follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Superhatch
AIM4APX
 
Superhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 642
Thanked 749 Times in 324 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have had a Samsung S3/S4 and an iPhone 4S/5C (work upgrades) and all have their own issues with our units. This is on a 2013 model, and I'm not sure how much the 2014 head unit has changed.

USB Connection
The apple phones are nice if you have music in your iTunes that you want to play. The connected phone has a better sound quality vs. using bluetooth, so playing from a library the iPhone wins. This also means you don't have to worry about BT connection if you are just interested in playing music.

It wins mainly because I have yet to be able to connect the Samsung phones as anything but a "media device" via the USB port. For me this has meant that I can only BT stream my music from my Samsung phone.

BT Streaming/Connection
My iPhones did connect on a more consistent basis, maybe 80% of the time. The real issue was that many times as soon as it connected it would start playing the first song from my iTunes list. You end up hating that song. Also, many time when trying to stream google music/pandora, the iTunes library will start playing first. It's annoying.

The Samsung did worse in initial connection, maybe 50% of the time, but once connected it did only what I asked it to do.

Hands-Free Calling
Almost totally pointless at highway speeds. Most people I talk to cant really hear me well, or complain about the road noise. In the city it works fine. The hands free button/program works well enough, but is clunky and it's a 5 step process to call anyone.

Hands free navigation almost never works.


In conclusion, our head unit sucks. Hard.
__________________
"It's very difficult to present technology as an overtly positive sales device to people who want an emotional car" -Chris Harris
Superhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Andrew025
Senior Member
 
Andrew025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Neptune GR86
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,862
Thanks: 1,438
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
So far connections have been fast and flawless on my Nexus 5.
The only issue is when I receive a text message it sometimes doesn't put who it's from. Instead, it just puts a "." And won't read the message out.
__________________
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
radroach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: car
Location: usa
Posts: 2,162
Thanks: 1,028
Thanked 867 Times in 530 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
My HTC One S has always had an issue where bluetooth audio will skip every second, toggling bluetooth off/on usually fixes this.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
BlueDubbinTDI
Senior Member
 
BlueDubbinTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,975
Thanks: 943
Thanked 570 Times in 356 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have a plan to start over on Jan 15th. Should I get the galaxy S4 for mad cheap or should i wait for the S5?
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
oldpueblo
Senior Member
 
oldpueblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 613
Thanks: 48
Thanked 293 Times in 158 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I have had a Samsung S3/S4 and an iPhone 4S/5C (work upgrades) and all have their own issues with our units. This is on a 2013 model, and I'm not sure how much the 2014 head unit has changed.

USB Connection
The apple phones are nice if you have music in your iTunes that you want to play. The connected phone has a better sound quality vs. using bluetooth, so playing from a library the iPhone wins. This also means you don't have to worry about BT connection if you are just interested in playing music.

It wins mainly because I have yet to be able to connect the Samsung phones as anything but a "media device" via the USB port. For me this has meant that I can only BT stream my music from my Samsung phone.

BT Streaming/Connection
My iPhones did connect on a more consistent basis, maybe 80% of the time. The real issue was that many times as soon as it connected it would start playing the first song from my iTunes list. You end up hating that song. Also, many time when trying to stream google music/pandora, the iTunes library will start playing first. It's annoying.

The Samsung did worse in initial connection, maybe 50% of the time, but once connected it did only what I asked it to do.

Hands-Free Calling
Almost totally pointless at highway speeds. Most people I talk to cant really hear me well, or complain about the road noise. In the city it works fine. The hands free button/program works well enough, but is clunky and it's a 5 step process to call anyone.

Hands free navigation almost never works.


In conclusion, our head unit sucks. Hard.


Actually I think it's far more phone than head unit when it comes to connectivity issues. My phone works 100% of the time, every time, which is a hugely awesome compared to my "expensive" head unit in my Ford Focus. It works great in the "base" FR-S head unit, and the 10 series which is a different head unit. If the head units had issues in general then I should be having issues as well at least part of the time. I think most of the variation lies with phone OS versions, not just Android or iPhone but also what version of the OS they have, custom ROM, etc. It does not work via USB, but it's not supposed to. Once again not a head unit "issue" per se since it's not supposed to be supported in the first place. I prefer bluetooth anyway for convenience, and I think most do. I'm guessing the USB cable support is more for older devices like iPods. And in terms of Bluetooth connectivity, there are lots of Bluetooth profiles that various phones support, for example:


http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/Ho...aq?signin=true
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile"]Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Android of course will be all over the place based on OS version, ROM, manufacturer, etc. And the mic quality/cabin noise isn't really the fault of the head unit. People hear me fine in mine, more so when I angle my head towards the mic when talking. That's not really a function of the head unit I'm guessing since mic's are probably universal?

Last edited by oldpueblo; 12-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
STV3
Señor Member
 
STV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Rockland County NY
Posts: 1,607
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I have a Galaxy S4 Google Play edition and I never have any issues with bluetooth connecting or playing music and making phone calls. Only takes a few seconds to connect when I start my car.

