follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #2661
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Trev View Post
FR-S TREV, FRS, 45,000 kms, in shop since July 23rd 2013!!!!, Canada

Crusing at HWY speeds toward the mountains, and kaput!! CEL came on, SL lights came on, Cruise control lights turned orange, etc...... Car started bucking and sputtering. But the engine was running the whole time. Took in to local Toyota for answers. They changed the High Pressure fuel pump, as this was the code they were getting. Drove away from shop 3 blocks when it happened again. Returned to Toyota to drop it off and haven't driven it since.

The shop foreman took it for a rip to get some data for Toyota and in the process the engine finally let go. One of the Catalytic converters let go a perfect circle out the middle into the other one and blew it through my exhaust. All the pistons and cams are scored and there is so much carbon build up in the engine I can't believe it.

Last week the last of the back ordered parts arrived to start building me a new engine (or so I thought). Got a call again yesterday saying I was still waiting for 7 rocker arms to arrive. So here I sit with a rental car (which my dealer is taking care of I might add ) And it looks like I'll get it back just in time to park it for the winter. Bhaaaa Frustrating summer indeed. All I wanted to do was drive my car :P

SO my ordeal has lasted about 3 months now and I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. Lets just hope the shop can build and FA-20 better than the factory ?????

what is your build date ?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #2662
FR-S Trev

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S TRD Mods
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I'm not sure. Pardon my noobness but how do I find that info out? Is there a code in my VIN that will tell me?
FR-S Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2663
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Trev View Post
I'm not sure. Pardon my noobness but how do I find that info out? Is there a code in my VIN that will tell me?

Open the driver's door and check the sticker (should be white in color). Along with other info, you will find a month and year.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #2664
FR-S Trev

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Open the driver's door and check the sticker (should be white in color). Along with other info, you will find a month and year.
Lol. Figured it would have been this easy. I'll let you folks know the build date as soon as I see my car again.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2665
FR-S Trev

Garage
Quote:
Build Date is 07/12
Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #2666
Eddie

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Sport-Tech (auto)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Add my BRZ to the list:

build date 07/12
last 4 of VIN 3003
~6000kms

I have had the rough idle on and off through the winter in Montreal (chalked it up to the cold along with limited use), but I got the severe shakes just after my move and that triggered the codes P0300 and P0019.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (11-25-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #2667
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Update 7:
23 Oct 2013

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): If you have modified your car's engine, ECU, drivetrain, etc. Scion will most likely not cover any of their Technical Service Board (TSB) announcements. This is because of the modifications even if the modification did not cause the issue (Said by two Scion Corporate Reps, 2013).

Yesterday, I talked with my new Scion Rep case manager--for some reason they switched reps--and they basically gave me some options for my current issues. However, the options were a little disappointing since they already knew the outcome.

1. Take car into Scion dealer and have them diagnose the issue (almost any dealer that sees a modification, whether it is an intake system, oil catch can, turbo, etc. on this car will more than likely turn you away, which corporate says "the dealers are franchises so they can turn customers away if they feel the car can harm their equipment or they do not feel comfortable working on it."

2. Submit an "Arbitrary Law" claim against the voided warranty

3. Submit a "Lemon Law" claim since the car was going to fail

4. (Funny, asked Scion Corp rep to repeat this three times) Revert everything to stock/OEM and try to see if you can do a warranty claim (Scion Corporate referred this option, it's hard to believe). Basically my Scion rep said I can pull my Turbo off and make it look like nothing has been modified. Then they had said I will need to buy/install a new ECU through the dealership and have the dealership install it. This is because the current ECU has been modified (ECUtek). However, if an authorized dealer feels that car has been modded and the issues were caused by the modifications I would basically pay for a crap ton of shop time and have a torn down engine.

Most likely the cause of my issues: ECU and AVCM failure (this will be confirmed through my Tuner Shop in a month or two with pictures) As I did more research and talked to more Scion dealers I've found that the issue is possibly caused by ECU failure or Active Valve Control System (AVCM); I personally would go with the latter.

Funny Key notes the Scion Corp rep said:

1. Toyota designed the engine, not Subaru…even though it was a group project.

2. Any Technical Service Board announcements from Subaru do NOT have anything to do with Toyota/Scion (even though they are pretty much the same...). Toyota/Scion will post their own TSB announcements and they shouldn't be mixed.

Example I brought up: Subaru TSB announcement 02-132-12, released on 21 August 2012 talks about the issues with the Active Valve Control System (designed by Toyota from what the rep said) and the issues with the cam sensors and the valve opening/closing incorrectly. Scion's TSB announcement S-SB-0033-13 on 30 August 2013 talks about the exact same issue with effective VIN range. My question: Why was this TSB just released over a month ago when Subaru identified an issue over a year ago??? And yet it has nothing to do with the FRS? Plus, my Scion reps told me throughout the summer there were no issues with my car and the idling was normal...but Subaru is on to something…

More updates to come…
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiro For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (11-25-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #2668
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
Toyota designed the engine, not Subaru…even though it was a group project.
Funny, Subaru told me that the car is 100% Toyota except the engine which was 100% Subaru. I'm pretty sure they're both probably incorrect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkish For This Useful Post:
shiro (10-23-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #2669
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I've now had 2 ECU failures within a month time frame. CEL comes on and the car goes into limp mode..car is currently at the dealer.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #2670
Nothing

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Yup. If it's machining errors with the parts replacing them will resolve the issue. Personally I think even the re flashes are fixing things as much as they are "working around" machining errors.
Got a picture of the part that Toyota says is the actuator. Just want to further confirm this and next weekend when I get the ability to tear this apart and fix it I'll try and post pics.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382691062.486648.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  53.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382691077.586667.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  61.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #2671
shiro

