follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 03-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #3935
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Installed, used grimspeed header gaskets and now a leak has been presented on the right passenger flange. gunna drive around and hopefully something happens...if anything.

its about 1 inch away from the TRD intake by the way. Coated is the way to go!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #3936
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got a surface temp gauge? Be interested to know what the temp is on that pipe.

Also an exhaust leak won't fix itself. Get under there and tighten it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargy View Post
Installed, used grimspeed header gaskets and now a leak has been presented on the right passenger flange. gunna drive around and hopefully something happens...if anything.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #3937
Deathreaper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Good thing I got it coated + heat reflective tape! Do you think it could melt it even if coated?
Deathreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #3938
FrsDuke
Fanboy

An inch of air is a lot of thermal insulation particularly when it is moving air.

-Duke
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #3939
Mars2

Drives: GT86, AUDI RS2, VW T5 R32 Vortech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
how long would be the wait if order one today?
Mars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #3940
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah an inch is probably enough space to keep anything from melting. I didn't relocate my radiator fan plug when doing my P&L coated header and it has about 1/8" between the two and it hasn't done anything to the plug.

Great results after the tuning especially on pump gas. I'm interested in some of the fit issues though since the P&L went through the same pains and they ended up fixing/replacing a portion of the header to change the angle it connects to the overpipe.

Also not a fan of people having to crank down on the flanges to get them to seal, the P&L was perfectly flat and aligned on both sides.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #3941
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
An increase of 12% on the top end doesn't seem too bad from a header and tune.

How much were you expecting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
@mad_sb As per his edit this is with the 3" op/fp. So not being held back I wouldn't think. And it's still 9ftlb to the good at 7k. On this heartbreaker dyno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
But that torque boost @3000rpm is so sexy! Reminds me of the Mazda CX-5 header vs regular SkyActive configuración in the Mazda3.

Interested in seen configurations without stock pieces, but those results are nice looking.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
If you set your expectations extremely high, then you will be dissapointed. But I don't think a 35hp increase and 39lbft tq increase is "disappointing"

And trust me, the gained power is definitely useful.
Keep in mind I already have a 4-1 long tube header and full exhaust. The last thing i want to do right now is swap header and LOOSE top end power, which is what looks like may happen with this header, compaired to my current setup.

Also I believe the OP stated he has a stock midpipe along with an axle back. My comment was the stock midpipe could be holding back the power at higher rpm.

Guys, my issue is not the gains, it is where the gains are. I don't want a header that is as biased as this one seems to be below 5k. Where do you spend most of the time on a road course.. 5k plus. Autocross and daily driving is where this header will shine and I do not autocross.

What i want from a header is to fill in the torque dip (not turn it upside down) and give the biggest gains from 4k and up.

If anyone wants to buy my coated never installed header shoot me a pm with a reasonable offer. I may wait a few days before i make a final decision.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #3942
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Keep in mind I already have a 4-1 long tube header and full exhaust. The last thing i want to do right now is swap header and LOOSE top end power, which is what looks like may happen with this header, compaired to my current setup.

Also I believe the OP stated he has a stock midpipe along with an axle back. My comment was the stock midpipe could be holding back the power at higher rpm.

Guys, my issue is not the gains, it is where the gains are. I don't want a header that is as biased as this one seems to be below 5k. Where do you spend most of the time on a road course.. 5k plus. Autocross and daily driving is where this header will shine and I do not autocross.

What i want from a header is to fill in the torque dip (not turn it upside down) and give the biggest gains from 4k and up.

If anyone wants to buy my coated never installed header shoot me a pm with a reasonable offer. I may wait a few days before i make a final decision.
Ah mid not front. Perhaps then. I'm sad you won't be sharing actual cam phasing with everyone, but I understand your concerns for sure. I agree this header is biased a bit low for 1/4mile and track day ultimate numbers, but it is probably the best dd and autoX solution. Perhaps other dyno posts will show results you are happier with. I'd give it a couple weeks not days. More info will probably increase demand not diminish it, and I believe they've got quite a wait for the next round of deliveries.

