follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #57
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FYI - the following link is for the laws in Minnesota which has standards (SAE) for hitches and I'm almost willing to bet they apply in most states. Since I don't gamble, I won't be betting, but I won't be breaking the rules either.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/msp/com...20Trailers.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
It likely was not designed for shear strength at all. However the fact the each single hole was built to pull the entire wight of the car (and then some likely), using BOTH of these holes should provide enough shear for a pretty lightweight tire/tools trailer. If the trailer is loaded properly with most the the weight over the trailer axel I would be ridiculously surprised if a failure resulted from the use I described. My buddies autoX trailer he pulls with his Miata is under 500lbs loaded with a set of tires and all of his jack/stands/tools.

Also the seller could provide a disclaimer or something for the purchaser to sign to release liability. I would also say "for off road use only," which many automotive products used on the street are advertised as.

Anyway, I can't wait to order this once it goes on sale! It's gonna make traveling further for autoX a lot easier!!!

Lastly I'm sorry I'm NOT sorry for a simple grammar error. You correct everyone's grammar on the forum?!? Must keep you busy.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #58
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

FYI - the following link is for the laws in Minnesota which has standards (SAE) for hitches and I'm almost willing to bet they apply in most states. Since I don't gamble, I won't be betting, but I won't be breaking the rules either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
DOT approval? I'm not sure if any trailer hitch companies go through DOT approval in the U.S. on their trailer hitches. I never saw anything about any DOT approval on my Kurt or UHaul hitches I've bought in the past.

My guess is if you take this hitch to your local DMV/DOT for "approval" you'll get one of these

Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #59
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

I understand if you think I'm over stepping my bounds, it's everyones safety that I'm concerned about. As I stated earlier in this post (#46), this is perfect for my needs. I even PM'd to Eric1855, the poorman's patent for you. Waiting to hear of the final product and price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambert View Post
Prototype #2 tuned out much moar better....

Last edited by Blu-by-U; 04-23-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Just the facts, Maam
Blu-by-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #60
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post

your link doesnt work
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #61
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Hitches or coupling devices
Hitches must meet SAE standards and must be approved by the commissioner of public safety. The hitch should be securely fastened to the frame of the towing vehicle. Except for vehicles equipped with a regulation fifth wheel and kingpin type coupling device, all trailers must be equipped with safety chains or cables which are permanently attached to the trailer and attached to the towing vehicle chassis at a point near the hitch. There should be only enough slack in the chains or cables to permit free turning of the vehicles. It is recommended that two chains or cables be used and crossed beneath the coupling device to act as a cradle to hold the trailer tongue off the ground in the event of a hitch failure.

I think that with the first sentence, I will rest my case.

Works now. Learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
your link doesnt work
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #62
Slambert

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Gents,

The hitch was designed in accordance with SAE J684 standards and has been tested beyond the ratings displayed through both FEA analysis and physical testing. I have not done destructive testing on a BRZ/FRS, but if anybody is willing the let me use their car for the testing, I will be happy to do so. As mentioned before, the hitch mounts to the factory tow hooks which "should" be rated from the manufacturer at the GVWR plus a safety factor for each tow hook.

As for pricing, the prices are what they are. The difference between my hitch and others available is the way it attaches to the vehicle. My hitch uses custom machined parts that cost much much more to fabricate/plate than a bent piece of steel plate that is painted/powdercoated with the rest of the hitch.
Slambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slambert For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (04-24-2014), Eric1855 (04-24-2014), smbstyle (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #63
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Most of my questions / concerns have now been answered. Thank you. Where as I have not been able to find similar information about hitches in KY, once again I have to ask about DOT approval? As shown, I will have to have DPS inspection and this would be easier if another State has already approved the design specs.

Quote:
Gents,

The hitch was designed in accordance with SAE J684 standards and has been tested beyond the ratings displayed through both FEA analysis and physical testing. I have not done destructive testing on a BRZ/FRS, but if anybody is willing the let me use their car for the testing, I will be happy to do so. As mentioned before, the hitch mounts to the factory tow hooks which "should" be rated from the manufacturer at the GVWR plus a safety factor for each tow hook.

As for pricing, the prices are what they are. The difference between my hitch and others available is the way it attaches to the vehicle. My hitch uses custom machined parts that cost much much more to fabricate/plate than a bent piece of steel plate that is painted/powdercoated with the rest of the hitch.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #64
Slambert

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post
Most of my questions / concerns have now been answered. Thank you. Where as I have not been able to find similar information about hitches in KY, once again I have to ask about DOT approval? As shown, I will have to have DPS inspection and this would be easier if another State has already approved the design specs.

KY does not do any kind of DOT approval/inspection. We don't even have state inspections on vehicles here. It's a really lenient state when it comes to DOT.
Slambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slambert For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #65
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Love the design and appreciate your efforts, wishing that I lived some where as open minded. I'm just trying to play right, in accordance, if you know what I mean. So now the question becomes, "if your design does not pass inspection (we are talking class 1) in MN, am I stuck with a useless purchase?

Quote:
KY does not do any kind of DOT approval/inspection. We don't even have state inspections on vehicles here. It's a really lenient state when it comes to DOT.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #66
Nm86

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Anybody taken a long trip and have mpg numbers? I'm planning to tow my trailer to Lincoln for spring nationals. It let's like 600 miles one way for me just want a rough estimate.
Nm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #67
VroomVroom

Drives: 2013 Red Subaru BRZ MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
will buy one now if available?
VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:
PoorMansRacing (05-16-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #68
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Agreed. Still waiting for a testimonial about how well the Twins tow a small amount of weight. I have the same trailer and if I pack my personal gear in the car, there's no room for tires and tools. I believe that the car is quite capable of handling light weights behind, just asking to hear from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm86 View Post
Anybody taken a long trip and have mpg numbers? I'm planning to tow my trailer to Lincoln for spring nationals. It let's like 600 miles one way for me just want a rough estimate.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #69
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nm86 View Post
have close to 3500 towing miles on mine.. With a tire trailer.. no Issues what so ever.... I have towed mine from Wisc to Toledo, Peru, and Lincoln and locally to Milwaukee numerous times.. MPG does suffer.. as I avg around 25 mpg towing the trailer. Hope to see you there. ..STX 68/168 ...

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
PoorMansRacing (05-16-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #70
Adeel

Drives: Black Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any idea on estimated time to finished product? I suggest you start a pre-order list to gauge real interest then require pre-payment once there are enough orders to justify bulk order.

I am definitely interested.
Adeel is offline   Reply With Quote