follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #85
fredfromnh

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
At 25k I am on motor #3. First one blew rocker assembly off. Dealer did sloppy job replacing short block. Rtv got every where including oil passages. Felt it tie up on highway. Regional manager then got me hand assembled motor from factory. Everything new other than manifolds accessories etc. Seems good so far. I will avoid ecutek tuning as computer needed to be replaced 4 times. I was told that original toyobarus were a lot more powerful but were detuned as reliability issues cropped up in testing. I will continue to drive it like sports car. Toyota really took a hit on this one as last motor job alone cost them 10k. I'm any mods should be focused on power under the curve to avoid too much revs. I will probably get flamed for telling the truth but screw it.
fredfromnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredfromnh For This Useful Post:
dave77 (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #86
acg2010

Drives: 4 wheels/engine/seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annahra View Post
I would be concerned if all of the issues seemed related to a specific failure point, but other than the idle/CEL issue which seems to be resolved, there's no consistency.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Agree. There are bound to be bad engines in the lot, I'd be far more concerned if they all had the same problem leading to catastrophic failures.
acg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #87
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfromnh View Post
At 25k I am on motor #3. First one blew rocker assembly off. Dealer did sloppy job replacing short block. Rtv got every where including oil passages. Felt it tie up on highway. Regional manager then got me hand assembled motor from factory. Everything new other than manifolds accessories etc. Seems good so far. I will avoid ecutek tuning as computer needed to be replaced 4 times. I was told that original toyobarus were a lot more powerful but were detuned as reliability issues cropped up in testing. I will continue to drive it like sports car. Toyota really took a hit on this one as last motor job alone cost them 10k. I'm any mods should be focused on power under the curve to avoid too much revs. I will probably get flamed for telling the truth but screw it.
I believe it. This motor has always "seemed" detuned to me, though it's just a hunch.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #88
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave77 View Post
I believe it. This motor has always "seemed" detuned to me, though it's just a hunch.
With the insane amount of aftermarket attention this platform has been getting, including across two different manufacturing lines, your "hunch" that the motor is detuned may be a bit off. If it that were the case, wouldn't some tuner out there discovered a way to unlock this by now? Its only been almost 3 years now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #89
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
The first link is regarding a Perrin light crank pulley equipped engine with two crank bearing failures ...

You can extrapolate from there
I am all up for saying the engine is stout and all... But really...

I have the Perrin pulley since 1K miles... 16K miles now, 8K boosted, none of my mods seem to be spinning my bearings...
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #90
mothespaceman

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I would be concerned if all of the issues seemed related to a specific failure point, but other than the idle/CEL issue which seems to be resolved, there's no consistency.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Was the low idle issue actually ever resolved? I have a new '14 and the idle dips pretty hard on occasion while decelerating.
mothespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #91
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothespaceman View Post
Was the low idle issue actually ever resolved? I have a new '14 and the idle dips pretty hard on occasion while decelerating.
I resolved it by getting an OFT and stage 1 tune. I tried the factory reflash (Nov 12 build date) but it didn't really do anything other than make the car feel a bit more sluggish at high RPMs and they would still drop hard. Only downside to a tune is you pretty much have to run 93 if you are running it hard on a hot day, but I only put 93 in mine since I got it so it was no big deal.

I've heard Subaru puts some pretty shoddy tunes on their cars from the factory though to account for lower fuel grades, so I expected to have it tuned when I bought it.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #92
mothespaceman

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinshadow View Post
I resolved it by getting an OFT and stage 1 tune. I tried the factory reflash (Nov 12 build date) but it didn't really do anything other than make the car feel a bit more sluggish at high RPMs and they would still drop hard. Only downside to a tune is you pretty much have to run 93 if you are running it hard on a hot day, but I only put 93 in mine since I got it so it was no big deal.

I've heard Subaru puts some pretty shoddy tunes on their cars from the factory though to account for lower fuel grades, so I expected to have it tuned when I bought it.

Sweet, man! I've been running 93 since day one, so that is no big deal to me either.

I've been thinking of going Unichip as it's removable, is OFT pretty easy to use?
mothespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #93
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothespaceman View Post
Sweet, man! I've been running 93 since day one, so that is no big deal to me either.

I've been thinking of going Unichip as it's removable, is OFT pretty easy to use?
Super easy, literally 10 minutes and 3 button presses. It also saves a copy of your stock tune you can revert to later if need be.

Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xinshadow For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #94
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mine blew at 37K. This makes me less inclined to think it was due to the year old front end repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
One accident - pickup truck backed into it
$14,000 in parts/labor.
One thing to consider beyond what's already been discussed: If the engine was running during these wrecks and was brought to a sudden halt by the accident, there can be internal damage that is not apparent. Whenever a piston aircraft has a prop strike (the propeller hits the ground or some other object), FAA regulations require that the engine be disassembled and inspected, even if it's running fine after the strike. That's to avoid engines failing in mid-air because of undetected damage from the prop strike.

Obviously we don't have to worry about dead stick landings in our cars, but there have been plenty of cases where front end damage appeared to be cosmetic only but ultimately ended up causing an engine failure long after the insurance adjuster is gone. I had front end damage to my Jeep that cause the radiator to make contact with the fan and stop the engine, and I was sweating over the potential for internal damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, the secret is to get a really BIG monitor and set Windows to LARGE print ......
Here's my desk:

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #95
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Original as in the first retail models or prototype?
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #96
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oh the stories of Unicorn tears falling from the skies....
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-10-2014), gramicci101 (05-15-2014), HunterGreene (05-15-2014), strat61caster (05-15-2014), suaveflooder (05-17-2014), xwd (06-05-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #97
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Here's my desk:
Your desk needs to be cleaned.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #98
acg2010

Drives: 4 wheels/engine/seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
I finally got around to reading that last link: The guy hydrolocked his engine.
I think he's agreeing with you. I think he had a typo or something that may be confusing, but it sounds like he's saying the cars engine is pretty tough, and that it's rare cases that are having huge failures.
acg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine