follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #71
355rockit

Drives: Sci FR-S, Fer F355, Toy Highlander
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Why? Brake pads are cheap compared to clutch/transmission.

+1... don't down-shift into first coming to a stop... slow down in second until you are slow enough and then neutral and brake. Keep foot off clutch and on brake at full stop. I'd rather wear the brakes than the clutch or put wear on the synchros.
355rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #72
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
General rule of thumb is to let the brakes do what they're designed to do. I downshift primarily in anticipation of what part of the power band I want to be in. If there's a red light ahead that I think I may need to stop for, I lay off the throttle first to see if that'd slow me down enough to time the green. If I think there's a chance at hitting a green by downshifting 1 gear I may do that. The moment I know brakes are necessary, I don't downshift further and just leave it in that gear until it is time to use the brakes, brake to a stop while transitioning into neutral, then get back into first as appropriate. Little point in downshifting through all the gears from 6/5th if you know you need to stop.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #73
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
LOL @ the people saying engine braking is bad for your engine/transmission.

Please show some well documented proof because I have never seen it. Every big truck in existence uses engine braking when they can.

Engine braking helps you slow down, fuel is cut off so the engine is not making power. The load on your transmission is far far greater under heavy acceleration than it would ever be engine braking.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
billwot (04-19-2014), extrashaky (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #74
Floggin Tires

Drives: ZC6, Junk of ALL sorts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Thanks for clearing that up,
Old 04-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #75
dirtymax
Gold Member

Drives: 14' SWP BRZ MT limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
LOL @ the people saying engine braking is bad for your engine/transmission.

Please show some well documented proof because I have never seen it. Every big truck in existence uses engine braking when they can.

Engine braking helps you slow down, fuel is cut off so the engine is not making power. The load on your transmission is far far greater under heavy acceleration than it would ever be engine braking.
I dont think anyone is saying its "bad", just a little more wear and unnecessary work in a light car when coming to a stop.
dirtymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #76
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpbrz View Post
If you are getting anywhere close to the stopping power of your brakes by rowing down the gears to come to a stop your putting extra stress on the transmission. that through the laws of physics will cause more wear. That's just the way it is. There is no free pass in the real world. If theres a red light half a mile away go ahead and ease of the gas and let the engine do its thing. I wouldn't go out of my way to slam into a low gear and get some stopping power from engine in normal circumstances
Yeah, so it will probably only last 500,000 miles, instead of 700,000.

I learned to downshift/engine brake when I started driving almost 60 years ago, and have done it ever since.

And I have abused trannys and clutches in ways you probably can't even imagine.

Never broke one yet.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #77
Argento

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Argento
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Ever since I had my corolla in October 2012, I took a great deal of pride in self to learn how to rev-match. Simply because as an enthusiast it's something I felt I needed to "know how". Once I practiced enough on it, I made it a habit. I literally would be on autopilot at some point months down the road if I'm talking to someone in the car riding along or communicating via hands free Bluetooth.

I personally enjoy the sound and feel of heel-toe/rev match downshifting. Plus, as others have said, if done correctly it would cause minimal wear over 'normal usage' even for everyday driving.

When I got the FRS back in December, it took quite some time for me to adjust to the clutch feel but the concept is still applied on a regular basis. I totally understand both sides of the scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'13 - FRS 6MT -HID 6K, LED DRL, Injen intake, Tanabe Overpipe, DC Sports Front Pipe, TRD Catback, Eibach Sportline 1.4" Springs, Helix Tribar Tails, VIS Racing CF Duckbill Trunk, TWM Short Throw, Rota MXR-F 18x9.5 +38 245/40/18 Kumho Ecsta 4x **New wheel set up in the works**
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #78
mattbenich

Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am breakin in my engine and clutch but I always engine break and downshift with rev matching....min brake use when slowing and I never have a problem. I have a muffler delete so accelerating, rev matching and engine braking just sound awesome. I highly suggest engine breaking. Save brakes and keeps the components well used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattbenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #79
racecat

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
I just let the engine slow itself down while in gear. I don't downshift, just let it spool itself down and go into neutral when it's ~ 800 rpm. I don't really get the point of downshifting when stopping? I must be missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
You can be in the proper gear for your speed in case you need to get the heck out to avoid a bad situation.
Also, downshifting can make it easier to stop in slick conditions, since applying the brakes is not always a good idea...
racecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:38 AM   #80
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Yeah, so it will probably only last 500,000 miles, instead of 700,000.

I learned to downshift/engine brake when I started driving almost 60 years ago, and have done it ever since.

And I have abused trannys and clutches in ways you probably can't even imagine.

Never broke one yet.
Yep, same here......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #81
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecat View Post
Also, downshifting can make it easier to stop in slick conditions, since applying the brakes is not always a good idea...
hmmmm......my experience has been the opposite .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
stugray (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #82
racecat

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmmm......my experience has been the opposite .....

humfrz
I think it's fairly dependent on road conditions, tires, etc. I have slipped some when I downshifted my FR-S on ice, but in my truck with all-season tires, it's much better.

Not to preach to our Wise Master Humfrz, but the key is to be aware of your surroundings and not wait until the last minute to stop. Gentle downshifting is more controllable than dumping a gear anyway. Sometimes it's unavoidable but in those cases downshifting is usually not going to slow you fast enough on its own.

A radio host here years ago was famous for saying, "The brakes are not your friend!" every chance he got. My dad wouldn't let my mom forget after she spun out trying to avoid a squirrel.
racecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #83
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
I downshift/rev match almost all the time I stop, helps saves on brakes
Brake pads are less costly to replace than transmission/clutch.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #84
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Brake pads are less costly to replace than transmission/clutch.
True, but letting the drivetrain spin from such little resistance as engine braking is virtually nil compared to the pressure and heat generated from daily use under acceleration, let alone a track day...

All these claims on wear rates I believe are marginal at best unless they're used to extremes, such as constantly engine braking every stop at high rpm or from extended distances where you never touch the brakes, or synchro wear from constantly shifting hard at high rpm.

Just drive the car how you want, whatever makes you feel better. We all have our recommendations and reasons. Just don't prevent yourself from enjoying the car for reasons of paranoia that you'll grenade the transmission from engine braking or OMG my synchros and clutch! from rev matching.

Learn to drive smooth and it'll treat you well with countless smiles.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
racecat (04-21-2014)