Garage
That sucks man. Bonus side is that your dealership is replacing it. I flashed mine so no more warranty, which I really don't want to know how much a new ECU is lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
I've now had 2 ECU failures within a month time frame. CEL comes on and the car goes into limp mode..car is currently at the dealer.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #2672
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Add my BRZ to the list:

build date 07/12
last 4 of VIN 3003
~6000kms

I have had the rough idle on and off through the winter in Montreal (chalked it up to the cold along with limited use), but I got the severe shakes just after my move and that triggered the codes P0300 and P0019.
Mine is also a 7/12 build. Had the CEL but the dealer flash "fixed it" so far no engine work. But still frustrated that the 01C flash is not available for our cars. Kind of left us in limbo with a lot of unanswered questions as to why 2012's can't have the latest calib.

Quote:
Update 7:
23 Oct 2013

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): If you have modified your car's engine, ECU, drivetrain, etc. Scion will most likely not cover any of their Technical Service Board (TSB) announcements. This is because of the modifications even if the modification did not cause the issue (Said by two Scion Corporate Reps, 2013).

Yesterday, I talked with my new Scion Rep case manager--for some reason they switched reps--and they basically gave me some options for my current issues. However, the options were a little disappointing since they already knew the outcome.

1. Take car into Scion dealer and have them diagnose the issue (almost any dealer that sees a modification, whether it is an intake system, oil catch can, turbo, etc. on this car will more than likely turn you away, which corporate says "the dealers are franchises so they can turn customers away if they feel the car can harm their equipment or they do not feel comfortable working on it."

2. Submit an "Arbitrary Law" claim against the voided warranty

3. Submit a "Lemon Law" claim since the car was going to fail

4. (Funny, asked Scion Corp rep to repeat this three times) Revert everything to stock/OEM and try to see if you can do a warranty claim (Scion Corporate referred this option, it's hard to believe). Basically my Scion rep said I can pull my Turbo off and make it look like nothing has been modified. Then they had said I will need to buy/install a new ECU through the dealership and have the dealership install it. This is because the current ECU has been modified (ECUtek). However, if an authorized dealer feels that car has been modded and the issues were caused by the modifications I would basically pay for a crap ton of shop time and have a torn down engine.

Most likely the cause of my issues: ECU and AVCM failure (this will be confirmed through my Tuner Shop in a month or two with pictures) As I did more research and talked to more Scion dealers I've found that the issue is possibly caused by ECU failure or Active Valve Control System (AVCM); I personally would go with the latter.

Funny Key notes the Scion Corp rep said:

1. Toyota designed the engine, not Subaru…even though it was a group project.

2. Any Technical Service Board announcements from Subaru do NOT have anything to do with Toyota/Scion (even though they are pretty much the same...). Toyota/Scion will post their own TSB announcements and they shouldn't be mixed.

Example I brought up: Subaru TSB announcement 02-132-12, released on 21 August 2012 talks about the issues with the Active Valve Control System (designed by Toyota from what the rep said) and the issues with the cam sensors and the valve opening/closing incorrectly. Scion's TSB announcement S-SB-0033-13 on 30 August 2013 talks about the exact same issue with effective VIN range. My question: Why was this TSB just released over a month ago when Subaru identified an issue over a year ago??? And yet it has nothing to do with the FRS? Plus, my Scion reps told me throughout the summer there were no issues with my car and the idling was normal...but Subaru is on to something…

More updates to come…

Your post highlights why no one with early build dates should be doing any mods. If you read that TSB it basically addresses the same issue the massive flash "recall" was supposed to.

And it is a very complicated TSB, I would rather keep driving and get a new engine before expecting the local Scion mechanic to do this sort of work. Its basically a corporate CYA TSB IMO, not something that will be realistically performed.

Quote:
1. Toyota designed the engine, not Subaru…even though it was a group project

Understand there is a big difference between design "engineering" and engineering. Design is basically I have an idea, a concept, I want x,y,z. There are many engineers who specialize in design because they have some grasp on what is technically achievable. But its obvious Subaru did the real leg work and engineered the entire car. Even the D4-S controls are written in Subaru code

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
shiro (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #2673
shiro

Garage
Quote:
Your post highlights why no one with early build dates should be doing any mods. If you read that TSB it basically addresses the same issue the massive flash "recall" was supposed to.

And it is a very complicated TSB, I would rather keep driving and get a new engine before expecting the local Scion mechanic to do this sort of work. Its basically a corporate CYA TSB IMO, not something that will be realistically performed.
Absolutely, you make very valid points. It is unfortunate that these outcomes happen. And it's a gamble if/when these symptoms and issues will occur. It is a fun car yet a very costly project for the original owners.

Quote:
Understand there is a big difference between design "engineering" and engineering. Design is basically I have an idea, a concept, I want x,y,z. There are many engineers who specialize in design because they have some grasp on what is technically achievable. But its obvious Subaru did the real leg work and engineered the entire car. Even the D4-S controls are written in Subaru code
Yes, agreed. I was just a little offended how the Corporate Scion Rep worded "ownership" of the engineering. They said it in such a confident voice that it was condescending on an enthusiast's knowledge. Basically, they said it was Toyota that did all the design and work and Subaru was along for the ride...sorry Toyota but I'm sure Subaru did some major work themselves on this car...

Thanks for your response.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #2674
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
That sucks man. Bonus side is that your dealership is replacing it. I flashed mine so no more warranty, which I really don't want to know how much a new ECU is lmao.
The ECU itself is around $800. Not something you'd want to have to replace.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowblind For This Useful Post:
shiro (10-27-2013)