follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
fx35s

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What do I need to participate in "$315 for Novice w/Instructor" ?

Can I still keep my engine oil after that short session?

I've never been to track and I'm fairly new to manual transmission, too, but would it be too difficult for me?

Sorry I just threw away few questions but I'm really interested!! lol

I don't need brake pads and fluids and all that replaced after the track event right..? I don't think I can manage to go around corners crazy and stuff either
fx35s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
phloozy

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I am pretty sure I will be there this year, just talked to the wife and she is excited to learn to really driver her 370z. When does registration end?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #17
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx35s View Post

I don't need brake pads and fluids and all that replaced after the track event right..? I don't think I can manage to go around corners crazy and stuff either
I had the same questions and had just asked the same thing in the other thread in the HPDE section - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58193 have subscribed to both, so looking forward to this!
fx35s (02-17-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #18
fx35s

Will the registration be open till tomorrow you think @AZP Installs?

I'm a total noob and never been to track but I'd like to get some proper training on the track and I think this will be my golden opportunity to learn the basics of the car.

I guess since this could be somewhat dangerous being on track and all I would need the helmet rated snell 2005 or snell 2010?

So If helmet meets snell2005 or above any helmet is fine, correct?

And like you said although typical track event would require brake pad, brake fluid, engine oil, and other things replaced after or in-between track events, as this event will be more of an educational-focused and since I won't be pushing the car as I'm a novice, is it safe to assume that I can just presume my daily driving after the track event without any replacements and stuff?

I understand that there's no guarantee and if things need to be replaced or what not I'd be glad to do so but I'm just gauging what I'd need to spend and what I don't have to spend my money on

Thanks!! I look forward to this
Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Had a question on passing for this trackday, since rules for each club can be different. It states:

"Novice Solo $295 Attended first AZP Track Day or Other Track Experience (Includes Classroom, Instructors Available on Request, Trackwalk)

Advanced DE Solo $295 (Open Track with Pointby, Trackwalk, Advanced Classroom)"

Can you clarify whether passing on Novice Solo is allowed (with point by) or only Advanced DE Solo? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #20
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
Thanks for the regs! Two recaros/harness/harness bar.
You should be ok, since it isn't a racing event, but those regs should have the answer.

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #21
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper4mance View Post
Had a question on passing for this trackday, since rules for each club can be different. It states:

"Novice Solo $295 Attended first AZP Track Day or Other Track Experience (Includes Classroom, Instructors Available on Request, Trackwalk)

Advanced DE Solo $295 (Open Track with Pointby, Trackwalk, Advanced Classroom)"

Can you clarify whether passing on Novice Solo is allowed (with point by) or only Advanced DE Solo? Thanks.
Passing with a point by will be allowed in both run groups. If we see you are too advanced for the novice group we are very flexible and can bump you into the advanced group if need be!

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
hyper4mance (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #22
AZP Installs

Quote:
Will the registration be open till tomorrow you think @AZP Installs?

I'm a total noob and never been to track but I'd like to get some proper training on the track and I think this will be my golden opportunity to learn the basics of the car.

I guess since this could be somewhat dangerous being on track and all I would need the helmet rated snell 2005 or snell 2010?

So If helmet meets snell2005 or above any helmet is fine, correct?

And like you said although typical track event would require brake pad, brake fluid, engine oil, and other things replaced after or in-between track events, as this event will be more of an educational-focused and since I won't be pushing the car as I'm a novice, is it safe to assume that I can just presume my daily driving after the track event without any replacements and stuff?

I understand that there's no guarantee and if things need to be replaced or what not I'd be glad to do so but I'm just gauging what I'd need to spend and what I don't have to spend my money on

Thanks!! I look forward to this
If you are buying a helmet get the 2010, they are only good for 10 years or so, so may as well get the "newer" one. Probably can't find a 2005 anyway.

Depending on your milage, you may want to get the fluids changed ahead of the event. We can definitely give your car a check at our shop to make sure you will have enough pads etc for the event. As a novice you will not wear out your tires or pads so excessively that it will only marginally effect the overall service length of the consumables.

But yes it won't adversely effect your car as a daily driver in my opinion.

Last season I drove my 335ix with automatic at several DE events and it didn't adversely effect the brake pad wear etc.

-Mike Paisan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
amram (02-18-2014), fx35s (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #23
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloozy View Post
I am pretty sure I will be there this year, just talked to the wife and she is excited to learn to really driver her 370z. When does registration end?
Reg will be open until we fill the spots up. Novice w/Instructor will probably be limited to about 15. The rest will likely be open for a bit beyond that quantity.

-Mike Paisan

Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #24
AZP Installs

Quote:
What do I need to participate in "$315 for Novice w/Instructor" ?

I've never been to track and I'm fairly new to manual transmission, too, but would it be too difficult for me?

Sorry I just threw away few questions but I'm really interested!! lol

Depending on how many miles on your car you may want to get the brake fluid flushed before the event and I would definitely get a fresh oil change as well before the event just to be on a clean slate.

Otherwise it's drive whatever you brought, and you will learn a great deal.

-Mike Paisan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
amram (02-18-2014), fx35s (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #25
psyclone07

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Caravan anyone??? If I can find a decent crowd to drive down with I'm willing to make the 4hr drive. Sounds like a blast!
psyclone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyclone07 For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #26
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
If you are buying a helmet get the 2010, they are only good for 10 years or so, so may as well get the "newer" one. Probably can't find a 2005 anyway.
Any tips or recommendations for someone looking to buy a helmet for the first time? Any types to avoid, etc. thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #27
fx35s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post

Depending on your milage, you may want to get the fluids changed ahead of the event. We can definitely give your car a check at our shop to make sure you will have enough pads etc for the event. As a novice you will not wear out your tires or pads so excessively that it will only marginally effect the overall service length of the consumables.

But yes it won't adversely effect your car as a daily driver in my opinion.

Last season I drove my 335ix with automatic at several DE events and it didn't adversely effect the brake pad wear etc.

-Mike Paisan

Thanks for the detailed information.

I'm currently considering registering for this event but I first have to check with my company to see if I will be get able to get off on Monday.

This sounds so much fun though!!

You guys offer this event every year right?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amram View Post
Any tips or recommendations for someone looking to buy a helmet for the first time? Any types to avoid, etc. thanks!
In the US there are 2 types of approval SA (standard something or other) and M (motorcycle). SA's are all made with nomex (fire retardant), but are slightly heavier than motorcycles. They also can have a narrower field of vision compared to a motorcycle helmet. Impact testing is done the same on both, except SAs also perform an impact test on roll bars. IMO, M's offer more functionality such as a lot of vents, chin guard, etc. but I'm coming from a perspective of one helmet for both activities. If you ride as well, M's can satisfy both requirements for trackdays and riding, however once you get into the higher run groups like advanced (red group), they must be SA approved for fire protection.

If you know a buddy, try and borrow one this year or get a cheap one. The new 2015 models should be out by next year, giving you a full 10 year cycle. You really need to go to a store and try them on. Each manufacturer has a slightly different shape (round vs oval). A friend recommended Bell Star to me, but unfortunately it doesn't fit my head shape.

Here are 2 auto stores in NJ you can try, other local motorcycle shops will also carry helmets but are M only.
http://www.stableenergies.com/
http://www.teamdi.com/