follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
every single person that i know personally and actually talk to regularly who has this car and a tune has the exact same story. the only place i've ever heard a success stories from e-tuning was on this forum, never in real life. they all have issues, and none of them are resolved as of now.

e-tuning just isn't a good idea in general. it just takes a lot more time, iteration, and a tighter feedback loop than email or a ticketing system provide. the process isn't well suited to that sort of 'remote' approach.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
sosick (12-12-2013), xxscaxx (12-09-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
looks like someone has got too much free time on his hands
Click user name, click View Public Profile, click Statistics, click Find all threads started by vgi. Takes a couple seconds.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
BBB only works if they care about their BBB rating. My mom reported a company to BBB and they didn't give a shit. Their rating went to the lowest possible and it took years before she got her money back. Even after letters from lawyers and such.

Good luck OP.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Click user name, click View Public Profile, click Statistics, click Find all threads started by vgi. Takes a couple seconds.
to find threads, yes, but not to go over through his threads I would guess?
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,182 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
every single person that i know personally and actually talk to regularly who has this car and a tune has the exact same story. the only place i've ever heard a success stories from e-tuning was on this forum, never in real life. they all have issues, and none of them are resolved as of now.

e-tuning just isn't a good idea in general. it just takes a lot more time, iteration, and a tighter feedback loop than email or a ticketing system provide. the process isn't well suited to that sort of 'remote' approach.
None of the tuners we work with do e-tunes. They see it as less money for more work, and of course the inability to immediately address issues/concerns in person and/or at the time of the tune.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As a FYI....my tuner is local. And it has always been on a dyno doing the tuning, even with local dyno tuners, doesnt mean you are guaranteed anything. I did not do an e-tune for this reason initially, as i believed that i could get a better tune on a dyno...yes it cost more, but i was paying for a more custom tune...or so i thought.

So yeah, just seems that problems can happen. I am now on a search for a new tuner, remote or in-person. And even willing to drive or ship my car somewhere. In the end just might do that, as i wont be driving it much or at all now that its winter.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
mike_ekim1024

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post

I agree in-person tuning is better, but I think e-tuning can be done if done well and timely. So far I've logged on Sunday, send him the logs, and he'll have quick feedback on Monday - looking over the logs to make sure everything is ok. Then I'll get a tune and more detailed notes later that week. I'm fine with that.

It is a bit trickier as someone has noted that gas quality, altitude, and other factors make each car different - potentially very different. It might just be hit and miss with tuning in general. Try a few until you find one you like. Unfortunately, that can get expensive.

Looks like this thread got moved.. I understand why, but I also didn't post it to the marketplace because not many people read those. My apologies to the admins, I should have started there, with only a link in the main forums.

Mike
mike_ekim1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
JOSI

Drives: Daihatsu
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
FYI - BBB can't do shit. They have 0 power to do anything.
And they are a complete joke.
JOSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSI View Post
And they are a complete joke.
Due to a weird working arrangement (long story), I had to work at a BBB for a few months. Calling it a racket would be too kind.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
PStaff716

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunFRS View Post
All you can do is write a bad review. Small Claims Court? I doubt it's that serious. You can try to see if your bank will refund the transaction. I've done this for digital goods that I never received.

In order to sue an out-of-state defendant in California small claims court, a lot of legal BS needs to be established like personal jurisdiction and service of process, just a whole big mess that we will almost never see on this forum unless someone was shafted on a full turbo kit or engine rebuild, etc. (which I just don't see happening, I'm just making a hypothetical). Furthermore, a business would have to get served in the state in which the e-tune customer lived, which is next to impossible unless you're like, following the personal agendas of people (which is insane, I might add).

The CC idea is a good one, that's a plausible way to get the funds back.

I am not taking sides here, just making a point about the legal system and the complexities that exist when suing an out-of-state business. Spent too much time on this garbage in my Civil Procedure class
https://www.youtube.com/user/pstaff716
PStaff716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStaff716 View Post
In order to sue an out-of-state defendant in California small claims court, a lot of legal BS needs to be established like personal jurisdiction and service of process, just a whole big mess that we will almost never see on this forum unless someone was shafted on a full turbo kit or engine rebuild, etc. (which I just don't see happening, I'm just making a hypothetical). Furthermore, a business would have to get served in the state in which the e-tune customer lived, which is next to impossible unless you're like, following the personal agendas of people (which is insane, I might add).

The CC idea is a good one, that's a plausible way to get the funds back.

I am not taking sides here, just making a point about the legal system and the complexities that exist when suing an out-of-state business. Spent too much time on this garbage in my Civil Procedure class

It can be done it just isn't worth it for a $300 dollar E-Tune. Anyway, I don't know if you've ever been served but I can promise you that wouldn't be the issue here. It simply wouldn't be worth the hassle.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Anthonytpt

Drives: '13 Argento 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Generally, businesses that do not operate in California can only be sued in the states where they were organized or are headquartered, or where they operate. Rules governing how to start a small claims case in another state are different from state to state, so you have some consulting or reading to do if you're serious. This will likely mean you'll be footing the travel expenses, lawsuit fees, and then any other expenses that are involved. Is the juice worth the squeeze? You will file the suit, pay the fees, and then be assigned a court date. From there, you will present your case against the defendant. A judge will rule in favor of or against you.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #27
mike_ekim1024

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonytpt View Post
Generally, businesses that do not operate in California can only be sued in the states where they were organized or are headquartered, or where they operate. Rules governing how to start a small claims case in another state are different from state to state, so you have some consulting or reading to do if you're serious. This will likely mean you'll be footing the travel expenses, lawsuit fees, and then any other expenses that are involved. Is the juice worth the squeeze? You will file the suit, pay the fees, and then be assigned a court date. From there, you will present your case against the defendant. A judge will rule in favor of or against you.
There's also picketing, which I did years ago when an apartment complex didn't refund my money promptly. They didn't like that. I just sat on the corner with a sign.. free speech.. as long as you're not doing anything illegal or immoral and have a just cause (not just making stuff up).
mike_ekim1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
wulfgang

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ekim1024 View Post
There's also picketing, which I did years ago when an apartment complex didn't refund my money promptly. They didn't like that. I just sat on the corner with a sign.. free speech.. as long as you're not doing anything illegal or immoral and have a just cause (not just making stuff up).
I think the internet version of picketing happened when the OP started this thread.
wulfgang is offline   Reply With Quote