follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #71
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I say: Buy a Japan-Spec 86, send some Scion Badges to your guy in Japan, Cut, Paste, Send.

Boom, profit.

Oh and make sure to send him USDM-Spec Headlights too, you wouldn't want to blind someone lol.
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #72
TOYSTRY

Drives: 2008 scion tc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hope this helps:

http://www.180sx.co.uk/resources/gui...sx-from-japan/
TOYSTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #73
Yaardy316

Drives: '09 Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
No. The fundamental differences between left and right hand drive construction, along with different Japanese safety standards means that they still MUST do the test. RHD, not on the list, must be tested. Manufacturers don't just mirror the car when building it for a different market. Many components are different, and the Federal Government deems it different enough to want to test it to make sure it complies with our standards.

You could circumvent the EPA testing if Toyota grants a letter of conformity, but they have absolutely zero interest in pleasing the 12 or so people that would actually seriously push for this. The cost/benefit ratio is staggeringly weighted to cost.

Even if you did get around said tests, the Bond is still 150% of the car's value. New car value? So you pay 38k for a GT86 Limited (if you're spending, might as well go big). Then you pay to ship the car. What is that, like 6k unless you're stationed overseas? Then you get here and you still have to pay the 150% bond to get your car through customs. That's another 57k. then you have to pay sales tax in your state of registration. Figure that's another couple grand.

If you could import, with no federal testing, a GT86 Limited today, it would cost around 100k.

Great information! Thank you for finally answering the question.

And seeing that I have to pay 150% of the cars value through customs that was it for me I didn't think it would be that pricey. Especially since individual buyers have no inclination to sell the public. I guess the man wants to force us to buy from within our borders- its all money/politically driven, which doesn't surprise me. With money spent to get the damn vehicle over here I can do a complete conversion for far far far far far far far far far less lol.

What bummer though
Yaardy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #74
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Im quite surprised by the amount of people that dont realize such a task isnt feasible. perhaps if you had half a million burning a hole in your pocket and a massive hard-on for a Toyota that is built and stamped with Subaru parts.

This thread is boarderline trolling, hahaha.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #75
TOYSTRY

Drives: 2008 scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaardy316 View Post
Great information! Thank you for finally answering the question.

And seeing that I have to pay 150% of the cars value through customs that was it for me I didn't think it would be that pricey. Especially since individual buyers have no inclination to sell the public. I guess the man wants to force us to buy from within our borders- its all money/politically driven, which doesn't surprise me. With money spent to get the damn vehicle over here I can do a complete conversion for far far far far far far far far far less lol.

What bummer though
You could also make friends with a military member overseas who can ship a vehicle back for you as part of his/her official movement. I know plenty of folks who've shipped back Japanese cars........now how much money it cost to convert everything to US standards I can't speak too!
TOYSTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #76
Yaardy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYSTRY View Post
You could also make friends with a military member overseas who can ship a vehicle back for you as part of his/her official movement. I know plenty of folks who've shipped back Japanese cars........now how much money it cost to convert everything to US standards I can't speak too!
*LSxJunkie* laid it all out pretty well for me- I'm putting the idea of importing a JDM vehicle to bed. I'm better off switching out parts and so forth- good suggestion though.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #77
Yaardy316

I think this thread is done