follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #71
Z0rr0

Drives: 2013 Raven 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcuTek View Post
We all would like to think that we can work with customers who respect each other and that way trust forms and loyalty and respect follows. Lets hope you can add EcuTek to your stable. Not sure if COBB has it, but if your customer does flash back to standard after a problem they are seeking to blame you for, you can expose any foul play on EcuTek
I hope to add ECUTek, spoke to you guys at SEMA.

Case-by-Case basis is exactly that. There needs to be relationship and trust.
Z0rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z0rr0 For This Useful Post:
EcuTek (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #72
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
i'm hoping they'll develop a way to do something useful with this damn analog speedo. whoever's idea that was should be fired.
It is pretty poor haha
Deadspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #73
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0rr0 View Post
Case-by-Case basis is exactly that. There needs to be relationship and trust.
if i'm not mistaken the ecutek software can embed into a rom a set of user_ids (or perhaps only one user_id) that is permitted to open/edit/flash the file. so, really, the trust isn't necessary as the file is usage restricted with drm. but yeah... trust is nice. my old marriage counselor would concur lol.

i suppose you could be a **** and post up screenshots all over the internet or criticize the work. that would be kind of an asshole move. so yeah... trust .
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
EcuTek (12-19-2013), Z0rr0 (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #74
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadspool View Post
Im looking forward to finding some method of knock alert via dash light or so, when a predetermined safe knock sum is exceeded.

This would be a HUGE benefit to amateur tuners in terms of safety and rom development.

The factory boost gauge in my 2g DSM was used as a knock counter, each tick was 5 counts. and the CEL illuminated at anything over 3 counts.
YEAH thats needed
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #75
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:
if i'm not mistaken the ecutek software can embed into a rom a set of user_ids (or perhaps only one user_id) that is permitted to open/edit/flash the file. so, really, the trust isn't necessary as the file is usage restricted with drm. but yeah... trust is nice. my old marriage counselor would concur lol.

i suppose you could be a **** and post up screenshots all over the internet or criticize the work. that would be kind of an asshole move. so yeah... trust .

It's no to keep dirty secrets, or to hide shoddy tuning, or to avoid criticism.

Think about how many tuners are on this forum. Think about how many of those tuners are all competing with each other.

Each tuner has his own way of tuning, and little unique things they do to make their tune their own, and sell-able.

If tuners unlocked all their maps, and they are out there for everyone to post and see, then other tuners, startup tuners, amateurs etc. would have access to all of your hours of proprietary work and research. then can just claim it as their own at that point. No bueno.

We are not here to screw over our customers. We do need to protect ourselves from liability (people modifying our maps that have no idea what they are doing and break something) and keep our livelihood alive and well.

But now, with this ProEcu software, the self-tuning community finally has a real Pro software, with seriously awesome capabilities, and you can share it here for everyone to benefit from if you so desire

It will be cool to see what you guys come up with for custom maps!

-Tristan
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Circuit Motorsports For This Useful Post:
EcuTek (12-19-2013), feldy (12-25-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #76
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports View Post
It's no to keep dirty secrets, or to hide shoddy tuning, or to avoid criticism.

Think about how many tuners are on this forum. Think about how many of those tuners are all competing with each other.

Each tuner has his own way of tuning, and little unique things they do to make their tune their own, and sell-able.

If tuners unlocked all their maps, and they are out there for everyone to post and see, then other tuners, startup tuners, amateurs etc. would have access to all of your hours of proprietary work and research. then can just claim it as their own at that point. No bueno.

We are not here to screw over our customers. We do need to protect ourselves from liability (people modifying our maps that have no idea what they are doing and break something) and keep our livelihood alive and well.

But now, with this ProEcu software, the self-tuning community finally has a real Pro software, with seriously awesome capabilities, and you can share it here for everyone to benefit from if you so desire

It will be cool to see what you guys come up with for custom maps!

-Tristan
i can definitely see how you'd want to keep secret some of the things you can do with custom maps. they definitely lend weight to your argument for sure. being that we're not just talking about one person's car's configuration here, but an actual proprietary implementation of something, almost like new logic. that definitely warrants protection if it's being developed for commercial purposes. i think i agree with you now that i understand how ecutek works a bit more lol. it's really not just a calibration, as with other software.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Circuit Motorsports (12-19-2013), EcuTek (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #77
FA20Club.com
Banned

Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Now that youll have the ability to view what we work with youll be able to see a little bit of how we manipulate the custom tables to accomplish what we do reliably without fighting the factory logic to do something it was never originally intended to do. It was one thing to tell you guys but now youll be able to see hands on just how many options you have available to you. You can get as creative as you want,and thats why most of the commercial tuners have preferred this over whats currently on the market. It can give us a upper hand when promoting our specific product over another. So Yes, there is a rational reason why EcuTek tuners arent eager to share everything because to a certain extent we arent all on the same level for options. I Bill@Delicious does some trick implementations with the custom maps. Even though I consider us friendly I have never asked him exactly what he does simply because thats from his creative mind. Same way ive had other Ecutek dealers askme about software functions and answered freely but I honestly wouldnt share the backend on the custom mapping Ive done though.
FA20Club.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FA20Club.com For This Useful Post:
Circuit Motorsports (12-19-2013), EcuTek (12-19-2013), jamesm (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #78
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

I hope someone will write a comprehensive beginners guide or walk through of the tools we will have available to us.

Im probably thinking too deep, and expecting it to be far more complex than it really is.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #79
FA20Club.com
Banned

Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
there will not be a DIY for the custom maps because thats pretty much left up to the end user. its like writing a manual for painting for sculpting.
FA20Club.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #80
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Thats probably what im having a hard time grasping. As I have no idea what the software looks like and what paints and brushes will be available if you will, my mind is just full of wonder.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #81
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
i'm hoping they'll develop a way to do something useful with this damn analog speedo. whoever's idea that was should be fired.
Turn it into a boost Guage. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #82
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

That could make sense, each 10 would be a pound, 10kmph or mph 1psi, the scale goes a lot higher than the average user would go, plus it would open up a custom boost gauge overlay market..
Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #83
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
EcuTek has a great guide for custom maps, so I dont think anyone will have a problem using it..

It's not rocket science

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
Victor Draken (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #84
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

http://www.ecutek.com/Products/ProEC...stom-maps.aspx