follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #29
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I drive a Cobb tuned 2011 WRX hatch and an FR-S. Best of both worlds.

Both are very fun but polar opposites. The WRX feels cushy by comparison.

Sometimes I wish the FR-S had the WRX power.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had an '06 STi, and while the power was a lot of fun I really love driving the FR-S much more. Gas milage is way better for me too. People still always seem to want to race though...
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #31
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I went from this (2005 WRX):

To this for about 11 months (2013 FR-S):

To this, which I've had for about 10 or 11 months now (2013 STi):

Probably the greatest conclusion I can draw is this:

The WRX and STi are essentially tuned versions of Subaru's economy platform. It's evolved over the years, but it is still just a souped up Impreza. Indeed that is part of the WRX's and STi's charm. An economy car with over 300HP, AWD, 4pot brembos, tight suspension, front, rear, and central diffs... it's almost a car that shouldn't even exist. In a lot of ways the STi is an absurdity, but here it is. A platform that's proved incredibly popular for over 15 years at this point.

The 86 was designed from the ground up to be a sports car, and you will notice this all over the place. Simple things like the seating position is a huge nod to this design. It's a cheap sports car, and I have my issues with some build quality concerns (minor gripes colored by my own experiences), but it's designed as a sports car from the ground up. Going from a WRX/STi, you may or may not notice those design subtleties, but once you go back you do notice their absence.

Thankfully, 15lbs of factory boost and a 3rd gear scream onto the 202 through a wide and lengthy onramp help make up for those absences

I love my STi, I preferred driving my FR-S. If just barely.

Both are fantastic.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
Jond63 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #32
kdmBRZ

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hello,

i came from 13' STi limited sedan to my BRZ now and I love it! I've only had my STi for a year before I switched to BRZ due to fuel economy...STi is worse than WRX...surprisingly i was constantly getting 23~24mpg avg...one time i got it up to 33.6 mpg lol but tat's tat. definitely power is not there and but BRZ feels fast and doesn't feel all THAT slow. I like it's nimbleness, balance and handling. Sure i miss the turbo rush and torque, but if I can get way better mpg and superb handling then I'll take that over power feel any day. Plus, this car is super cheap to mod compared to my STi lol. Get the car. Just chiming in OP.
kdmBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #33
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I drove my buddies 2012 WRX 5-door while he was on a cruise for a week (he tossed me the keys). Coming from an anemic 160hp tC to this turbocharged AWD monster, I barely managed 150 miles on a full tank of gas (~$60). An absolute blast to drive, but damn it's a piggy.
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #34
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
There are definitely times when having my WRX hatch again would be useful. I need to get a new rolling garbage bin from Lowe's. It's only about five miles away, but there's no way I can fit it in my car. I'm going to have to rent one of their trucks to drive a garbage can for five miles.

If I had my choice, I'd have my twin and a Tacoma. Best of both worlds.
Lean the passenger seat all the way back and shove the garbage can in. As long as it's like 64 gallons or less, I think it will fit.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #35
yohan04

Drives: Your sister
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have both BRZ and 450whp STI.

Everytime I drive the sti, it has a dead battery.

That should say something.
yohan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #36
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan04 View Post
I have both BRZ and 450whp STI.

Everytime I drive the sti, it has a dead battery.

That should say something.
You need a better battery?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (05-02-2014), Jar (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #37
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went from this:

To this:

WRX had 394whp. The speed was a lot of fun on wide open straights. Yes it could take corners but it was so incommunicative that you never knew when you were at the limit and would lose it. Not a car I'd ever want to track.

Even with the power difference I very much prefer 86 on my commute. Now, it would be fun to have more power in the 86 one day
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #38
yohan04

Drives: Your sister
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
You need a better battery?
lol, that too.

I find myself driving the brz more and neglecting the sti
yohan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #39
Havsie

Drives: 13 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
The 86 was designed from the ground up to be a sports car, and you will notice this all over the place. Simple things like the seating position is a huge nod to this design. It's a cheap sports car, and I have my issues with some build quality concerns (minor gripes colored by my own experiences), but it's designed as a sports car from the ground up. Going from a WRX/STi, you may or may not notice those design subtleties, but once you go back you do notice their absence
If you drive a 2012+ Impreza and then a FR-S/BRZ back to back you'll notice that they are very similar inside...even down to the extra little window in the front. Of course there are some differences, mainly seats and a few specific interior bits, but the overall feel is similar. The same goes for the new WRX/STi compared to the 2012+ Impreza/Forester/Crosstrek, they feel very similar inside. After all, they are all loosely based on the same platform and Subaru loves to slap the same parts into every single car they make.
Havsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #40
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havsie View Post
If you drive a 2012+ Impreza and then a FR-S/BRZ back to back you'll notice that they are very similar inside...even down to the extra little window in the front. Of course there are some differences, mainly seats and a few specific interior bits, but the overall feel is similar. The same goes for the new WRX/STi compared to the 2012+ Impreza/Forester/Crosstrek, they feel very similar inside. After all, they are all loosely based on the same platform and Subaru loves to slap the same parts into every single car they make.
Parts bin engineering is actually a good thing. I see few downsides for the consumer and the automaker when you can achieve excellent results from a part that's already developed and proven. Having common models share these parts with a lower volume model like our cars makes keeping these cars far far easier post warranty.

I've owned a car that didn't share too many parts and the only models it shared parts with...were rarer. I loved the car but it sucked every single time a 25+ year old part quit. Parts were uncommon making it not only expensive but the wait times grounded the car on average 2 weeks each time. Had my old car benefited from parts bin engineering with common stuff like Corollas and Camrys, I'd probably would've kept it as a weekend vehicle as I'd keep more money and the car would've been driven a lot more.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #41
Havsie

Drives: 13 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
Parts bin engineering is actually a good thing. I see few downsides for the consumer and the automaker when you can achieve excellent results from a part that's already developed and proven. Having common models share these parts with a lower volume model like our cars makes keeping these cars far far easier post warranty.

I've owned a car that didn't share too many parts and the only models it shared parts with...were rarer. I loved the car but it sucked every single time a 25+ year old part quit. Parts were uncommon making it not only expensive but the wait times grounded the car on average 2 weeks each time. Had my old car benefited from parts bin engineering with common stuff like Corollas and Camrys, I'd probably would've kept it as a weekend vehicle as I'd keep more money and the car would've been driven a lot more.
Of course it's a good thing, it simplifies things and it makes parts cheap and common. I think there must be over 100 different Toyotas with that infamous digital clock in them at this point. I'm just stating my observations.

However, I still think it's a bit weird to drive several completely different cars that feel nearly identical inside...
Havsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #42
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

just do what I did. I liked the GC8 body style so I bought one to compliment my WRX. Just waiting on my BRZ now to compliment them both. Working on my 5th Subaru.
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote