follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #43
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza View Post

Those crazy Italians

The FF is not a very smart Ferrari, but, OK good point. My friend and I were out last Spring test driving his 360 spider and, wonder of wonders, we passed a FF equipped with four snow tires. Pirelli Sottozeros of course.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #44
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
So, to be a good sports car, a car must be drivable in the winter? That's news to me...

(I guess an STi is the best sports car money can buy then, since it's a hoot in the snow)
No, but unless you want to drive it year round in any conditions it isn't a sportscar.

An STI is not a sportscar, it might be a sports sedan but it has too many doors to be a sportscar. Great car but not a sportscar.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #45
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Yes, because it is based on the Exige. However, the basic design, which is after all what we are talking about, is the same. The Venom is just a modified Exige. Really modified but still basically the same car.
still not really. i love how you differentiate the elise and exige when they are the same chassis but the venom is "basically the same". the venom is a pretty radical departure. the wheelbase is like a foot and a half longer. more power requires a bigger car and a bigger car is going to make rigidity a bigger issue as everything is farther away. the car is very different.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #46
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
No, but unless you want to drive it year round in any conditions it isn't a sportscar.
Wow. By that definition, pretty much any sports car ever made isn't a sports car.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #47
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yes for some No for others

Problem solved let's move on
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
Suberman (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #48
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

An STI is not a sportscar, it might be a sports sedan but it has too many doors to be a sportscar. Great car but not a sportscar.
Does the STI provide thrills, execllent fun times and sensations? It's sporty.
Is it a car? Yup.
Sportscar.

What you're talking about it a sports coupe, which it is not.

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #49
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
still not really. i love how you differentiate the elise and exige when they are the same chassis but the venom is "basically the same". the venom is a pretty radical departure. the wheelbase is like a foot and a half longer. more power requires a bigger car and a bigger car is going to make rigidity a bigger issue as everything is farther away. the car is very different.
Well, this is no different from what Lotus did to the Elise to build the Exige S.

Lotus stuck an extra few inches into the body and fit a whacking great Toyota V6.

All Lotus cars are basically the same construction. Lotus consults to other manufacturers wishing to build in modular scalable style, in aluminum. Aston Martin springs to mind.

You're technically correct that the Exige and the Elise are the same car, as is the Evora, the Europa (recent one, not the Chapman era one) and the Venom actually.

The Lotus design is scalable and you can basically build the same car just about any size you want.

On that point the new Lexus Coupe looks awfully like a scaled up FRS....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #50
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I driven a pretty good selection of sports cars with my jobs over the years and I do have to say the BRZ is honestly great fun. You just have to remove that all out speed factory since that will obviously skew the the results.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Even if I had the money to afford the F12 I still would have picked my BRZ. This is getting ridiculous though, stop comparing afford sports cars to cars only wealthy old geezers drive.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
Meehow86
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For me, the number one reason I'd take the GT86 over the Ferrari is the DIY factor. One of the main reasons I bought a BRZ is the ability to work on it at home. I get a connection to the car whenever I work on it and that's something I wouldn't be able to do with a Ferrari or most other super cars.
Meehow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meehow86 For This Useful Post:
Kefuddle (11-09-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
fatoni

Quote:
Well, this is no different from what Lotus did to the Elise to build the Exige S.

Lotus stuck an extra few inches into the body and fit a whacking great Toyota V6.

All Lotus cars are basically the same construction. Lotus consults to other manufacturers wishing to build in modular scalable style, in aluminum. Aston Martin springs to mind.

You're technically correct that the Exige and the Elise are the same car, as is the Evora, the Europa (recent one, not the Chapman era one) and the Venom actually.

The Lotus design is scalable and you can basically build the same car just about any size you want.

On that point the new Lexus Coupe looks awfully like a scaled up FRS....
yeah. the new exige is also different than the old exige. i dont know if you are just ignoring the fact that adding a foot or so to wheelbase is a significant engineering feat and that it will drastically change the nature of the cars stability and handling in general or if you just dont think its an issue but i assure you, its significant.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #54
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
yeah. the new exige is also different than the old exige. i dont know if you are just ignoring the fact that adding a foot or so to wheelbase is a significant engineering feat and that it will drastically change the nature of the cars stability and handling in general or if you just dont think its an issue but i assure you, its significant.
Well, I don't say making an Exige into a Venom is easy. But I was pointing out that it isn't that hard structurally. As for handling changes from wheelbase extension that isn't very hard to deal with either for a road car.

Lotus scalable engineered structures are suitable for projects like the Venom and some electric cars. Other manufacturers have noticed.

This thread was originally about the BRZ/FRS as compared to a supercar. The fact that you could make one into the other with enough money probably isn't germane to the discussion.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #55
fatoni

Quote:
Well, I don't say making an Exige into a Venom is easy. But I was pointing out that it isn't that hard structurally. As for handling changes from wheelbase extension that isn't very hard to deal with either for a road car.

Lotus scalable engineered structures are suitable for projects like the Venom and some electric cars. Other manufacturers have noticed.

This thread was originally about the BRZ/FRS as compared to a supercar. The fact that you could make one into the other with enough money probably isn't germane to the discussion.
my point is that the venom isnt just an elise with added power. just like adding power isnt going to make the frs better or faster than the f12
Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #56
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
my point is that the venom isnt just an elise with added power. just like adding power isnt going to make the frs better or faster than the f12
That's an interesting speculation which we are no doubt going to get answered fairly soon: how much power can the stock chassis use?

I suspect if you fit decent tires the BRZ could handle around 300 bhp with no modification. That should drop the 0-60 time under 5 seconds and maybe more like 4.5 seconds assuming the power is provided by supercharging of some type.

I also suspect that a 2.5 litre version of the new motor would be an easy thing for Subaru to build and that they will do so for their larger North American market models.

So, closer to 400 bhp seems easily achievable. Mercedes has just released a road car with a 355 bhp 2.0 litre turbo engine!

Fit slightly stiffer springs and shocks to match and the BRZ could easily handle 400 bhp. The car would still weigh less than 3,000 lbs. I think you'll be in F12 territory by then.

We shall see. Horsepower and speed are becoming very unfashionable and we may be seeing the end of the true supercar as we have known it. There is nowhere to drive them.

In this light, the current BRZ as it comes from the factory may be ahead of its time. Performance of supercars may drop down closer to the existing BRZ range before too much longer.