follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #99
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
I have reorganized the beginning of the thread in an attempt to make things somewhat easier to find.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a clip from my latest Autocross endeavor. Unfortunately I was only able to get my first run recorded. I was also retarded and couldn't figure out how to use my tow hook adapter so the cameras is in the usual spot. If you listen closely you can hear the BOV when I let off, also you can definitely tell how raspy the exhaust is now lol. Enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2dUdPbIEm8"]CDC Autocross 3/22/14 - TOYOTA GT86 w/ AVO Turbo Kit Stage 2 - YouTube[/ame]
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #100
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Just went to an autocross today. Tested out my new PTuning GoPro tow hook mount. Turbo makes a ton of noise with my custom open intake + 100% vent BOV lol. Enjoy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOifGO9Yw8"]CDC Autocross 5/25/14 - TOYOTA GT86 w/ AVO Turbo Kit - YouTube[/ame]

More technical woes as the GoPro died pretty early on. Still trying to decide on the best positioning for sound and view, probably going to incorporate an engine mic + in-cabin view for the next experiment.
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #101
protpibe
Senior Member
 
protpibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 253
Thanked 839 Times in 459 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Sounds good! I'm surprised there isn't any wind nolse .Did you use an external mic?

Here's what an engine bay mic sounds like mounted just behind the drivers side headlight on the fender.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulq1KZjWW4o"]Turbo Noises External Mic - YouTube[/ame]
__________________
Top Tier Imports - Check out my build journal HERE
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #102
Jyn
Noob
 
Jyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,594
Thanks: 577
Thanked 888 Times in 485 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku View Post
Just went to an autocross today. Tested out my new PTuning GoPro tow hook mount. Turbo makes a ton of noise with my custom open intake + 100% vent BOV lol. Enjoy.



More technical woes as the GoPro died pretty early on. Still trying to decide on the best positioning for sound and view, probably going to incorporate an engine mic + in-cabin view for the next experiment.
lol you smacked the shit out of that cone!! The GoPro sounds really good in that location... not much wind noise like someone else said. Was that using the mic there or did you have another one??
__________________
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #103
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
lol you smacked the shit out of that cone!! The GoPro sounds really good in that location... not much wind noise like someone else said. Was that using the mic there or did you have another one??
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Sounds good! I'm surprised there isn't any wind nolse .Did you use an external mic?

Here's what an engine bay mic sounds like mounted just behind the drivers side headlight on the fender.

*video*
No external mic yet. That is the GoPro on the tow hook and that's it. I couldn't believe how loud the BOV is from that position, I was hoping to hear some jet noises from the turbo but the intake hiss is overpowering. Still I like it.

I saw your video on the AVO owner's topic I think. Sounds awesome too. How did you manage to vent to atmosphere without massive backfiring? Did you have the MAF relocated like I did?
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.

Last edited by nataku; 05-25-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling derp
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #104
kanundrum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 5,364
Thanks: 2,704
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Welcome to the Gopro right in front of the pshhh pshhh noise location club! LOL. Its amazing when you get to record those sounds!
__________________
Ive spent most of my life racing... The rest I just wasted
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #105
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer
 
Turkish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,326
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 656 Times in 441 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Sounds like a Star Wars pod racer lol
__________________
For those who hear him call...

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #106
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Sounds like a Star Wars pod racer lol
Hahaha oh man I dunno if you meant that as a compliment or not but that's actually spot on...
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #107
protpibe
Senior Member
 
protpibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 253
Thanked 839 Times in 459 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku View Post
No external mic yet. That is the GoPro on the tow hook and that's it. I couldn't believe how loud the BOV is from that position, I was hoping to hear some jet noises from the turbo but the intake hiss is overpowering. Still I like it.

I saw your video on the AVO owner's topic I think. Sounds awesome too. How did you manage to vent to atmosphere without massive backfiring? Did you have the MAF relocated like I did?
I'm running a speed density tune with a MAP sensor, but it still backfires from time to time. The MAF sensor isn't used anymore

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
Top Tier Imports - Check out my build journal HERE
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #108
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
I'm running a speed density tune with a MAP sensor, but it still backfires from time to time. The MAF sensor isn't used anymore

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Yeah mine will still backfire under the right conditions. Basically build a lot of boost then let off and clutch-in without giving it time to vent.

I have a speed-density tune as well so maybe it's a MAP now. I'm moderately mechanically retarded so I could be wrong lol.
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #109
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer
 
Turkish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,326
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 656 Times in 441 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku View Post
Hahaha oh man I dunno if you meant that as a compliment or not but that's actually spot on...
I did NOT intend it as a take down on your car, it sounds different from any turbo I have heard and I think its actually kinda cool sounding.
__________________
For those who hear him call...

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #110
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Finally got a video of the exhaust from the back end of the car. Hope you guys enjoy. It's a little quiet for some reason so turn up the speakers, she SCREAMS!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNXsoOKLS0"]Toyota GT86 AVO Turbo Kit with FT86SpeedFactory Catback Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #111
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
I installed Louvers. Yup.



Here's my DIY / review thread.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69293
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #112
nataku
Negative Mass
 
nataku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 702
Thanks: 272
Thanked 347 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Detail day pictures with @kanundrum.

We started by removing the louvers and noticed the "louver-shaped" dirt on the read window.



Soaped up the car and saw the same pattern again lol.





Put some carbon deposit cleaner on the wheels. Purple essentially means brake dust.







After rinsing it off, running it over with some quick detail, and some clay bar this was the final result!









Car is so shiny now. Big thanks again, and love the quality of that Galaxy tablet camera.
__________________
Build thread for my Lovely Lady.
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
so boost much car, such orange wow blue


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PTUNING: FR-S/BRZ/GT86 Spec-SS Turbo System (Now Shipping) ptuning Forced Induction 151 09-23-2016 10:48 AM
Toyota GT86 TURBO vs McLaren MP4-12C TIE Pilot FR-S / BRZ vs.... 20 09-05-2013 01:56 PM
New Toyota GT86 TURBO vs McLaren MP4-12C pascalbrax FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 3 08-28-2013 02:36 PM
Race prepped GT86 + turbo vs McLaren MP4-12C tanner FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 0 08-27-2013 05:05 PM
Non USDM BRZ oil weight BMWDavid Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 3 06-21-2012 02:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.