follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #85
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iand518 View Post
Ridiculous is a perfect description for the stock tires grip in any snow.
ROFL! Perfect!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfking For This Useful Post:
Suberman (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #86
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywest717 View Post
No. I just got back from driving my car in less than an inch of snow and ice outside. I only drove to get some food which is literally three minutes away and in a residential neighborhood. I was doing "maybe" 5 mph going up a small hill and the rear of the car was already swerving to the left and right slightly.

Now I'm a big Gran Turismo (video game) fan so I was mentally prepared for this kind of situation and kept the car under control, but...seriously...I'm buying snow tires on my very next paycheck. This lack of traction with these tires is ridiculous!!
Even with winter tires the back end is squirrelly. I highly recommend fitting the best studless snow tires you can afford. You need max grip to tame the rear axle in this car.

In ascending order: Blizzak WS if you're a complete winter wuss, Hankook if you're on a budget, Yokohama if you have more money, Michelin X ice, Continental if you're serious about grip and Nokian if you've got the dough.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #87
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
We didn't have much of a winter in Jersey last year so kept the stock summer tires on. For fun, tried it in the little snow we had and the car had 0 traction. It would not move.

Since we have many clear days in the winter, I put on All Seasons this year. We just had our first snow today! 5 inches! Car moved but the rear end was all over the place. And, unless I turned all the traction controls off, could not go up our driveway.

Why is there less traction up an incline with the Traction Control System on????
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
amram (12-09-2013), ZionsWrath (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #88
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iand518 View Post
Ridiculous is a perfect description for the stock tires grip in any snow. We only see 12" of snow in an average year, and I almost crashed a dozen times last year running the stock tires. DON'T RISK IT!
+1

DON'T RISK IT!
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #89
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
We didn't have much of a winter in Jersey last year so kept the stock summer tires on. For fun, tried it in the little snow we had and the car had 0 traction. It would not move.

Since we have many clear days in the winter, I put on All Seasons this year. We just had our first snow today! 5 inches! Car moved but the rear end was all over the place. And, unless I turned all the traction controls off, could not go up our driveway.

Why is there less traction up an incline with the Traction Control System on????
Oddly enough, in loose snow you get slightly more grip from good snow tires with more wheel slip than the TRAC or the VSC allows. It appears the same applies to your all season tires.

Some all season tires are much more like snow tires than others. There is no minimum standard of winter performance for all season tires. Winter tires must meet an industry minimum winter performance standard. Only a very few all season tires actually meet that standard. I know of only one: the Nokian WR series. However, some all seasons are not too bad in winter conditions even if they don't meet the mountain snowflake standard.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #90
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Some all season tires are much more like snow tires than others. There is no minimum standard of winter performance for all season tires. Winter tires must meet an industry minimum winter performance standard. Only a very few all season tires actually meet that standard. I know of only one: the Nokian WR series. However, some all seasons are not too bad in winter conditions even if they don't meet the mountain snowflake standard.
Yup, for e.g. the stock All-seasons that I got on my FR-S are the Bridgestone Turanza EL-400, see the 'Survey' Tab for tire performance.

Especially note Light snow traction - 3.5 score. Pretty Dismal.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....S&autoModClar=

And compare that with the performance of the Michelin Primacy MXM4 all-seasons. Much better Wet/Dry/Snow -

Especially note Light snow traction - 7.5 score. Not bad!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....S&autoModClar=
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #91
Iand518

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I can tell you Yokohama yk580 all season has great light snow traction, but the dry handling is so bad I have gone back to the tire store and paid to upgrade to Michelin AS3. We all know what we need to safely travel in our respective areas, get what you need to be safe. It would make me so sad to see a wrecker dragging any of you out of a snowy field.
Iand518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #92
cjsporl1996
Banned

Drives: WRB BRZ, Monte Carlo SS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I also live in New Jersey and we just don't get enough snow down here to buy winter tires i am going to run the OEM summer tires till i can afford some new wheels and Direzza z2 tires. We are supposed to get up too 3 inches of snow tomorrow, pray i don't die please but if i do you can tell me i told you so.
cjsporl1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #93
Opethfan

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I live in VT and drove my car in just a inch or two of snow before I got it put away. Trust me when I say you NEED snow tires. It's better to spend the cash on the tires instead of repairs to your car after you hit something.
Opethfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #94
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsporl1996 View Post
I also live in New Jersey and we just don't get enough snow down here to buy winter tires i am going to run the OEM summer tires till i can afford some new wheels and Direzza z2 tires. We are supposed to get up too 3 inches of snow tomorrow, pray i don't die please but if i do you can tell me i told you so.
Not to worry, if it snows 3", and your BRZ is riding on summer tires, I doubt you will be able to build up enough speed to hurt yourself....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
amram (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #95
Dsmith1992
10 Series Colorado

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Jesus man 26f that's cold as F!! J/k, man you Americans are spoiled in the temps department. My car got so cold last year the stereo wouldn't turn on lol.
26 is warm compared to colorado, the past like 10 days have been at like 2 degrees subzero at night
Dsmith1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #96
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm more worry about the salt on the road than slipping. Pick up the frs less than a month ago and didn't have a chance to put a good coat of wax on and now the road is cover in salt and snow
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #97
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wax is not going to protect you from the corrosion. The only way to get rid of the salt is hot water.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #98
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
Wax is not going to protect you from the corrosion. The only way to get rid of the salt is hot water.
Free unlimited touch less car washes for the win!
But yes I do agree, hot water is the only way. Once a week should be enough, maybe a bit longer if you have opti-guard to protect your paint.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote