follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #2241
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate Race Shop View Post
Your thinking about the low pressure pump the high pressure pump is under the hood. They have to keep the high pressure pump as close to the injectors as possible for safety reasons. Also toyota openly admited it's a known problem with the pump and it was when the car was manufacutresd they tried to insulate around the pump to mask the noise according to the person I talked to.

Sent from my Q10
I looked it up after my reply. You're right. This is a bummer. I just gotta keep that rpm near 1k when I'm in a light or this might be an a great excuse to get a Borla UEL with a non resonated exhaust. Haha

And for the BBQ. I work pretty close to Xceepspeed. Is strangers welcome?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #2242
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Michigan BRZ/FRS Random Chat and spotted thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate Race Shop View Post
Your thinking about the low pressure pump the high pressure pump is under the hood. They have to keep the high pressure pump as close to the injectors as possible for safety reasons. Also toyota openly admited it's a known problem with the pump and it was when the car was manufacutresd they tried to insulate around the pump to mask the noise according to the person I talked to.

Sent from my Q10

It's under hood because it is driven off the camshaft. This is just a customer annoyance thing, my co-driver's girlfriend has a JCW Mini with direct injection and it makes a crap ton more racket, but it's not as high pitched, which seems to irk discerning customers.

Also an exhaust won't mask it because of the pitch. I had a nameless track pipe on for a short period of time and it didn't matter at an idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005-06: #192 ES 91 MR2 N/A Hardtop
2007-08: #54 STX 05 WRX Sedan
2009-12: #92 BSP/ASP 07 Solstice GXP
2013-14 : #192 CS 13 Subaru BRZ
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #2243
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
Glad you posted this! I have been trying to keep in in mine but could never find an official post.
From their FaceBook Event Page:

Quote:
It's that time of year again when every car enthusiast dusts off their ride and hits the streets of Metro Detroit for the summer. Let's kick it off with Xceedspeed on Sunday May 18th at the Lake Erie Metropark wave pool parking lot.

We will be providing a large grill, burgers, hot dogs, and buns, but need everyone who shows up to bring a side dish or something to pass. A link will be provided that allows people to sign up to bring items.

Donations will be accepted prior to and during the event to pay for food stuffs and fund the Fall BBQ.

Please bring a pop-up tent or other device for shade as we will not be renting a Pavillion this year.

Don't miss one of the largest gatherings of MI car enthusiasts and enjoy the beautiful views this park has to offer!

Sunday, May 18at 9:30am - 5:30pm

Lake Erie Metro Park Wave Pool
Rockwood, Michigan
Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #2244
skylin3gtr013

Drives: '13 FR-S & '96 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayysonie View Post
Anyone got the crickets here?

Have you had it fixed at the dealer? How many times? How long did it take?
How long did the "fix" last?

It is so embarrassing driving up next to someone in a light when your car starts making this noise.

I've got the crickets too. Drove a coworker to lunch last week and he thought I had something wrong with my belts. I've thought about getting a new HPFP when I take the car in for the dealer oil change pretty soon, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the trouble since the "fix" doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.

Also, spotted a white BRZ at Powerhouse Gym in Novi yesterday; parked right across from me.
skylin3gtr013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #2245
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylin3gtr013 View Post
I've got the crickets too. Drove a coworker to lunch last week and he thought I had something wrong with my belts. I've thought about getting a new HPFP when I take the car in for the dealer oil change pretty soon, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the trouble since the "fix" doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.
Yeah I am kinda in the same dilemma too. its covered by the warranty but I dont really want to wait. I am not even sure how long it will take.

Does deleting the sound tube lessen the noise getting to the cabin?

Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #2246
JDogg

Drives: 2013 Black Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayysonie View Post
Does deleting the sound tube lessen the noise getting to the cabin?