Since you have Verizon I'd say get the Moto X. It runs almost completely stock Android and gets timely updates. It actually got it faster then my Nexus 4 and S4 GPe.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
oldpueblo
Senior Member
 
oldpueblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 613
Thanks: 48
Thanked 293 Times in 158 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just for kicks I went and looked up the BT profiles the base head unit supports. Here they are from page 38 of the manual:

A2DP: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
AVRCP: Audio/Video Remote Control Profile
HFP: Hands Free Profile
PBAP: Phone Book Access Profile
OPP: Object Push Profile
SDP: Service discovery protocol


To make things even more fun, there are version numbers of those profiles, who knows what is supported in terms of that. :P


DOH! I completely forgot you said BRZ, let me try to find that info for you. When I was making my point about there being far too much variation between phones while the head unit stays the same, I somehow switched to FR-S mode. Sorry!


Okay found this link:


http://www.subaru.com/owners/resourc...oth/index.html# (click phone compatibility on the left)


It's likely outdated but could be useful. I didn't see an audio manual anywhere to check bluetooth profiles, I'll keep looking. Then you can compare the head unit to whatever phone you research to see what profiles are supported.

Last edited by oldpueblo; 12-27-2013 at 06:16 PM.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Superhatch
AIM4APX
 
Superhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 642
Thanked 749 Times in 324 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Im in the car for longer trips so the USB works well for me. I guess thats not normal though. I do notice a distinct difference in sound quality between the USB and streaming (when I had the iPhone) so if someone is an audiophile direct connection could be a big deal.
__________________
"It's very difficult to present technology as an overtly positive sales device to people who want an emotional car" -Chris Harris
Superhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
MysteryMachine
Senior Member
 
MysteryMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Location: Austin
Posts: 255
Thanks: 204
Thanked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks for the help. After lots of research and going to the store to try them, I settled on the Moto X. I will post an update once I get it and work with it and the BRZ HU for a while (phone will take approx 1 week to arrive from Motorola).
MysteryMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
MysteryMachine
Senior Member
 
MysteryMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Location: Austin
Posts: 255
Thanks: 204
Thanked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
An update now that I have been using the Moto X with the BRZ for a few weeks.


Bluetooth: The Bluetooth connection strength between the car and the phone is amazing. I left my phone in my bedroom (which is 3 rooms over from the garage) and the phone still connects. I have never had a Bluetooth disconnect.

Aha: The Aha connection is a bit weird, it doesn't always work. Aha is aware of this problem with all Subaru head units and says they are working on it. I finally figured out how to make it work nearly 100% of the time - keep your Bluetooth turned off on your phone until after you start the car (and turn on head unit if not on) then turn on the bluetooth on the phone and allow it to connect. If you do that it will work almost every time - if still not close all the apps on your phone, turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on, it will work then. The sound quality of Aha varies a lot between stations and some stations don't work at all on the Moto X. I have a trouble ticket open with Aha on this and they said they were able to reproduce my problem and are working on a fix

Call Quality: Everyone I have called via the Moto X and the BRZ has said the sound quality of the car is great.

USB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
Im in the car for longer trips so the USB works well for me. I guess thats not normal though. I do notice a distinct difference in sound quality between the USB and streaming (when I had the iPhone) so if someone is an audiophile direct connection could be a big deal.

This was a big downer for me. I special ordered a Moto X with a lot of memory in order to direct connect USB only to find this does not work on any of the newer versions of Android. The BRZ head unit only accepts USB from iOS or a connection as Mass Storage - which google disabled on the newer Android phones. This means only streaming with Bluetooth with the issue that you cannot use the headunit for browsing / skipping etc when connected as AUX or Bluetooth like you could on USB so that is a bigger letdown than the sound quality.

Bluetooth Sound Quality: From what I have been able to read Bluetooth sound quality is held back by the codec, not the bandwidth. Bluetooth audio has the bandwidth to support lossless CD quality level but it uses a crappy codec that is worse than MP3. There is a new much better codec but apparently most head units, including the BRZ, do not support it. The new codec is aptX and Motorola has it on their phones - and while they have not listed aptX explicitly on the Moto X, it would be strange for them to have it on all their new phones except the Moto X (and the moto X chipset should support it). However I must say though not nearly as good as CD the sound over Bluetooth between the BRZ and the moto X is not as bad as I have heard with other car + phone connections and is certainly better than the FM transmitter method I had to use on an older car.

Overall: All in all I am quite pleased with the Moto X, all the downsides are downsides with Android integration or the Bluetooth standards (from what I have read the moto X can support Bluetooth audio that should be as good as lossless if the head unit supports it, which ours doesn't) and are not anything specific with the Moto X.


Outside of the car stuff the Moto X is small, light and actually will last a full day of usage without a recharge. I am a bit cranky that only a couple weeks after I ordered they cut the price of the wood from 100 down to 25 and have 4 woods to choose from (when I bought it was only bamboo) as well as lowering the price of the phone... but that type of thing is unavoidable - it seems every time I buy a phone only a week later there is a price cut or better features LOL.

Last edited by MysteryMachine; 01-30-2014 at 01:40 AM.
MysteryMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waze phone app, everyone should use this Tillman32 Southwest 44 03-10-2014 02:55 PM
Scion tC and FR-S 2014 Monogram Series to be available in early 2014. Moto-P Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 655 01-10-2014 05:03 PM
Phone app. DanoFA20 Site Announcements / Questions / Issues 6 10-22-2012 11:55 PM
Edmunds 2014 Coolest Cars 2014 FR-S Convertible Wizneber Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 21 07-26-2012 08:51 PM
Need Help Picking New Phone Calais Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 10 02-22-2011 04:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.