follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
86main

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm just trying to get some high octane fuel to make a video. Tryna see if I can backfire some flames. Lol. Sounds stupid but the video I'm making really needs it..
86main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #16
86main

And I actually heard our car doesn't do any good after 93 octane without tune. So I'm hoping this gives me a bit more rich and backfire that out. I have a custom straight pipe done with test pipes and my exhaust always pops like a gunshot at around 3-4k rpm but no flames. Hopefully the higher octane does...
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The 92 octane from Shell, Chevron, Costco, and other major (reputable) brands here in WA are just fine in the car, N/A or turbo/hairdryer-charged. The gas at the 7/11 or other quickie marts that offer gas as well tends to be pretty dodgy.

Cenex in some areas offers 92 non-ethanol, the cars are the happiest on that.

91 is junk, usually. That's because in most cases, it's 89 with ethanol added, and from all my testing across 4-5 states, the engine responds like it's 89, ethanol be damned.

Will the car run on 91? Yes, and if it's from a reputable brand, it's generally ok. But it is also likely its going to pull a bit of power on the top end because of the 91, turbocharged or totally stock. Simply moving up to 92 almost always brings it back up to 100%.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #18
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86main View Post
And I actually heard our car doesn't do any good after 93 octane without tune. So I'm hoping this gives me a bit more rich and backfire that out. I have a custom straight pipe done with test pipes and my exhaust always pops like a gunshot at around 3-4k rpm but no flames. Hopefully the higher octane does...

The only way you will get flames out of your exhaust would be to dump unburned fuel/air mixture into your exhaust and it ignites on the way out. This is monumentally BAD for your cats and will send them to an early grave. What's worse, is the resulting explosion of the mixture in your cats can damage the honeycomb and cause blockages in your cats resulting in higher backpressure and severe loss of power.

The look that you're going after is caused most often by forced induction blowing extremely hot exhaust through a header, no cats, and a mostly straight pipe. In most movies this is done through post-production trickery.

Scott
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
86main

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
The only way you will get flames out of your exhaust would be to dump unburned fuel/air mixture into your exhaust and it ignites on the way out. This is monumentally BAD for your cats and will send them to an early grave. What's worse, is the resulting explosion of the mixture in your cats can damage the honeycomb and cause blockages in your cats resulting in higher backpressure and severe loss of power.

The look that you're going after is caused most often by forced induction blowing extremely hot exhaust through a header, no cats, and a mostly straight pipe. In most movies this is done through post-production trickery.

Scott
No cats so I'm fine hahaha and I'm just gonna see. If it doesn't work I'll have to just give up hahaha too expensive for a supercharger
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Lot of dispensaries on the Ave.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sittinSideways For This Useful Post:
kiichiro (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
86main

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
Lot of dispensaries on the Ave.
In Seattle? Or Lake Wood? Bellevue?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #22
86main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
Unleaded 101, Leaded 114 and 119?

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC

Sweet, I'll probably go for the 101. Don't know what the difference between leaded and unleaded except the leaded one has lead of course. And I'm pretty sure I'll die from lead poisoning. LOL
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #23
86main

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Out of curiosity, what mods have you done to your car to necessitate a higher octane rating than 91?

Putting race gas in a stock car pretty much just gives you more expensive exhaust fumes.

Scott
Well Im making a video for my video class, and few people recommended me I use 100+ octane to see if I can shoot some flames. But other than that, no other reason. haha.

I haven't done too much for my car, I'm waiting for cams to come out to build my internals with cams in. But so far, cold ait intake, semi straight pipe (still got headers)

I'm not gonna drop couple hundred bucks on all these little stuff, saving it for the big bois
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #24
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Won't happen, even with the exotic fuels. Flames out the rear happen under load, at high rpm, when everything is nice and hot, with no cat's in the system. In other words, while you'll see it at the race track, especially with cars that have been sitting at 5000-7000rpm for the last 30 minutes, you are very unlikely to do it just revving in a driveway.

There used to be a fad of shooting flames out the rear on cars, but they usually resorted to some exotic setups, up to purposely dumping gas into the exhaust and even using a sparkplug at the end of the muffler to provide a spark.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #25
JL_FRS

Drives: 2014 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I just filled 92 Octane at the Chevron Extra Mile on 132th Ave in South Everett. I try to only fill there. It was about $3.89 per gallon.
JL_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #26
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Well Im making a video for my video class, and few people recommended me I use 100+ octane to see if I can shoot some flames. But other than that, no other reason. haha.

I haven't done too much for my car, I'm waiting for cams to come out to build my internals with cams in. But so far, cold ait intake, semi straight pipe (still got headers)

I'm not gonna drop couple hundred bucks on all these little stuff, saving it for the big bois
Loan me your straight pipe and I will help you get flames using my car.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #27
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks brotha, do you know if they are leaded or not?
How old are you?

ETA: Because F&F.

Quote:
Quote:
Sweet, I'll probably go for the 101. Don't know what the difference between leaded and unleaded except the leaded one has lead of course. And I'm pretty sure I'll die from lead poisoning. LOL
Unleaded gets the lead out, as in your car will haul ass. Don't EVER let some clown at the gas station put leaded gas in your tank.

Last edited by Tromatic; 03-01-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #28
86main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
How old are you?

ETA: Because F&F.

Unleaded gets the lead out, as in your car will haul ass. Don't EVER let some clown at the gas station put leaded gas in your tank.

Im 19. haha I also heard, lead isn't actually too bad for your car... it apparently coats your engine with lead and according to O'Rieley, that's a good thing... true? Or bullcrap?