Just intake noise, not cricket noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #2247
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Random thought sharing post:

I've been thinking of getting some new wheels and tires soon and have been reading/researching about these a lot recently. I know I want the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I know I want the OZ Ultraleggeras in Gold. But it's the size of the wheel and the tire that has kept me from buying the tire/wheel set.

The 18s look amazing on the car but I really don't a see any advantages/pros apart from that. They might give me a better fuel economy, which helps me since this is my DD. But have I really bought this car to give me a better mpg and help me save around 1 MPG? I don't think so. I'm not an experienced race driver, but I have started going for track days and intend to do so till I can no longer digest the smell of burning rubber (never).

The 17s on the other hand would be lighter, hence quicker acceleration, better handling and the speedometer would still give me about values. BUT, the 18s look so much better! The other thing is, looking at most of these journals on the forum most of them have 18s on them. I don't know if they race/track/AutoX them, but they all have fancy suspension setup, crank pulleys, catless exhausts, engine tunes and what not so I'm assuming they do race them! Do they see some other advantage of having an 18 that I haven't noticed?

I know the answer to this post is somewhat clear (Do what I want to do and you can see how the pros of 17s outweigh the 18s), but I wanted to know what you guys think about it.

Also, reading about ARK performance GRiP exhausts, it seems it's a 50-50 balance on this forum. Some people love it but others question the quality of the product. I like the sound of it (Only heard it on videos), but wanted to know if anyone here has had a first hand experience with it.

Thanks!
ZeHeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #2248
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylin3gtr013 View Post

Also, spotted a white BRZ at Powerhouse Gym in Novi yesterday; parked right across from me.
The brand new pump lasted a whole 300 miles for me. The crickets are softer and more muted now though.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #2249
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
I dont see any pros to going to 18s except looks. Pros dont outweigh the cons in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #2250
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
The 17s on the other hand would be lighter, hence quicker acceleration, better handling and the speedometer would still give me about values. BUT, the 18s look so much better! The other thing is, looking at most of these journals on the forum most of them have 18s on them. I don't know if they race/track/AutoX them, but they all have fancy suspension setup, crank pulleys, catless exhausts, engine tunes and what not so I'm assuming they do race them! Do they see some other advantage of having an 18 that I haven't noticed?
Not sure what journals you speak of, but at this point about 99% of auto crossers, and most road racers are all on 17's. Take a look at the Tracking / Autocross / HPDE forum for some of the more purpose based build journals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sccabrz192 For This Useful Post:
ZeHeadBanger (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #2251
R L Newb

Drives: LR BRZ Ltd, 06 STi
Road and Track on contact patch

Going to 18s does affect contact patch so there's a plus on that. I can't remember what magazine I was reading this in originally but they had much better diagrams... maybe it'll turn up.
R L Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #2252
Skidrcn

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
I know this is not the spot to sell anything but I would like to help out the local people first.

Is anyone interested in a Brand new in box Kartboy light weight pulley? I work at OAKOS Automotive (Bryce) and it was a something I bought and just never got around to using it. New they are $110.00 but I will take $90.00 OBO

Bryce
Skidrcn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skidrcn For This Useful Post:
OAKOS Automotive (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #2253
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R L Newb View Post
Road and Track on contact patch

Going to 18s does affect contact patch so there's a plus on that. I can't remember what magazine I was reading this in originally but they had much better diagrams... maybe it'll turn up.
You are interpreting it wrong, TIRE circumference, not WHEEL circumference coupled with tire pressure and corner weight makes the difference in contact patch.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #2254
R L Newb

Drives: LR BRZ Ltd, 06 STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
You are interpreting it wrong, TIRE circumference, not WHEEL circumference coupled with tire pressure and corner weight makes the difference in contact patch.
I probably should have re-read instead of going off my fuzzy memory of some magazine article on contact patches. you're right, it was based on overall diameter not rim diameter.
There are some interesting notes on contact patch when you're comparing stock tire width vs. race tire width and pressure/sidewall differences. http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html
R L Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R L Newb For This Useful Post:
kberkel (05-14-2014)