follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #29
fredfromnh

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drag racing bikes as well as flat track has taught me that smoother torque curves usually feel slower but are actually faster. Smooth is fast. Ass dyno needs recalibration.
fredfromnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@fredfromnh comes out of nowhere with the rare 5-post!
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Malt (06-05-2014), wparsons (06-04-2014), ZionsWrath (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #31
fredfromnh

Yeah I'm on vacation, ol lady needs "space" so I figured I'd subject u guys to my input. Forgive me for being enthusiastic about an inexpensive tune that has improved my car. BTW I had visconti tune in first motor and was very happy. I don't like Rev limit too high though and I hate making mortgage payment every time I change something. If John did open flash I would have gone with him. Shiv has his shit together. I used to tune bikes with his prerogative, as much fuel as possible without power loss. Dyno runs can look beautiful by leaning out fuel curve but 1 dyno pull and rush hour traffic definitely are different. These things sound ugly when they explode.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
fredfromnh

Are inlet hoses bs? Do they give repeatable gains or are they placebo?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #33
fredfromnh

I have old 97 sentra as beater. As a goof I put some cheapy "stage 2" resistor between O2 sensor and ecu. Holy mother of God. The car must have picked up 20 horse. Goes to show u every car is different. No way would I try tuning the frs on my own. Toyota needs to get their head out of their ass as far as promotion. I get at least 5 questions a week about car. 2 out of five think it's some euro trash brand and 1 out of 5 scratch their heads when I say scion. When I picked my car up from dealer they had it indoors and people were damn near dry humping it. Couldn't believe it was toyota.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #34
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
Bought OFT Thursday, got it Monday! wooo! One bad thing though...

I installed it by connecting to ECU, reading, and then when I was supposed to turn off ignition, somehow I thought it said to disconnect cable. Upon reconnecting and turning the ignition back on, I realized that something was amiss...

Now I can't read or write and the tablet seems completely useless.

Is there anything I can do to get back up and running? I think I am completely and utterly screwed, screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to get drunk. Thanks for any help.
If you need any help, just let me know.

-Dylan.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #35
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
Bought OFT Thursday, got it Monday! wooo! One bad thing though...

I installed it by connecting to ECU, reading, and then when I was supposed to turn off ignition, somehow I thought it said to disconnect cable. Upon reconnecting and turning the ignition back on, I realized that something was amiss...

Now I can't read or write and the tablet seems completely useless.

Is there anything I can do to get back up and running? I think I am completely and utterly screwed, screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to get drunk. Thanks for any help.
If you need any help, just let me know.

-Dylan.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #36
fredfromnh

Just knocked It down to 6.1 from dead start. Installing cpbs now. Trick for launch is to leave at enough rpms to let car climb easily to peak and shift a hair past peak so next gear engages in middle of upper torque band. Don't like doing that too much but unfortunately necessary to make her eat.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #37
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfromnh View Post
Just knocked It down to 6.1 from dead start. Installing cpbs now. Trick for launch is to leave at enough rpms to let car climb easily to peak and shift a hair past peak so next gear engages in middle of upper torque band. Don't like doing that too much but unfortunately necessary to make her eat.
It's almost always better to shift at redline, shifting at the torque peak doesn't factor in the gear ratio advantage of the lower gear.

If you *really* want to figure out the optimal shift points you have to chart out what the power being applied to the wheels (power * full gear ratio) is at a bunch of intervals in each gear, and shift when the power getting to the wheels is going to be higher in the next gear, or at redline.

In a vehicle with a really low power peak and long gears you might be shifting before redline, but in a car with a powerband like these and short gears you'll find that redline is where you want to be shifting.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #38
fredfromnh

Imo when installing flash, take dumb dumb approach and fixate on instructions. Don't improvise or embellish. Stay calm and work slowly. Definitely install cable gently. My obd port had been frigged with umpteen times by dealer mechanics so I have to make double sure connection is good.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #39
fredfromnh

With stage 1 red line shifts might work but with stock tune I try to avoid letting power drop off. I've found that good times come with say 30 percent wheel spin thru first gear. Too much traction seems to make the times go up most likely from lack of torque.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #40
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
This is exactly why I love ecutek auto recovery, especially with the flaky odb2 ports some of these cars have (or after you've flashed a few hundred times lol). Saved me more times than I can count.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #41
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
This is exactly why I love ecutek auto recovery, especially with the flaky odb2 ports some of these cars have (or after you've flashed a few hundred times lol). Saved me more times than I can count.

Have not managed to fail a flash on OFT yet but you should just be able to flash back your stock rom from oft and then try again.

Had a couple of failed partial writes with tactrix ecuflash due dodgy obd sockets but as their is no licence info or anything you just erase and flash again, no dramas.

What does auto recovery do in ecutek other than recover from not being able to read the embedded licence info in rom. As i understand it most flashes involve erasing entire rom then writing, except for brzedit which can do partial writes as well as its seed key changes ect.. But if your not looking for licence or locks or seed key changes you should be able to just erase the failed flash and write again .

Assuming you have not clobbered the oem boot loader area which you shouldn,t be wtiting to anyway
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (06-05-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #42
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Hooked it up and the same thing happened, but this time I followed the instructions. It actually does say to turn off the ignition and disconnect. It has a little okay you can press that brings you back to the main menu... which is misleading... Anyhow, now I am in the same situation I was in Monday. Can't read or write. I guess it doesn't actually come loaded with tunes on it? I was under the impression that I was buying an OFT that was already personalized for my vehicle's mods?(Hence the mods list I filled out when buying your product.) Seems I shipped my tablet to and from your office for absolutely no reason at all besides to waste time and money.
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote