follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius357 View Post
I bought a manual car, if I could do it over I'd get an auto.
Why?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #58
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The only thing I wish I could in the automatic is launch it from a dig. I'm interested in changing the final drive on the auto to make the gears more aggressive because as of now, they're a bit too Eco-friendly for my taste.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #59
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshayan View Post
The only thing I wish I could in the automatic is launch it from a dig. I'm interested in changing the final drive on the auto to make the gears more aggressive because as of now, they're a bit too Eco-friendly for my taste.
You can, but it will probably damage the torque converter. Hold brake, stomp gas, release brake.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #60
PSJohnDoe

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I drive the AT as well, I have no regrets about it. Once I supercharge it I think the gear ratios will be irrelevant.
PSJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJohnDoe For This Useful Post:
kuhlka (01-02-2014)
Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #61
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
a bit off topic but...

A torque converter automatic is different from a DCT as multiple people have already put it. The key is fluid coupling is used in the torque converter automatic as opposed to a pure mechanical coupling as found in the DCT and manual transmissions. This is also the reason behind torque multiplication.

For this reason, that is why there is traditionally more drivetrain power loss. HOWEVER... this was fixed by the use of a lock up torque converter in which modern day torque converter automatics utilize.

Old school torque converter automatics were hydraulically controlled. That is why there were "Shift Kits" created that basically increased the fluid pressure to cause the transmission to shift harder and firmer. There was a guy under the username keelesdesign that built this for hondas.

Now days... there is advanced sensors and computers that operate solenoids and such that works a LOT better than the old school "slush boxes". With these advancements, the shift time is fast and and each shift is crisp and firm. If you look at the more modern automatic transmissions, you'll find that the "shift kits" that are built for them, often contain stiffer springs and upgraded solenoids for the valve body. There is also clutch packs that are made of different materials. This also affects the firmness of the shifts.

In terms of a DCT, it is essentially 2 manual transmissions placed into 1 transmission housing. You have a clutch for 1,3,5 and a clutch for 2,4,6. When you're in a gear, the next gear is ready to go. (www.dctfacts.com - Site owned by Lubrizol).

Now some people say that they don't have fun in an auto because they are missing a clutch pedal, awesome. Keep buying a manual transmission vehicle. It's your car. For others, as was witnessed already, they don't have the ability to heel-toe. They aren't spending all of their time trying focused on cars. Does this make them less of an enthusiast? Definitely not.

There are plenty of reasons that people buy a car with a specific type of transmission. Some need to be the fastest around a track. Some have a disability. Some are tired and exhausted after work and driving a manual in rush hour is a hassle to them.

Some people get the same enjoyment regardless. They are not limited to the fact that they need to have a clutch to enjoy the car. They are still steering the car and that's good enough for them.

All that being said... yes. You should definitely make sure what transmission you want before buying. I saw the same car in a different color and out of curiosity wondered how much to trade for it with 200 miles at the time on my current car and the dealer wanted 4500.

There's no issues with what transmission you pick... but you should definitely make sure before buying. Or have deep pockets to offset that regret...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wlfpck For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (04-28-2014), JonAvalon (11-12-2013), jprice130 (11-12-2013), peri.Laynz (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #62
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Much like the title says, I purchased an auto FRS. Before I get bashed on this forum I just want to say he car has been a blast, it's my 2nd car coming from an 2001 audi a6 4.2 v8. That too was an auto, but the frs seems much more perkier and diligent. Since buying the frs, I've begun to ride/race motorcycles and instantly fell in love with the clutch/shifting aspect of motorsports. On top of that, when it comes time to tune the car, I can throw on a heavier clutch to support the added torque. My car is still new, 4k miles and most of aftermarket parts I've put I can just throw the stock ones on in less than a day.

My question to you is: Have you ever had any experience (with any car) trading in the same kind of car/year into a dealer for a different option. I know the auto was around a grand more, but I'm still preparing to lose money going in, hopefully under a thousand I still owe money on the car as well
I bought an A/T FR-S... after 3 days I traded it in "used" at the dealership for a M/T. I lost about $6k. They refused to exchange it as "new". Call me insane... but I'm happier now.
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #63
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Yea that's insane lol. But if you're happy at the end of the day, that's all that matters. I grew up in the video game era playing Gran Turismo 2,3,4,5 and my parents bought me a Logitech steering wheel controller which had paddle shifters. That's what my childhood consisted of, so it felt right to get the AT. Yes I had withdrawals after buying the AT because people always say manual is for the enthusiast, but I stopped listening to others and just did what made me happy.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #64
Byebye

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I bought an A/T FR-S... after 3 days I traded it in "used" at the dealership for a M/T. I lost about $6k. They refused to exchange it as "new". Call me insane... but I'm happier now.
I'm not going to judge you because it's you're money but this post makes me want to punch your original and new car sales staff in the throat.
Byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #65
brianhj

Quote:
Yea that's insane lol. But if you're happy at the end of the day, that's all that matters. I grew up in the video game era playing Gran Turismo 2,3,4,5 and my parents bought me a Logitech steering wheel controller which had paddle shifters. That's what my childhood consisted of, so it felt right to get the AT. Yes I had withdrawals after buying the AT because people always say manual is for the enthusiast, but I stopped listening to others and just did what made me happy.
What's even more insane is I didn't even try the paddle shifters. I thought they were stupid without even thinking it would probably be a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Actually I probably wasn't thinking at all. How is the A/T using the paddles?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #66
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebye View Post
I'm not going to judge you because it's you're money but this post makes me want to punch your original and new car sales staff in the throat.
I talked to the sales manager, too. I probably wasn't assertive enough but I felt so stupid asking to begin with.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #67
Byebye

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
What's even more insane is I didn't even try the paddle shifters. I thought they were stupid without even thinking it would probably be a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Actually I probably wasn't thinking at all. How is the A/T using the paddles?
Fun and easy to use. Manual downshifts sound cool. Sport mode shifts are aggressive and again downshifts sound cool.

Quote:
I talked to the sales manager, too. I probably wasn't assertive enough but I felt so stupid asking to begin with.
Eh it is what it is. It ain't fair and it ain't cool to do that to another human being.
Byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #68
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
... if you're happy at the end of the day, that's all that matters. ... I stopped listening to others and just did what made me happy.
'atta boy!

Have fun, but watch out for Enforcers, don't jeopardize others, and don't get bent.

Last edited by Porsche; 11-13-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (12-12-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #69
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
No. The issue is that when they go to sell the car you traded in, the vehicle history with the DMV/BMV will show that there has been 1 previous owner. Due to that they HAVE to sell it as a used car. Versus a new car in which you will be the only owner.

If someone were to purchase the car you traded in, then they would be the second owner and if they tried to sell it, they would not be able to say single owner/first owner.

They are simply taking into account the "used" status of the car.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #70
CowboyCuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - 10 Series - Ignition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No regrets here with my AT 10series. For a DD, it's great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CowboyCuban is offline   Reply With Quote