follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Febul

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealer interaction questions.

I'll be going to my local dealership today to purchase the FR-S. This will be my first time doing something like this on my own, and I would like to know of any tips that I could use to make the experience as smooth as possible.

I know exactly what I want if I'm to go with the FR-S, and I'm definitely financing the car.

I might possibly check out the BRZ, just to see the interior in person.

Is there anything that I should avoid saying to/asking the salesperson? Anything that I should definitely ask? Etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Febul; 11-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Febul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
make sure to get everything in writing
Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Run the numbers ahead of time on what you expect to pay and possible apr, use a payment calculator, write the numbers down and bring then in a Manila folder. The salesperson will try to sell based on payment you want to have an idea of the numbers that make up that payment. Also run numbers on BRZ, bring basic info printed in your folder on both cars. Avoid committing to a specific payment range, when they ask say the lowest payment hat makes sense (lowest down, lowest arp when you run numbers). If you haven't already contacted your insurance agent do this, give them the heads up and you'll get your insurance card faxed over as soon as you call. Most third party warranties and undercoating add-ons are crap so decline during the finalization of the loan. Take gap coverage through YOUR insurance policy not in the loan payment, that way things get tight in your budget you can drop it. Know any accessories you want ahead of time, if they won't negotiate price you may be able to get accessories included. Avoid saying it's your first new car or you're only considering this car, and any "limiting" statements, when it comes time to negotiate they'll use those statements as reasons for the pricing. Never take the "first pencil" or the first numbers they give you, it's usually their worst offer. If you're young or young looking I suggest wearing nicer clothing you'll get more respect. Everything can be negotiated. Get everything in writing, if you give a deposit get copies of check and receipt, get copies of any contract. If it doesn't seem right (the numbers, negotiation, respect) thank them for their time, tell them you'll think about it and leave.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gily25 For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (12-01-2013), kthxbai (11-30-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you don't like the deal DO NOT shrug and give in. Make them grovel for your business. I made my dealer my bitch.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueDubbinTDI For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (11-29-2013), Missy (11-30-2013), racecat (12-01-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't accept all their shitty up-sells, that they try and sell you on after you bought the car. Most of it is a straight scam, like those absurd rust protection systems.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
When I went in the first time to my dealership, I told them all the upgrades I wanted (exhaust, sound system, spoiler, intake) and they gave me a $420/month for 60 months with 4.99% (this was for a lease, and I'm only 19). They wouldn't budge on the price one bit. I declined and went on my way. I didn't want to seem desperate to have the car as much as I really did want it, because then they'll exploit that need for the car any way they can to make you give in.
They called me continuously for about two weeks, and I finally went back in. I sat down with them and told them everything I wanted again. This time, I told them I'm considering buying from another dealer who's giving me a better deal, or that I might just get a BRZ instead which has better features. My dealership didn't want to lose the business, so they lowered their price to $403/month, 3.97%, 60 months, gave me all the upgrades I wanted, PLUS put down $500 as a down payment for me from their own money, included 20% tint for all windows for free, and did the sound proofing/ rust protection under coating for free. Then I finally accepted their offer. Don't seem desperate, and you'll be good to go!
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
Be sure to purchase the liquid they rub on the windshield to keep it from breaking. Magic window dressing!
Ha ha, my brother-in-law told me he got this on his new Sienna. I was as proud of him as I have ever been.

Seriously, like the other guy said, no add ons. If you can be patient, order the car with no add ons. Often the ones on the lot will have the add ons and they won't take them off.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,986 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febul View Post
I'll be going to my local dealership today to purchase the FR-S. .......... and I'm definitely financing the car............
You might consider taking along your own financing (check with your bank or credit union).

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Billylammerkins

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Red FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
You might consider taking along your own financing (check with your bank or credit union).

humfrz
If he is a first time buyer (like I was), then his bank or credit union will more then likely not have as good as finance opportunity as the dealership. Credit Unions and local banks care more about credit history then most first-time buyer programs at dealerships.

For example, when I originally went to try and finance my car through my credit union, they offered me a 16% apr.... But when I went through Toyota Financial, they offered me a 3.29% apr...
Billylammerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billylammerkins For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I would say the best advice is to NEVER accept their first, second, third...hell even the 4th offer...Keep going until they let you walk out the door, come back the next day and pick it up on that lowest offer they gave you.

That way you know you got the best deal. My dealer stood firm for a while...Then eventually gave me
- more money for my trade-in
- discount on the cost of the car
- discounted aftermarket parts (exhaust, tinting, head unit, etc.)
- lower finance rate

When all was said and done I had a very nice chunk of change that I saved
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Febul

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
Run the numbers ahead of time on what you expect to pay and possible apr, use a payment calculator, write the numbers down and bring then in a Manila folder. The salesperson will try to sell based on payment you want to have an idea of the numbers that make up that payment. Also run numbers on BRZ, bring basic info printed in your folder on both cars. Avoid committing to a specific payment range, when they ask say the lowest payment hat makes sense (lowest down, lowest arp when you run numbers). If you haven't already contacted your insurance agent do this, give them the heads up and you'll get your insurance card faxed over as soon as you call. Most third party warranties and undercoating add-ons are crap so decline during the finalization of the loan. Take gap coverage through YOUR insurance policy not in the loan payment, that way things get tight in your budget you can drop it. Know any accessories you want ahead of time, if they won't negotiate price you may be able to get accessories included. Avoid saying it's your first new car or you're only considering this car, and any "limiting" statements, when it comes time to negotiate they'll use those statements as reasons for the pricing. Never take the "first pencil" or the first numbers they give you, it's usually their worst offer. If you're young or young looking I suggest wearing nicer clothing you'll get more respect. Everything can be negotiated. Get everything in writing, if you give a deposit get copies of check and receipt, get copies of any contract. If it doesn't seem right (the numbers, negotiation, respect) thank them for their time, tell them you'll think about it and leave.
Thanks What is gap coverage?

Febul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Billylammerkins

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Red FR-S 6MT
Also,

Try and lower the price on the warranty... I work at a dealership and the warranty and "fees" are always something you can argue on. For example if the warranty costs say $4000, you can sometimes get them as low as $2500 for that. Also look at the detailed "Fees" some small fees, such as "Doc Fees" are simple fees that can cost $150, that you don't have to pay at all. When you are taken back to finance, make sure you really look at what you are paying for.

The finance room is where all of the important and expensive decisions are made, so really take your time in there. At the initial sign-in (What salesman call the, "pencil") never ever includes the "fees" or warranty costs. So make sure you understand the costs of that also.

I know other salesman are going to hate me for all of this info, but I look out for my fellow 86/BRZ brethren!
Billylammerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billylammerkins For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Ok, here is what I did.

1/Use Truecar.com for the reported Sold price in your area. Always try to negotiate for a good price

2/Buy the car they have on the Lot, as they can move inventory, your chance to negotiate is better

3/Be firm, be nice, but do not give in if it is not a fair deal

4/Willing to go to several dealers, even if they are 100 miles away, sometime out of state.

5/Everything can be negotiated, including MSRP, Warranty, Additional Paint sealant, details, whatever they may offer.

6/Ask to talk to the Sell Manager, if the representative can not help you

7/Show the Manager the price on truecar.com. If he/she can sell it

8/Any thing about 7-10% off MSRP is a good deal.

9/Use Roadloans.com to know your lowest possible rate, credit score. Bring the approval with you, and all required documents. I did this, when I show the financial guy, he immediately lower my interest rate.

10/ Last and not least. Be Willing to walk away. Don't be afraid. It is your money, your decision.

Most importantly, like billylammer stated. Make sure you are paying the correct amount in the Financial room. The best way is to Decline all additional options. Warranty can be purchased later.
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,986 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febul View Post
Thanks What is gap coverage?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAP_Insurance"]GAP Insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote