follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Killians87

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Metallic "Clacking" Noise

Wall of Text - Sorry

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. First I am at my wits end with trying to get this figured out. Recently I have noticed a metallic "clacking" or taping when I am in drive(automatic) sitting at a redlight. That's how it started out. This problem seemed to be extremely intermittent at first. However I started to notice it more and more. It has not gotten any louder. I really noticed it when I was at a drive though ATM the other day and it seemed to really get after it. I have had it at the Toyota dealership here in Lufkin twice for the issue. I dropped it off this morning at 8:30 am and they called me 11:14 saying again they could not replicate the issue. And assured me that the other FR-S's in the area were having no issues like my car is. So I called a larger dealership in the Lake Charles and Beaumont area asking if they had had any issues. First thing the lady said was a vacuum issue that a PAS case would have to be started by the dealership. I found it odd the lady at the other dealership knew exactly what to do as soon as it left my mouth. I really don't know what to do. I have showed the dealership that my car is at currently a video of the sound the first time I came in with it. Now that I show them the video they say the have to have it replicated to do something about it. Please note that I have had 4 fuel pumps put on this car since I have owned it due to excessive chirping(in order to get them to do that I had to bitch and bitch about problem which they considered a "normalcy". Now that that issue (fuel pump chirping) is fixed they seem like they want nothing to do with my car. Other dealerships will not touch it due to it being an issue that I have already brought it to another dealership for. What are my options?
Killians87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hard to tell without a video, the way you describe it sounds like how I would describe my cars idle, something like this minus the crickets:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmooGfYQxms"]Scion frs idle noise - YouTube[/ame]

Post up the video you have.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Killians87

No bud unfortunately the only way I can describe it is a marble on the side of something thick and metallic. It isn't a fast tick more steady and spaced out when it happens. I have to get it up loaded this evening to YouTube as my work interwebs is ungodly slow :P
Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Hard to tell without a video, the way you describe it sounds like how I would describe my cars idle, something like this minus the crickets:

That doesn't sound bad. Sounds like a Subaru. They tend to run a bit noisy.

Is your car stock, Killians? Maybe the cat and heat shields around the header are the noise?
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Killians87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
That doesn't sound bad. Sounds like a Subaru. They tend to run a bit noisy.

Is your car stock, Killians? Maybe the cat and heat shields around the header are the noise?
The only mods that I have is a K&N Panel Filter(I made sure to not over oil it) and a MagnaFlow Cat back exhaust. I had the gentlemen check all the connections on the exhaust to make sure nothing there was loose a few weeks ago. I had the privilege this weekend with speaking with a tech from another dealership. The tech filled me in on some slightly shady crap. In order to keep from filling out to many warranty claims the dealership reserves the right to fill out a TAS bulletin at their choosing and not when the customer "thinks" they hear something. The metallic clicking that I am hearing is coming from the lifters(which when they replace one side he informed me that 90% of the ones that were replace the other side shortly follows) or the Vac Pump on the back side of the engine. There was no beating around the bush with this guy, he told me exactly what was going on and what I needed to fix it. However they cannot touch the car due to me already having it at another dealership for the same reason. I am at a loss on what to do with this problem.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killians87 View Post
The only mods that I have is a K&N Panel Filter(I made sure to not over oil it) and a MagnaFlow Cat back exhaust. I had the gentlemen check all the connections on the exhaust to make sure nothing there was loose a few weeks ago. I had the privilege this weekend with speaking with a tech from another dealership. The tech filled me in on some slightly shady crap. In order to keep from filling out to many warranty claims the dealership reserves the right to fill out a TAS bulletin at their choosing and not when the customer "thinks" they hear something. The metallic clicking that I am hearing is coming from the lifters(which when they replace one side he informed me that 90% of the ones that were replace the other side shortly follows) or the Vac Pump on the back side of the engine. There was no beating around the bush with this guy, he told me exactly what was going on and what I needed to fix it. However they cannot touch the car due to me already having it at another dealership for the same reason. I am at a loss on what to do with this problem.
Call customer care explain the situation, or drive it till it breaks and someone has to fix it.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

i have the same noise, but not as loud right now... have u figured out what it is?

i also have a weird squeak noise noise like something is loose while driving... its coming from the front end...
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
i have the same noise, but not as loud right now... have u figured out what it is?

i also have a weird squeak noise noise like something is loose while driving... its coming from the front end...

To your first question that video to me represents normal operation of the vehicle. I repeat: this is what the car is 'supposed' to sound like.

As for the squeak: is the Air Conditioning or Defroster on? Either will use the A/C pump which when it kicks on gives a squeak. If you're noticing it try turning off the A/C or defrost for awhile, and when you turn it back on listen for the squeak, I know I can hear it the moment I press the A/C button.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #9
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
U do know that the clanking noise u have there is normal and all frs brz have it due to being direct injection, second ur crickets are pretty bad what kinda fuel do u use
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I get the crickets at idle once the car is fully warmed up no matter where I fill up. I've tried BP, Sunoco, Kroger, Shell, and Speedway. Pretty much the same every time. I'm happy letting everyone else be a guinea pig until Toyobaru come up with a real fix.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote