home Surveillance Systems

Anyone install one on their home? I'm talking about the kind that has 4 or 8 cameras, and a dvr to record.

I've been contemplating buying an "all in one" system to keep tabs on the exterior of the house, but I'm thinking more serious about it now. I'm wondering if it's a deterrant or an attractant to potential home buyers though. We're hoping to put the houes on the market in the next few months... The house/neighborhood is in a decent part of town, we're kinda sandwiched between a higher end area, and kinda lower end. Theft isnt' too much of a concern normally, but over the last couple of years there's been a few people that have gotten their wheels stolen from their driveway.

The main reason that I'm more serious about it now, is because last night someone tried to steal the wheels on my wife's car ('12 Mustang with the Pony package - has 18" factory chrome mesh wheels, nothing special). They got the passenger front and got 3 of the 5 lug nuts off the passenger rear. It was parked in our driveway, and it's under a light, but my neighbor's van blocks the view of it from the side. It provided a little bit of shelter from view for the theives. A camera could have easily been set up to view happenings on the driveway & the front of the house.

So my question to you guys is multi-fold - do you think it would help/hurt the sale of a house? And to those that have one - how hard is it to install, and what should I be looking for if I decide to buy one?
'12 Mustang - wife's
mx5 2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I voted that it doesn't matter, but in reality it could go either way.

You'll get some people who will think it's great.

You'll get an equally large group asking "why do they need this, is this neighborhood unsafe or prone to theft?"
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
mx5 2nr (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
No and Doesn't Matter seem like the same vote to me. If deciding between two nearly identical houses except one has the system and one doesn't and they are priced the exact same, they will pick the house that they like the color of the front door better.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
mx5 2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
No and Doesn't Matter seem like the same vote to me. If deciding between two nearly identical houses except one has the system and one doesn't and they are priced the exact same, they will pick the house that they like the color of the front door better.

you know... I didn't notice they were basically saying the same thing until after I hit submit on my post...
'12 Mustang - wife's
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yup, what the king said.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
mx5 2nr (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Doesn't matter. Needs more garage.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
mx5 2nr (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
scary alien

Drives: Asphalt 6AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5 2nr View Post
Anyone install one on their home? I'm talking about the kind that has 4 or 8 cameras, and a dvr to record.
I've got a setup that I put together myself over the last several years (a multi-pronged approach):

* http://www.sighthound.com/ (formerly Vitamin D) software that runs on a desktop PC

It can record full-motion video, multiple cameras, supports a wide-variety of camera types, motion detection w/triggers / alerts, record video to disk, upload video to FTP, etc. I researched a lot of things before settling on this software.

Not sure how much it costs now, but it was $200 when it was Vitamin D for an unlimited camera license and then I paid $75 (I think ) to upgrade when they became Sighthound. Several nice upgrades since the software changed hands.

* companion Android app for the above software: Sighthound Video (free)

Can view, enable, disable individual cameras and recorded video. Very nice.

(I presume they make an iOS version of this app, but not sure..).

* I've got a fairly beefy (or it was at the time) desktop PC my son built for me that has a fast CPU and a separate external disk drive for recording the video (Windows 7 Pro, 3.10 GHz Intel (4 cores), 8GB memory).

* currently six wi-fi cameras, mostly Axis cameras (AXIS M1004-W -- about $180 each on Amazon)

These are fixed cameras, not pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) ones (I thought about the PTZ ones before, but haven't pulled the trigger yet). Cams can also be setup to define motion detection areas and email triggers, etc.

* IP Cam Viewer Pro ($3.99) Android app for viewing above wifi cameras. Excellent app...had it for years. I know the dev--he's constantly updating it and supporting new cameras, features (record to SD card, motion detection, etc...I don't use these feature on my phone, though--I rely on the software and cameras to auto-trigger alerts). The dev, Robert Chou, does indeed make an iOS version of this app.

I mainly use this app for viewing my cameras. I keep an old, no longer in-service Android phone at my desk with a view of all of my cameras up while I work...

Cheers!

scary alien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
mx5 2nr (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
mx5 2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Doesn't matter. Needs more garage.
100% agreed. It had been predetermined that one of the deal-breaking features of the next house is at least a 3 car garage. I'd like to be able to design part of the garage with a ceiling height tall enough to accomodate a lift, but we'll see on that. This just reconfirmed our desire for the 3-car garage though...

@scary alien - Whoa! That is intense, I pity the fool to mess with your stuff!!! Great info, and if you don't mind I might pm you to pick your brain a little more.
'12 Mustang - wife's
The Following User Says Thank You to mx5 2nr For This Useful Post:
scary alien (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
scary alien

Drives: Asphalt 6AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5 2nr View Post
@scary alien - Whoa! That is intense, I pity the fool to mess with your stuff!!! Great info, and if you don't mind I might pm you to pick your brain a little more.

Yeah, I actually ramped-up my setup about 2.5 years ago when I was watching my cameras from here at work one Friday morning at about 9:30 AM and saw two individuals in my home and a car in my driveway who did not belong.

I called 911 here from work and explained what was going on. The patrol car that was dispatched was just down the street getting gas, so he was there pretty quickly. I saw the two burglars finally notice my cameras and start turning them off, but the missed the one pointing out towards the driveway, so I got an excellent view of the first responding police car pull up in my driveway.

I missed all of the action since I headed home right away. When I arrived, there were policemen EVERYWHERE, LOL. The two guys were apprehended and jailed. Many high fives were exchanged with our fine police officers (they were pretty stoked ).

Didn't really lose anything other than some minor jewelry of my wife's (inexpensive ear rings, etc. that they tossed away while fleeing the scene).

Damage was limited to a kicked-in front door (subsequently replaced with a much stronger one and security frame, etc.), a broken DVD player (ripped-out plug), and the hassle of re-setting up all of the electronics they were trying to steal.

Funny part is all of the folks that made fun of me for having the cameras and such prior to this really changed their tune afterwards.

scary alien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-13-2014), mx5 2nr (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
mx5 2nr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post

Yeah, I actually ramped-up my setup about 2.5 years ago when I was watching my cameras from here at work one Friday morning at about 9:30 AM and saw two individuals in my home and a car in my driveway who did not belong.

I called 911 here from work and explained what was going on. The patrol car that was dispatched was just down the street getting gas, so he was there pretty quickly. I saw the two burglars finally notice my cameras and start turning them off, but the missed the one pointing out towards the driveway, so I got an excellent view of the first responding police car pull up in my driveway.

I missed all of the action since I headed home right away. When I arrived, there were policemen EVERYWHERE, LOL. The two guys were apprehended and jailed. Many high fives were exchanged with our fine police officers (they were pretty stoked ).

Didn't really lose anything other than some minor jewelry of my wife's (inexpensive ear rings, etc. that they tossed away while fleeing the scene).

Damage was limited to a kicked-in front door (subsequently replaced with a much stronger one and security frame, etc.), a broken DVD player (ripped-out plug), and the hassle of re-setting up all of the electronics they were trying to steal.

Funny part is all of the folks that made fun of me for having the cameras and such prior to this really changed their tune afterwards.

Holy crap!!! That is awesome that you caught those guys!!!! That has got to be a crazy feeling watching strangers break into your home!

Well, I went ahead and picked up an 8 camera/dvr setup from Sam's Club on Saturday for like $500. I'm planning on installing it this weekend. Seems pretty simple, and I have experience routing wires in the attic/dropping them down the walls - I installed a 7.1 home theatre & my deck speakers myself...

As far as resale and whatnot - when we list the house for sale, I'll take into consideration what the listing agent thinks... If they think it's an eyesore, I'll remove it...
'12 Mustang - wife's
The Following User Says Thank You to mx5 2nr For This Useful Post:
scary alien (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
To be honest, the amount of "Increased" value does not offset yearly fees associated with a home surveillance system.

at least in my opinion.

But you have to account for personal value of "peace of mind" and all that mumbo jumbo.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote