follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #4915
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
Thanks! If we're able to activate it at 2K RPM that'd be amazing Seems like its still a slight restriction down there.
Ya there is a fine line because you don't want it to get stuck on lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #4916
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
+1

If the ESC, batteries, and controller can survive 20-30 minutes of frequent WOT on a road course without overheating the controller or running out of voltage before the end of a session, I'd be willing to try it.
Rob is only comfortable with this on the street for now, but depending on the track and some mods it just could get there.

Now that I feel comfortable with stability of my IAM, going after cooling mods for the controller is definitely the next area to look into (for me). I want to be careful though because the heat fail-safe might also be working as a passive fail-safe for other functions/limits within the ESC as you alluded.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #4917
Stormalong

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Just a note for other Canadians that might be ordering batteries. I didn't want to order from Atbatt because I hate bringing things across the border (its frequently a hassle). So I hunted around a bit and found these guys:

http://saskbattery.com/ecommerce_010.htm

I decided to order them well in advance just in case something went wrong (no stock, delays in shipping, etc), but I'm happy to say it went well. I placed the order at 11am on Friday (paid via paypal), got a shipping notification within 3 hours (!), and received them yesterday.

I ordered the 1.5 dump pack configuration (5 batteries altogether), total came to $257.64 CAD shipped (they have free shipping on orders over $60). Atbatt would have been about $330 after conversion, shipping and taxes.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stormalong For This Useful Post:
drewbot (04-30-2014), fenton (04-30-2014), topazsparrow (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #4918
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Holy crap. I'm busy for one day and the board explodes!
@Boxer486

No offense was meant but I meant MOST not all wouldn't feel the weight difference. I'm curious if I would and would love to test this.

I really need to get my cooling mod installed. Unfortunately @nlowell and myself have not met up to trade the parts we need. I'm really hoping this fixes or significantly reduces the chances of overheating.

On my tune I had not had any issues with IAM except in 6th gear below 3000 rpm.

I need to try the torco now.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
Boxer486 (04-30-2014), DAEMANO (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #4919
fenton

Hot weather update!

By hot weather I mean 21 Celsius lol. The hot weather really opens up the bottom and top end power in comparison to the colder weather we have been having 0 to 10 C.

3rd and 4th gear feel very strong and first gear is explosive. I have to really be careful getting on it in first because it wants to let go all the time.

I'm also wondering if shivs tune works better at hotter temperatures because when it is cold there are certain compensations that occur due to the different air density.

Happy man I am Now if nameless would get me that track pipe I ordered 3 weeks ago and a OFH eventually arrives with my name on it I can't think of anything better.

Looking forward to shedding some pounds as well, anyone know what the backseat weighs and is it easy to remove?

Already pulled the spare and jack out of the trunk

Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #4920
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Hot weather update!

By hot weather I mean 21 Celsius lol. The hot weather really opens up the bottom and top end power in comparison to the colder weather we have been having 0 to 10 C.

3rd and 4th gear feel very strong and first gear is explosive. I have to really be careful getting on it in first because it wants to let go all the time.

I'm also wondering if shivs tune works better at hotter temperatures because when it is cold there are certain compensations that occur due to the different air density.

Happy man I am Now if nameless would get me that track pipe I ordered 3 weeks ago and a OFH eventually arrives with my name on it I can't think of anything better.

Looking forward to shedding some pounds as well, anyone know what the backseat weighs and is it easy to remove?

Btw- the ft86 can baby. I know that's in the horizon for you.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #4921
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Btw- the ft86 can baby. I know that's in the horizon for you.
Oh ya no baby yet. Friday is the due date.

I know the ft86 can baby its my wife that won't put up with it. Bought a new SUV in December to combat that and keep the car

Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #4922
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Oh ya no baby yet. Friday is the due date.

I know the ft86 can baby its my wife that won't put up with it. Bought a new SUV in December to combat that and keep the car

Haha. Sweet. But you haven't lived until your two kids in the back are telling you to floor it!

Installed Mods:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
qitorr (05-02-2014), robwbright (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #4923
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Are the connections in the engine bay waterproof? I'm thinking the big red connector isn't.

I'm getting my engine bay detailed tomorrow and want me make sure I let them know of anything that might need to be covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #4924
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
Are the connections in the engine bay waterproof? I'm thinking the big red connector isn't.

I'm getting my engine bay detailed tomorrow and want me make sure I let them know of anything that might need to be covered.

I know the controller is water resistant, not water proof.

@Robftss will have to comment on the connector for the dump.

I wouldnt spray water direct into the engine anways i dont think?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #4925
Marco_86

Drives: 14' Frs Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So will this electric supercharger need the same maintenance and care a normal supercharger or turbocharger would? Sorry if it's a noob question I just really don't know much about this thing.. also sorry if it has already been answered but theres just so many pages on here and I haven't had any luck on finding that answer.
Marco_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #4926
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post

From Rob himself.

No pressure washing, cover controller and motor, wiping parts clean with a rag is fine.

Controller is splash proof, but cover it just in case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (05-01-2014), Gums (05-01-2014), TM (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #4927
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco_86 View Post
So will this electric supercharger need the same maintenance and care a normal supercharger or turbocharger would? Sorry if it's a noob question I just really don't know much about this thing.. also sorry if it has already been answered but theres just so many pages on here and I haven't had any luck on finding that answer.
Great question. We will add it to the FAQ.

There is no service required on the motor or compressor. The RPM is fairly low and I know @Robftss had other reasons that it wasn't required.

Basically if it ever did get to the point of a bearing needing to be replaced it would be cheap to just buy a d mount a new DC motor.

I'll let @Robftss elaborate if required. I know he has been running knw for over 2 years on his vehicle without any changes required.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #4928
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7881

about 21lbs, here is a diy: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ar+seat+delete
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive