follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: Ark or Perrin
Perrin 2.5 Resonated 64 51.20%
Ark Grip 36 28.80%
Ark DTS 25 20.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #29
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
That's unfortunate. Every time I've called them, I've been able to speak to someone that was able to answer my questions. I was able to get the front pipe for a nice discount...just by asking But I'm sure that now since it's a year later, that won't be possible for anyone. I also ran into one issue and that got taken care of. I've had nothing but good service with them

Yeah I'm not sure if the issues were customer service related or installation problems with fitment and clearance

ARK is a great looking exhaust nonetheless
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
OjiGeorge

Drives: White 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't have any fitment issues with my install, and I'm not a mechanic. Year later, and still going strong with no exhaust leaks.
OjiGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OjiGeorge For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (01-07-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
bgibbsunc

Drives: Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have the ARK Grip and I love it but will probably part ways with it soon. The exhaust looks and sounds amazing. Only reason I amy be letting it go is because I am going straight race car later this year and am gonna do a custom single exit turbo back. Also realize that your numbers on your vote will never even because perrin has sold more exhausts for our platform then ARK has. I have nothing to say about the perrin because I have not owned it nor have I ever heard one in person but from others post they seem like a good option too.

FA20 club 60 trim + flex fuel
467 whp 356 ft lbs @ 19 lbs
Owner of Sidewinders Auto LLC.
San Antonio TX
bgibbsunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #32
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@JohnAyySays

Don't know if you've made your decision yet, but a few more points to add:

Clearance- I've had the exhaust and front pipe early on (when they were first made). I dont have any major issues with the cat back. When I do scrape, it depends on the angle of the car, and that determines what scrapes. I've scraped the pinch welds and the resonator on the mid pipe... It just depends on the angle and how large the speed bump (most common culprit) is. At my townhouse in VA, my driveway has an angled lip leading into the single car garage. One spot on the resonator for the front pipe scrapes.

I am lowered somewhere between 1.5-1.75". Again, what scrapes depends on the size of object and my angle of approach. The scrapes actually aren't the bad or deep on the exhaust components, so its just barley scraping. Not sure if anything has really changed about the current exhausts that are being sold over a year later.

Weight vs performance- gains for cat backs are relatively minimal and all around the same. Let's face it, 1-2whp is just standard variance between dynos (eg, brand A nets 7whp, while brand B claims 5hp)... So that leaves you with two options: sound and weight. Weight will help you performance-wise. There is no argument there. The ARK system is heavy for aftermarket exhausts. No argument there (Perrin wins). But the other question is, what are your plans? Autocross? Track days? Strictly DD? If weight isn't really a concern, then go based on sound (driver skill will win over just an aftermarket exhaust).

Last point being cost... Again Perrin wins.

So what I'm getting at is to set your priorities. Both have similar, negligible gains, but Perrin weighs less, is quieter, and costs less. Personally, I think ARK sounds better and the weight isn't a big deal to me. My car is pretty decently set up for autocross, but I just don't care that much. Eventually I will buy new parts and make it as prepped as it could be.... But just make sure you know what you want and see which fits better to the categories
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Propaganda For This Useful Post:
JohnAyySays (03-18-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
j2 dual exit catback

NO RAGRETS

Trust me on this one.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #34
OjiGeorge

Drives: White 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
@JohnAyySays

Don't know if you've made your decision yet, but a few more points to add:

Clearance- I've had the exhaust and front pipe early on (when they were first made). I dont have any major issues with the cat back. When I do scrape, it depends on the angle of the car, and that determines what scrapes. I've scraped the pinch welds and the resonator on the mid pipe... It just depends on the angle and how large the speed bump (most common culprit) is. At my townhouse in VA, my driveway has an angled lip leading into the single car garage. One spot on the resonator for the front pipe scrapes.

I am lowered somewhere between 1.5-1.75". Again, what scrapes depends on the size of object and my angle of approach. The scrapes actually aren't the bad or deep on the exhaust components, so its just barley scraping. Not sure if anything has really changed about the current exhausts that are being sold over a year later.

Weight vs performance- gains for cat backs are relatively minimal and all around the same. Let's face it, 1-2whp is just standard variance between dynos (eg, brand A nets 7whp, while brand B claims 5hp)... So that leaves you with two options: sound and weight. Weight will help you performance-wise. There is no argument there. The ARK system is heavy for aftermarket exhausts. No argument there (Perrin wins). But the other question is, what are your plans? Autocross? Track days? Strictly DD? If weight isn't really a concern, then go based on sound (driver skill will win over just an aftermarket exhaust).

Last point being cost... Again Perrin wins.

So what I'm getting at is to set your priorities. Both have similar, negligible gains, but Perrin weighs less, is quieter, and costs less. Personally, I think ARK sounds better and the weight isn't a big deal to me. My car is pretty decently set up for autocross, but I just don't care that much. Eventually I will buy new parts and make it as prepped as it could be.... But just make sure you know what you want and see which fits better to the categories
Owning the Grip, I fully agree with this entire post. If sound and zero drone is your ultimate goal, then Grip will win.. but ultimately, I think the Perrin is a better buy. (I haven't heard any drone complaints with Perrin, so that point is moot in this case as well).
OjiGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #35
ARK Performance

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thank you for all the support guys!!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or call.

Erick @ ARK Performance
ARK Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #36
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
I've had my ArK Grip for about 2 months now, and I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks to Jurrian @ModBargains.com
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
ModBargains.com (02-10-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #37
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
I have had my M7 for the past near 800 miles and I LOVE IT!
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (09-13-2015)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #38
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

Believe me, you want ARK
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (09-13-2015)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #39
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Lots of guys have gone with the ARK, it's my personal favorite, and we've got them in stock, ready to ship

ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #40
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
@JohnAyySays You're always more than welcome to shoot me a PM if you have questions in regards to the exhaust and pricing

I've got them in stock as well and they are ready to go
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #41
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
that's funny, i have the perrin resonated CBE mated to an Ark Resonated catless front pipe and I feel like the front pipe really opened up the perrin CBE in terms of nice rumble and good tone. I tend to agree that the perrin is a bit tame but honestly its perfect for that guy looking to get that exhaust note without pissing off his SO or who's looking to get headers down the road. I'm very happy with the quality of the parts i've received from both companies and really don't think you can go wrong either way.
I'm curious as to how that sounds haha.. but I agree. Both company has top notch parts and as always, it's down to personal preference.

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #42
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAyySays View Post
I've looked into Perrin 2.5 catback exhaust resonated and at first was considering this exhaust but some people say it's not noticeable at all through the RPM's unless at WOT.
That's pretty accurate. I sometimes forget that I have an exhaust unless I get on it. I love that though, I don't want to be all loud just cruising down a road.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shagaliscious For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-06-2016)