follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #43
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Bought an FRS. I hate navigation, hate HID's, hate touchscreens in cars, hate 'automatic climate control', hate leather, the fact that it was cheaper is just a bonus. If the prices were flipped I still would have bought the FRS. Didn't bother driving the BRZ, they're the same, if I cared that much about the suspension I'm likely going to go aftermarket anyway.

Don't give a flying fuck about badges or who is more 'responsible' for this car, I'd probably have bought it if it was built by Tata (assuming equivalent build quality and performance).

I'm also very glad I got a '13 now that touchscreens are 'standard'.
This. Out of all the versions, the FR-S is most like the 90's cars which I have a strong passion for. I'm very happy with no euro style blarring LED's and call my old school but I love the fact that I can turn a key.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #44
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I went BRZ because I wanted leather seats, push button start, dual climate control and HID's. The FR-S 10 edition didn't appeal to me because it didn't have leather seats, the illluminated logos are terrible, and I could only get it in Silver. The FR-S Monogram edition hadn't been announced at that point.

They're essentially the same car with a few minor cosmetic and option differences.
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #45
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer 2.5 View Post
MUSCLES? =) haha
Ok here we go!
1. Toyota owns a 25% stake in Subaru
2. Toyota practices "Lean" of which I am an expert. They did not have the capacity to make a lower budget car, but knew that Subaru could make and design the platform without hurting their company/sales.
3. The BRZ has sold almost as much as the WRX platform this year in most states, and is well known by the older demographics because of the more "luxurious" interior haha
4. Toyota did design the body. No doubt. This is not a Subaru design. The front end and the bumper are, but that's another story.
5. Sorry bud, the transmission wasn't pulled from the IS-F. Its an Aisin base design with loose ties to the IS-F. It is 90% a new transmission. (designed by TOYOTA AND SUBARU)
6. This is getting tiring... Subaru powerplant. Used in multiple other platforms... All without the crappy Toyota DI. The DI was an add in. The FA20 is a SUBARU design, and has transferred to the FB20, The FA18, ect...
7. The interior is DENSO parts, and The knobs are straight out of previous years Impreza's (on the premium) The materials, ect, all used in other Subaru platforms.
8. The head unit is not Toyota, you're way off base fella. It is used in almost every platform Subaru has out. It is aftermarket based.
9. Toyota did most of the INITIAL R&D and body/aero design.
10. The electrical is all subaru, except for the Direct Injection/programming for Direct Injection.
I would say all in all, this is a 65/35 split between Subaru/Toyota. Go figure.
I respect your opinions, however I have to put the reality on the table. So sorry about my Profile picture, I'm not egotistical, it was actually the only picture I could find of myself. I anxiously await your well thought response Mr. Supra!
2.Toyota has the funding to do whatever they want. They made the LFA just because they wanted to show everyone they could. If they wanted to buy out Subaru or any of their engine designs they would have. They could have made their own flat mounted engine if it came down to it, which would have been more reliable than anything Subaru will ever build. But they own part of a company that already has half the work done so that's a no brainier.

3.The brz has sold so well compared to the WRX because the brz is the "cool" thing to have right now and the wrx replacement is a few months out, so of course people are waiting on the new one.

4.Toyota design.

5.We are both right, but still Toyota.

6.Not sure of your rebuttal here.

7.Not sure of your rebuttal here.

8.FR-S has a Toyota Pioneer head unit.

9.You pretty much said I was right.

10.So the electrical isn't all Subaru just like I said.

Nothing wrong with your picture. Toyota is awesome for this car and other like it. Subaru is awesome for the ST-I and..
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #46
yohan04

Drives: Your sister
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post

This car is a Toyota. It's the Toyota 86, imagined and dreamed up by Toyota.
Quote:
Forgot to mention how much I hate the reference "twins".
Quote:
Toyota did most of the R&D. This is a Toyota car.
Quote:
4.Toyota design.

5.We are both right, but still Toyota.

Shhhhh Shhhh it's gonna be ok -- I get it, it's a Toyota. Whatever make you sleep better at night, right?

yohan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #47
irucremmi

Drives:
It's a Toyobaru assholes lol...
irucremmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irucremmi For This Useful Post:
boxer 2.5 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #48
Steve201brz

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If it wasn't a joint venture this car wouldn't exist so I don't get why it even matters "who's car it is".
Designing is important for a good product. Manufacturing directly relates to the cost.
You can design the absolutely best automobile ever made but if it's not put in production it's no better than any of the other failed projects. There would be no GT86 if Toyota did it solo.
Well, there could have been except that it would it be more expensive. That said, it wouldn't sell nearly as well as it has and it would eventually be scrapped like every other project that doesn't make a profit (few exceptions).

TL;DR - Realization is equally important as design.
I'm not favoring either company. Just speaking from my own standpoint within the manufacturing industry

Edit: grammar
Steve201brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #49
PSORngr

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I chose BRZ because I wanted the WRB color, keyless entry/exit, and I prefer the look of the car with a spoiler on and would not buy a car without HIDs. I ended up with an FR-S b/c the Scion dealership I went to after the Subaru dealership (just to check out the orange color) had a 10 Series which checked off the keyless entry/exit and HIDs and they quoted my car wrong by $1.5k. The switch from WRB to Silver Ignition was worth $1.5k to me (plus I liked the Scion '14 HU more than the Subaru HU).
PSORngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #50
DCStorm

Drives: 2013 FR-S (RIP), 2017 Toyota 86
Oh great another civil war is among us.
DCStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #51
DCStorm

I chose the FRS because I don't need any leather and heated seats or any of that useless crap. That is not why I purchased a RWD sports coupe. That and because the BRZ bumper is as ugly as sin.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCStorm For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #52
DCStorm

Quote:
More research is in order for only you there muscles. When I look at my car and see Subaru stamped everywhere, it's because it was manufactured in a Subaru plant, which is how Toyota wanted it. As I stated above Toyota owns a percentage of this company. You walk into a Subaru dealer as a non enthusiast and you'll probably think the brz looks out of place. The curves scream Toyota. As far as the transmission, it was pulled from the Lexus IS-F. And your "engine through and through" is sadly incorrect. All you have to do is look at the cover and see the D4-S marking. That's Toyota injection. Follow me? And for your "Subaru interior", my climate controls are straight off a corolla and my turn turn signal knob and wiper knob are Toyota as well. As is my head unit. Easy on the Subaru electronics statement, as that is incorrect as well. Toyota did most of the R&D. This is a Toyota car.

Just to top it off, if you look around in the engine bay long enough you might even find a Mitsubishi part.
Mitsubishi part?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #53
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
call it a toyota/scion all you want but it says subaru all over the engine bay haha. Spoiler alert, they're all the same car
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkblitzed For This Useful Post:
boxer 2.5 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #54
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I bought an FR-S on 07/03/12 because it was at the lot when I got there. I tried to buy three others before mine. I would call a dealership and ask if they had one, if they said yes, I would leave. Then on the they way there, they would call me and tell me it had sold. THREE TIMES! LOL

Last edited by Leonardo; 11-04-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #55
jblmr2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think this thread has accomplished a thing towards advancing a potential buyer's knowledge of these cars. 3 pages of DNA debate, and expressions of personal preferences sure wouldn't influence my decision if I were in the market. As FR-Supra expressed, in a less than delicate way, all of this has been said a million times before in a million different places. Why don't we let this one die?
jblmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #56
chickdigger802

Drives: 1997 Geo Prizm
bought brz because toyota's here are charging too much for a bare ass fr-s, while i got a swell deal on a brz limited.

The extra goodies don't hurt. Automatic + limited goodies makes a swell ass daily commuter.

if you want a barebones MT track car tunermobile, fr-s is where its at (if you can find it cheaper than brz around where you are at).
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote