follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_noel View Post
Had anyone used Cooper Zeon RS3-A all seaon tire?
Not that exact tire but friends of mine really like their Cooper tires.

Sixth biggest tire company and bought Avon UK a decade or so ago and merged the technology.

Avon has always made industry leading tires.

If you do decide to give them a try post your views after you try them out in some snow.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Michelin Pilot Sports A/S also a quiete grippy great tire to consider.
I agree, will be trying a set in serious snow this weekend and will post my views.

The newest version of this tire is the Pilot A/S 3 which is rumoured to be spectacular. As good in the warm and dry as the Pilot Sport 2 and still works in the cold, so Michelin claims.

Edit

Well, am I impressed with these tires in wet and icy snow. Drove my SAAB Aero at normal speeds today on awful roads: 4 inches of wet slushy and icy snow. Wet roads were no problem either. Fantastic tires.

For many locations fitting a set of these Michelin Pilot A/S Plus, or the newer A/S 3, could very well satisfy summer and winter driving requirements.

I'm quite blown away by this tire. And to think five years ago I wouldn't buy any all season tire for any of my cars.

Last edited by Suberman; 11-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I put on some 205 section cheap Kumo tires. The amount of grip I have is scary, literally no grip in the dry at all haha. Should be awesome for the winter though. I can honestly drift my damn car going like 20mph, so much fun. I don't think I will ever buy expensive tires again.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Red_FR-S View Post
I'm looking to get all-season tires for my FR-S and I've narrowed it down two brands. Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric All Season. I'm mounting on stock rims. Any thoughts?
i have the bridgestone potenzas on my frs staggered 265/35 rear and 235/40 fronts... i dont know if its just the sidewall but they definitely arent the most comfortable ride lol kind of loud but a shit load of grip for sure. i have a dedicated set of winter tires on the stock rims but i got the all seasons because i want to continue with my summer wheels up until late november early december. i think ill be going with a 265/40 or a 275/40 next time around to get a bit more comfort as well as to fill in that nasty gap
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
I agree, will be trying a set in serious snow this weekend and will post my views.

The newest version of this tire is the Pilot A/S 3 which is rumoured to be spectacular. As good in the warm and dry as the Pilot Sport 2 and still works in the cold, so Michelin claims.

Edit

Well, am I impressed with these tires in wet and icy snow. Drove my SAAB Aero at normal speeds today on awful roads: 4 inches of wet slushy and icy snow. Wet roads were no problem either. Fantastic tires.

For many locations fitting a set of these Michelin Pilot A/S Plus, or the newer A/S 3, could very well satisfy summer and winter driving requirements.

I'm quite blown away by this tire. And to think five years ago I wouldn't buy any all season tire for any of my cars.
I got the A/S 3 as well about a month ago. I haven't seen snow here yet, but so far dry/wet traction is awesome. I tried doing a fast corner/launch, but no tire noise. Grips every bit of the road. Looking forward for this winter!
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
My 255 width dws dont work in more than a couple inches of snow.
255 is way too wide for an all-season tire to work well in the snow, especially on cars as light as our's.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
Ralph Spoilsport

Drives: 2013 BRZ, WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had the DWSs on my 04 wrx. I would highly recommend instead the Pilot Sport AS/3 (which I also had on that car).

The single greatest feature of the DWS is wet traction. And they are amazing. They were still amazing (if a little less so) at the wear bars.

But the AS/3 is a much nicer handling tire with subjectively higher limits, crisper turn in, better on center feel and nearly as good in the rain. Stiffer sidewall (I liked that). *Quiet*. They are on the short list for my BRZ. Probably most practical for me. Super Sports are tempting....

Edit: I have never driven the AS/3 or DWS in serious snow (more than an inch or so) -- I mount real snows for my real Winter.
Ralph Spoilsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Spoilsport For This Useful Post:
Marchy (11-22-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #22
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Didn't want to go with having to get 4 snow tires, so change the OEM HPs with Michelin Primacy All Season MXM4. So far, ride is slightly softer going over road imperfections (which I find as an improvement over the OEM HPs), with the same handling around town.

We'll see how they do in the snow and ice.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post
I had the DWSs on my 04 wrx. I would highly recommend instead the Pilot Sport AS/3 (which I also had on that car).

The single greatest feature of the DWS is wet traction. And they are amazing. They were still amazing (if a little less so) at the wear bars.

But the AS/3 is a much nicer handling tire with subjectively higher limits, crisper turn in, better on center feel and nearly as good in the rain. Stiffer sidewall (I liked that). *Quiet*. They are on the short list for my BRZ. Probably most practical for me. Super Sports are tempting....

Edit: I have never driven the AS/3 or DWS in serious snow (more than an inch or so) -- I mount real snows for my real Winter.
I have driven A/S plus in real winter conditions. They are freakin amazing. DWS were previous champion all season tires in winter. Dunno about A/S 3 they're pretty new.

I agree there's no substitute for proper winter tires though.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #24
Suberman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
I got the A/S 3 as well about a month ago. I haven't seen snow here yet, but so far dry/wet traction is awesome. I tried doing a fast corner/launch, but no tire noise. Grips every bit of the road. Looking forward for this winter!
You will be amazed at the winter performance. I was and I have driven on full winters every winter for 40+ years. These newest michelins are nothing short of miraculous.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Such an amazing tire!

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Review
http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/r...l-season-tire/

"Next up was a dry autocross course and as we rounded the clubhouse I saw the cars: 6-speed Subaru WRX STis. This would be fun. The real twist here was the competition. In what I thought was a pretty ballsy move, Michelin pitted the A/S 3 against its competitor’s Max Performance Summer Y rated tires, not their all-season rubber. These included the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Pirelli P-Zero and Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position.

The Michelin was the big eye-opener with overall grip and predictability as good or better than the others..."
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
MadFRS

Drives: UltraMarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_noel View Post
Had anyone used Cooper Zeon RS3-A all seaon tire?
I can vouch for this tire performing well, especially for the price. I haven't driven in the snow with it, but the dry/wet performance so far has been really nice. I also like the look of the sidewall compared to the stock tires. I had the Bridgestone's on my frs and even though its the same size, it looks like a meatier tire.

Pleasantly surprised. I purchased them out of desperation, as I had an unrepairable rear flat, and was 120+ miles of interstate driving away from home and didn't want to run the spare for that long at speed. Was the only decent All Season in my size that was in stock. Small shop on the weekend narrows down my options.

When I burn through these, I will probably switch to a wider spec tire in the Summer version of this RS3 Zeon tire.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
my OEM tires are finally getting close to bald.. guess its time to try the A/S 3 too!
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I put a set of A/S3s on the car last week and love them so far. We only get a few snow storms a year here though.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
Suberman (12-10-2013)