follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,399 Times in 5,262 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin77 View Post
Here are the choices we have for fluids if you want to switch from OEM - Redline D6 ATF, Eneos ECO-ATF, Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF, & Amsoil OE Fuel Efficient ATF. All of these fluids are equivalents for Toyota WS ATF. I switched to Redline D6. Shifting is now much smoother.
Did you have any new noises under cold start? I just had mine swapped to Redline on Friday, and yesterday I got a buzz/low grinding sound in reverse that increased with revs. Once the car was warmed up it didn't duplicate. I haven't been outside today to check on it yet.

I'm at 45k and this was my first ATF change.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Did you DIY or get a shop to do it? I believe that @DeOppressorLiber
Had an issue that was due to not enough fluid put in the trans.
So one thing to check is fluid level.
I am not really sure on fluids at this time. The only aftermarket fluid that has had no issues (that I am aware of) is Motul gear 300V 75W90 that SSP recommends and uses in their builds. When I talked to them,on the phone, that is what they recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWhite View Post
I am not really sure on fluids at this time. The only aftermarket fluid that has had no issues (that I am aware of) is Motul gear 300V 75W90 that SSP recommends and uses in their builds. When I talked to them,on the phone, that is what they recommended.

@PrimeMotoring recommended Motul Gear 300 for differential and Motul Multi ATF for transmission, for my AT FR-S. My engine, differential, transmission and brake fluids are all Motul now, changed at 10k miles, as part of a big build (not engine).
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
FastWhite

Garage
So no issues with Motul then.
Interesting. I can find where Amsoil had the same issue, BG trany same. Then when switched all goes away. Now similar results with Redline.
Now I make no judgment on any of this. All good oils. Just interesting is all.
Need @sspkris to comment.
They are all good so why get these results.
Open for comments people.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:

It was a shop. However I just went back to look at the invoice and they used Redline D4 and not D6. I've put about 500 miles on the car since. Have to wait until they open tomorrow to have it resolved.

I will report back after that.

Edit: also I didnt think you can check atf level on this car without temp tracking and putting it into some certain mode?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 04-06-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
FastWhite

Garage
Bummer. Ya needs doing fast. Our trany requires a thin viscosity oil. D4 is not it. Stock is ATF WS per the manual. I have been asking these question as there is some dis information or just wrong info.
Just trying to get things straightened out.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #21
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Bummer. Ya needs doing fast. Our trany requires a thin viscosity oil. D4 is not it. Stock is ATF WS per the manual. I have been asking these question as there is some dis information or just wrong info.
Just trying to get things straightened out.

Yeah I hate taking my car anywhere for work but reading how to do ATF I figured I would give this place a shot based on a recommendation. If I ever do get this done somewhere else, I will definitely be supplying my own fluid next time. I mean Redline even had D6 as the correct fluid on their website so I don't think he even looked it up.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #22
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not yet. I autocross the car and any cooler bumps me up to the next class.
Until the SEB changes the rule set I would actually go to Street Prepared. Miata territory. If they change it then it would be in Street Touring.
I found a place to do my AT flush. And yes $$$$$.
Need about 4 gallons of Redline D6 ATF @ ~$20/qt = 16 x 20 = $320 plus the labour.
But I have convinced myself that I "NEED IT"!!!! But as I do auotx it, better safe the sorry.
Does anyone have any feedback on BG ATF fully synthetic fluid?

Ugh. I had to do some searching, and it looks like they very well might change that rule (as it has no effect on performance of the vehicle only the durability), but the rule change wouldn't take effect until next year

Honestly it's up to you. Unless you're making money doing the races, the cost of toasting the transmission over not running a good cooler wouldn't add up for me.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #23
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Ugh. I had to do some searching, and it looks like they very well might change that rule (as it has no effect on performance of the vehicle only the durability), but the rule change wouldn't take effect until next year

Honestly it's up to you. Unless you're making money doing the races, the cost of toasting the transmission over not running a good cooler wouldn't add up for me.
Quote:
Not yet. I autocross the car and any cooler bumps me up to the next class.
Until the SEB changes the rule set I would actually go to Street Prepared. Miata territory. If they change it then it would be in Street Touring.
I found a place to do my AT flush. And yes $$$$$.
Need about 4 gallons of Redline D6 ATF @ ~$20/qt = 16 x 20 = $320 plus the labour.
But I have convinced myself that I "NEED IT"!!!! But as I do auotx it, better safe the sorry.
Does anyone have any feedback on BG ATF fully synthetic fluid?
If you haven't done so already, write a comment in support to the SEB referencing #12449 ST Cooler Allowance

http://crbscca.com/

Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #24
FastWhite

Garage
Already done.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #25
FastWhite

Garage
Need to make a correction. When I called SSP, they said to gear 300 V 75W90. This may be incorrect. I have an AT and this, from research, is for a MT.
At from Motuls web site.
I will clarify.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #26
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

So talked to the shop and they said the invoice was wrong (no hesiation when I asked what they used, so I believe them). They swapped out the fluid anyway so I will find out tomorrow if anything got solved

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Well, so far so good on the fresh fluid. Not sure what happened really but they fixed it without even replicating the problem but just took my word for it. Just happy its done with and from now on I take my own fluids to the shop. Lol

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Old 04-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
FastWhite

Garage
Thanks for the update. With the research that I have been doing, I am finding that various sites list ATF WS under both D4 & D6 when only D6 is good. Same with a bunch of other brands.
So for us, most definitely your suggestion, bring your own.