-Duke
The Following User Says Thank You to FrsDuke For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #3943
Juanito08

Drives: Scion Fr-s
Quote:

+1 wish I would have gotten the coated as well

Here's a pic of how close it is
Juanito08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juanito08 For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-22-2014), mad_sb (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #3944
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The way this header turns the dip into a mountain is quite impressive. I am concerned about how much it intrudes into the engine bay and the effect of all that heat on the surrounding components (belts, etc.).

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #3945
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito08 View Post
+1 wish I would have gotten the coated as well

Here's a pic of how close it is
Please speak up regarding the coating option. It was one of my recommendations when I installed my header last month. Anyone without the coating take any temp readings?
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #3946
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post

I don't think you can do what you ask with headers. Or at least not with current approaches.

We get an expansion pulse at every cross section change. Primary to collector 1, secondary to collector, pipe to atmosphere. These expansion pulses are what drive the rpm specific gains or dips. And tubing length changes the return timing, since the waves travel at the local speed of sound. So we can change when the good wave gets there (also what you are chasing with your valve timing tuning) but we can't tell that gain to split itself and divide into two different rpm ranges. If it comes back at 4000rpm, you get all of the VE gains thereabouts.

The 4-2-1 concept is to add another expansion to the 4-1's single expansion. This is as close as you can get to 'dividing' the waves into two positions. We could get another useful expansion with a pretty short exhaust (think side pipe) but practical applications say nope.

This header we always knew would be AutoX friendly, but it is also track day and road course friendly, by how much corner exit should be improved. Top end is for drag racing.

To get what you want, it will probably take a complimentary intake manifold for your current 4-1 that fills in the midrange a bit.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (03-22-2014), raul (03-22-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #3947
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
Please speak up regarding the coating option. It was one of my recommendations when I installed my header last month. Anyone without the coating take any temp readings?
You could simply put some reflective tape like the gold stuff on the airbox if you want but that's a pretty decent margin between the two, I certainly wouldn't be worried about melting anything.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #3948
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I don't think you can do what you ask with headers. Or at least not with current approaches.

We get an expansion pulse at every cross section change. Primary to collector 1, secondary to collector, pipe to atmosphere. These expansion pulses are what drive the rpm specific gains or dips. And tubing length changes the return timing, since the waves travel at the local speed of sound. So we can change when the good wave gets there (also what you are chasing with your valve timing tuning) but we can't tell that gain to split itself and divide into two different rpm ranges. If it comes back at 4000rpm, you get all of the VE gains thereabouts.

The 4-2-1 concept is to add another expansion to the 4-1's single expansion. This is as close as you can get to 'dividing' the waves into two positions. We could get another useful expansion with a pretty short exhaust (think side pipe) but practical applications say nope.

This header we always knew would be AutoX friendly, but it is also track day and road course friendly, by how much corner exit should be improved. Top end is for drag racing.

To get what you want, it will probably take a complimentary intake manifold for your current 4-1 that fills in the midrange a bit.
my current 4-1 eliminated the dip and provided gains from 6k and up but the fitment is shit. I was hoping for similar results except with the top end gains coming a little sooner in the rpm range.

Your point is taken. Most of what I had read indicated that with a 4-2-1 design you could optimize the length and diameter of the 3 stages to get 3 harmonics to build the power across a broader rpm range than you could with a 4-1 design.

I would like to see a shoot out between the new revision JDL 4-1 and the Nameless, with an unbiased tuner.

I'm not giving up on this header yet, like i said, i think the stock midpipe was likely squeezing the gains from 5k and up. But i am also going to hold off a bit on the install since the value will drop the second the flanges touch the block

EDIT: I went back and looked at the plots nameless posted from the final revision... Those results look smoother through the 4-6 range and less peaky... way more of what i was expecting.. I know it's silly to be complaining about "extra" torques in some areas.. i am ocd about dyno plot shapes though because I know how the shape translates to the seat of the pants.

Last edited by mad_sb; 03-22-2014 at 08:45 PM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
Dimman (03-22-2014), FrsDuke (03-22-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-23-2014)

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag