follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
lol dude it's been awhile since I measure… maybe I am 6'5 now idk lol but My legs do get very close to the steering wheel, my hands bump my legs sometimes when turning, getting in and out all of the time is annoying. It's not even like I'm out of shape... I work out regularly and am very much in shape and fit.

Your legs don't hit the steering wheel? What about with right foot on brake or on left clutch (if you have m/t)?
Nope, not even doing heel toe at the track. But if u work out a lot maybe ur just to swole for an FRS? Lol maybe a muscle car is right for you lmao.

I suspect ur probably just taller then u think. I do drive with my seat far enough back to where I can barely place my feet fully behind the pedals on the floor, seat angled down to the max and my wheel angled up. Maybe it's your settings?
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Shifter View Post
The new C7 Corvette is the way to go. 450 HP with the base Corvette and plenty of leg room and power. The C7 switches over from 8 to 4 cylinders if cruising down the highway, delivering over 30 mpg! Test drive one then order a base model from Chevy for $52,000. If you can, sell your FR-S for over $20,000 to a private party and borrow or spring for the rest.

Your 2014 C7 will hold it's value because it now competes with supercars in the $100,000 to $200,000 dollar range.

I owned 3 old C3 Corvette Stingrays and they all held their value over the years.

Just test drive one to believe me. You won't be disappointed with this American Car!

Cheers,
EZ
haha tell that to the c5 or c6
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Lots of tall dudes have swapped drivers seat for low bride, recarro etc... Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
stock

Drives: 2015 FRS Steel (manual)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, this is a great car.

It is a bit slow, but there are awesome aftermarket companies making plenty of FI options. Also, the balance and handling are godly, and make up a little for the lack of power.

My real issue is the size of the car. I'm 6'4, and at first when I bought the car I was all like, "Yeah, it's a little tight but I can make this work." But now, having the car as my daily driver for 10 months, it's getting annoying. Also, feeling the steering wheel hit my legs is annoying, especially when I'm turning the wheel.

It's not terrible. I can get comfortable in the car, but I guess after a while I'm beginning to think it wasn't the best choice. Combine this with the car being underpowered, and I'm starting to consider trading in the car.

I wonder if I went FI, would I be as bothered by the fact that the car is a bit too small for me? I don't know... I was thinking about trading this in for something like the Hyundai Genesis R spec.

If you guys were going to trade this car in, what would you get? Obviously nothing smaller than the FRS. Any suggestions?

Highly recommend an MG Midget.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Midget-Ma...US_Cars_Trucks

Loads of legroom (really) and with the top down, unlimited headroom.
stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The genesis r spec would prob be more practical and a good car, but not as special. I think you would still be able to tell that "I'm driving a hyundai."

You should get the new mustang with the independent rear suspension?
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #20
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm a pretty big guy at 6'4 and 240 pounds. I got long legs, so thats where most of my height is. I have an issue with the leg room, not so much with the head room.

Even if the wheel all the way up, I still feel my legs getting in the way especially when my left leg is letting up on the clutch, or when the right leg is on the brake. It is annoying when I'm trying to turn the wheel.

For such a small car, it really does fit me surprisingly well which is why I thought I would be okay when I first bought it. Unfortunately it's starting to get on my nerves now.

After driving this car, handling is more important than it was before I bought the car because I see how great handling can make driving so much fun! However I really feel from beginning to end this car is underpowered. I am coming from a freakin '97 camry (anything is fast compared to that), and even I said from day one this FRS was underpowered.

I need something that is fast, and preferably turbo'd so I can chip the car and make it faster. Speed is a big thing for me. I'm not gonna lie, I want something as fast as possible for as cheap as possible. I also prefer RWD. I wouldn't particularly mind AWD though.

I've always been ehh about American cars.

I'm so sad even thinking about giving this car up. I wish I was more comfortable in it!

Would changing the seat or modifying the seat rails help you?
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
nodeal (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #21
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Maybe try putting your rails farther back with a new seat. That's been done with a karmann ghia my family used to own for us tall folks
the new guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the new guy For This Useful Post:
nodeal (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #22
nodeal

Drives: Scion FRS
Wow guys I never considered modding my seat, but I think that's a great idea and would make for a very fun project. I love the FRS, and going FI on it would make it my dream car. I'd hate to trade it in.

Can someone point me to a good DIY for changing the rails/seats/whatever needs to be done to make my car more height friendly? Thanks a bunch!
nodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #23
worfworf

Drives: Honda Odyssey, Evo X
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave77 View Post
The genesis r spec would prob be more practical and a good car, but not as special. I think you would still be able to tell that "I'm driving a hyundai."

You should get the new mustang with the independent rear suspension?
Yes, same as "I am driving a scion".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
worfworf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #24
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by worfworf View Post
Yes, same as "I am driving a scion".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
LOL yes, but at least we can also say "I am driving a toyota." And also "I am driving a japanese car". Rather than "I am driving a korean car." No offense to the koreans, but I don't think they've quite figured out how to make a quality car yet like the best of them.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave77 For This Useful Post:
dnieves (01-14-2014), rcm47 (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #25
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
You should test drive a Genesis before you make your decision (You obviously will). I find the car to be a boring drive; it's way too big for its own sake. But maybe that's what you want for your head/leg room.

Also, this thread is full of giants lol. I'm 5'10.

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
The new upcoming 2015 WRX might be for you. Plenty of power and there will be tons of aftermarket support. It is AWD so they launch very quickly and the 2015 has lots of legroom. Initial reviews look like it is a wolf in sheeps clothing. MotorTrend is saying that Subaru applied what they learned in the FT86 and the $27K car handles almost was well as an Evo X MR which starts at $38K.

It might be worth waiting a few months to at least test drive one once they come out. You will definitely have more legroom and the steering wheel looks like this which may help with your legs:

Having owned a Genesis Coupe they are not bad cars, so you should drive one, but the WRX will definitely be faster and it should handle better.

The EVO X is a great car if you have close to $40K, but that said, Mitsubishi is a dying brand in the US. Resale could be scary down the road.

New Mustang is definitely worth a look as well. If you want power the new EcoBoost and the GT should be very strong for the money.

Good time to be shopping if you can wait 6 months or so.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Racing seat w/ lower rails and a smaller diameter steering wheel. Because race car.
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, this is a great car.

It is a bit slow, but there are awesome aftermarket companies making plenty of FI options. Also, the balance and handling are godly, and make up a little for the lack of power.

My real issue is the size of the car. I'm 6'4, and at first when I bought the car I was all like, "Yeah, it's a little tight but I can make this work." But now, having the car as my daily driver for 10 months, it's getting annoying. Also, feeling the steering wheel hit my legs is annoying, especially when I'm turning the wheel.

It's not terrible. I can get comfortable in the car, but I guess after a while I'm beginning to think it wasn't the best choice. Combine this with the car being underpowered, and I'm starting to consider trading in the car.

I wonder if I went FI, would I be as bothered by the fact that the car is a bit too small for me? I don't know... I was thinking about trading this in for something like the Hyundai Genesis R spec.

If you guys were going to trade this car in, what would you get? Obviously nothing smaller than the FRS. Any suggestions?
Judging from your post, I say selling it, or trade it = your happiness.

The FI route will bring a lot of resentments for that matter, you will end up hating yourself more LOL
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote