follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
Goya

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIAGDDS View Post
Are you just trying to get your post count up?

Yes. Can you make your next DIY write up about disabling the speedometer. I hate being able to see how fast I'm going.
Goya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goya For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (05-17-2020)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
CIAGDDS

Drives: BRZ-L
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goya View Post
Yes. Can you make your next DIY write up about disabling the speedometer. I hate being able to see how fast I'm going.
Grow Up. If you don't find this DIY helpful then move on. It's not only meant for hiding the compass, but a general tutorial on how to get it open without damaging it. This could be useful if people are trying to get it open for power for an aftermarket radar detector or anything else they might want to do. I apologize for trying to be helpful.

***Any further contact just PM me so this thread can remain helpful and not filled with useless banter. Thank You for your cooperation in this matter***
CIAGDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CIAGDDS For This Useful Post:
Goya (04-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
inio

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This is an awesome teardown guide, but does anyone have more detailed shots of the board? I wanted to do this but take it a step further: add a little micro controller that "presses" the compass button a second after power-up. I figure there must be convenient places to tack to +V (5 or 3.3 I'm guessing), gnd, and the button's sense line, which I'm guessing has a pull-up.
inio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #18
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I too was annoyed by the reflection of the compass letters in the dome light. I followed the instructions here for my 2018 BRZ and it worked perfectly.
Some variations (perhaps the mirror is slightly different in my later year?) - the mirror connector is not accessible until you open the mirror housing, so I worked to open the housing while the mirror is in the car and still connected to the glass (i.e. didn't remove the Torx screw). I used 3 layers of black construction paper - just cut out small rectangles that fit into the mirror side rubber shroud around the compass display (you'll easily see it once the mirror is open).
The biggest challenge is getting the housing started - once you pop the first clip, the rest are much easier. I did use some mild prying/twisting force on the plastic picks, and don't forget the clips around the buttons (the housing will almost open, but you have to unclip those clips properly as well).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, disable, rear view, rearview