follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #2647
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
So I'm gonna attempt to repair this myself. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the cam system? Hell, a picture of the part itself would work at this point so I can have an idea what my weekend could look like.
Somewhere in the forum, someone posted the complete Subraru repair manual for the car, exploded views and step by step details to repair the whole car.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #2648
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exclamation

Update 3:

Death of Sasha (kind of a kinky name)...

Well guys, took my car to Toyota yesterday for them to look at the idling issues. The mechanics won't touch the car until they get permission from the regional rep, who is coming up to the area in a week or so. I can understand that since it's modded and all.

But here's the thing; took her out this morning and she was driving really nice with no issues for the first 5 minutes. Then I had a weird engine noise/knock out of nowhere, pulled her into a parking lot real quick and pulled out my ECUtek data logger to pull some data. The ECU wouldn't respond and I couldn't gain access to the map. No check engine light or codes at all. And lastly, the engine locked up seconds later...still no codes or ECU reads. This will be an interesting journey with Toyota. Now, time to get some coffee and start the day.

[ame]http://youtu.be/pp5DrnCQYMg[/ame]

Last edited by shiro; 10-16-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added Marker: Update 3
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #2649
Nothing

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Somewhere in the forum, someone posted the complete Subraru repair manual for the car, exploded views and step by step details to repair the whole car.
Yeah, I have the one that has the standard stuff like change oil, trany and diff fluid but it doesn't show stuff like taking the cam cover off the front of the motor, removing the head, sizes and torque specs of the bolts. I need that $2-300 big repair manual. Or the guys that do the Haynes manual need to hurry up.

Edit: Subaru has an online repair manual that downloads PDF files but you have to have login access to it. That's probably what I need/want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
Death of Sasha (kind of a kinky name)...

Well guys, took my car to Toyota yesterday for them to look at the idling issues. The mechanics won't touch the car until they get permission from the regional rep, who is coming up to the area in a week or so. I can understand that since it's modded and all.

But here's the thing; took her out this morning and she was driving really nice with no issues for the first 5 minutes. Then I had a weird engine noise/knock out of nowhere, pulled her into a parking lot real quick and pulled out my ECUtek data logger to pull some data. The ECU wouldn't respond and I couldn't gain access to the map. No check engine light or codes at all. And lastly, the engine locked up seconds later...still no codes or ECU reads. This will be an interesting journey with Toyota. Now, time to get some coffee and start the day.

If you can, go back to stock. Especially your ECU.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #2650
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I have the one that has the standard stuff like change oil, trany and diff fluid but it doesn't show stuff like taking the cam cover off the front of the motor, removing the head, sizes and torque specs of the bolts. I need that $2-300 big repair manual. Or the guys that do the Haynes manual need to hurry up.

Edit: Subaru has an online repair manual that downloads PDF files but you have to have login access to it. That's probably what I need/want.

That big one is the one I am talking about. Its the entire Subaru subscription compressed into a single disc. It's really neat. I'll see if I can find it tonight. I have the copy on my computer, but it is in the forum to be downloaded.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #2651
shiro

Garage
Update 4:

Quote:

That was one thing I was thinking of doing. However, since my dealership already knows my car is boosted they would probably catch on lol.

Well, got an update on the situation. My car was dropped off at Toyota today and it is confirmed that the engine will need to be replaced. Basically, the dealership said they are hands off on the car and will not touch it. The service manager said I basically have no warranty on the car anymore even if it was a fault in Toyota's parts. He wouldn't even verify if the ECU had a hardware malfunction because it would put Toyota's scanning equipment at risk (the tuning [ECUtek] software could potentially damage their several thousand dollar scanner). Then they asked me in the nicest way possible to come pick up my car. Basically, they don't want an expensively nice looking paperweight in their parking lot. Lol

I've escalated this with Toyota and have a case number. This is going to be a long battle/project but luckily winter is coming so bring it!

I'll try to keep everyone posted on what goes down with Toyota.

Last edited by shiro; 10-16-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added Marker: Update 4
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #2652
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
You can by this ecu for 50 bucks see if the ecutek will read it then bring it back to the dealer. Airbags did deploy but should be fine. Otherwise there are others for about 450.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FR-S-2...-/281140020830

Good luck!

Sent from a Motorola DynaTAC 8000X now Free
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #2653
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I have one (over 5000 pages), I'll try to find a way to upload and share a link. No idea what the best way is, so I'll just try a free online service.

Try this (At your own risk, never done this before):
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...fee5fef718d06d
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Nothing (10-17-2013), shiro (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #2654
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:

Its a sticky in the Mechanical tools section.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35471

You welcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Nothing (10-17-2013), shiro (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #2655
shiro

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
You can by this ecu for 50 bucks see if the ecutek will read it then bring it back to the dealer. Airbags did deploy but should be fine. Otherwise there are others for about 450.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FR-S-2...-/281140020830

Good luck!

Sent from a Motorola DynaTAC 8000X now Free

Thanks! That’s a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
I have one (over 5000 pages), I'll try to find a way to upload and share a link. No idea what the best way is, so I'll just try a free online service.

Try this (At your own risk, never done this before):
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gb05f7034788bc215999392139a1fee5fef718d 06d

Right on. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Its a sticky in the Mechanical tools section.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35471

You welcome [IMG]file://localhost/Users/Shiro/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip_image002.png[/IMG]

Sweet! This is pretty badass. Thanks for doing that.

Everyone,

Thanks again for all the help. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on any updates from Toyota and the engine rebuild is going to take a couple months but I’ll be sure to take a lot of pictures. This will be my biggest project yet. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to shiro For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #2656
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm late to the party.. but I will be dropping my car off at the local Suby dealer soon.

I noticed over the past few weeks that my idle has been erratic.. but only with the a/c on (defrost). Then this week it's changed and I notice the rough idle with the a/c off as well. Time to take it in..

I made it to about 8500 miles before any major issues. I've had a couple hard starts.. maybe once every couple months.. but I figured that was just a bit of bad gas or something.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #2657
shiro

Garage
Update 5:
16 Oct 2013

Finally had a chance to talk with my regional Scion Rep. They did sound understanding of the issue and took down detailed notes of the modifications and results of the ECU/Engine failure. However, they'd be interested to know more but probably won't cover anything. The next step is my rep wants me to find an authorized Scion Dealer that would be willing to do a diagnostics check of the ECU to see what happened and confirm that the ECU was faulty.

The unfortunate side is that my dealership turned me down and won't touch the vehicle. They recommended other dealerships that might plug their systems in but they wont. I think it might be hard to find a dealership that would be willing to plug their systems into my flashed ECU. Most of them think the ECUtek firmware is going to destroy or short circuit their systems.

My next step is moving my paperweight from my dealership and finding one that will read my ECU. Once I complete this step I might be able to get my ECU replace at a minimum but I will probably have to do the engine work myself. I can work with them if they work with me.

I'll keep you all posted.

Update 6:
17 Oct 2013

I've been able to talk with all my local authorized Scion dealerships and none of them are willing to run a diagnostics on the car (since corporate is making it optional). But after talking to a very knowledgeable dealership that has replaced an engine with similar mechanical issues this is what I found out.

Scenario 1: ECU failed and caused the catastrophic engine failure (I had issues accessing my ECU during time of failure)

Scenario 2: The variable camshaft timing (vct) solenoid and/or camshaft sensor failed causing bent/broke rod (suggested by mechanic at Toyota that seen this issue)

Scenario 3: Debris was in the oil pan, blocked a filter and starved a cylinder of oil (less likely IMO but will find out when engine is torn apart - suggested by mechanic at toyota)

Scenario 4: Fuel management tune or Greddy Turbo caused failure (also less likely since data logs show no issues on tune and engine reponse)

Overall, the next step is to pull the engine out and have it looked at. I will let you all know if any other change of event occur with Toyota Corporate.

Last edited by shiro; 10-23-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added Update 6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiro For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (11-25-2013), Sportsguy83 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #2658
FR-S Trev

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S TRD Mods
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
FR-S TREV, FRS, 45,000 kms, in shop since July 23rd 2013!!!!, Canada

Crusing at HWY speeds toward the mountains, and kaput!! CEL came on, SL lights came on, Cruise control lights turned orange, etc...... Car started bucking and sputtering. But the engine was running the whole time. Took in to local Toyota for answers. They changed the High Pressure fuel pump, as this was the code they were getting. Drove away from shop 3 blocks when it happened again. Returned to Toyota to drop it off and haven't driven it since.

The shop foreman took it for a rip to get some data for Toyota and in the process the engine finally let go. One of the Catalytic converters let go a perfect circle out the middle into the other one and blew it through my exhaust. All the pistons and cams are scored and there is so much carbon build up in the engine I can't believe it.

Last week the last of the back ordered parts arrived to start building me a new engine (or so I thought). Got a call again yesterday saying I was still waiting for 7 rocker arms to arrive. So here I sit with a rental car (which my dealer is taking care of I might add ) And it looks like I'll get it back just in time to park it for the winter. Bhaaaa Frustrating summer indeed. All I wanted to do was drive my car :P

SO my ordeal has lasted about 3 months now and I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. Lets just hope the shop can build and FA-20 better than the factory ?????

Last edited by FR-S Trev; 10-18-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Additional info
FR-S Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Trev For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (11-25-2013), Marrk (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #2659
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Trev View Post
FR-S TREV, FRS, 45,000 kms, in shop since July 23rd 2013!!!!, Canada

Crusing at HWY speeds toward the mountains, and kaput!! CEL came on, SL lights came on, Cruise control lights turned orange, etc...... Car started bucking and sputtering. But the engine was running the whole time. Took in to local Toyota for answers. They changed the High Pressure fuel pump, as this was the code they were getting. Drove away from shop 3 blocks when it happened again. Returned to Toyota to drop it off and haven't driven it since.

The shop foreman took it for a rip to get some data for Toyota and in the process the engine finally let go. One of the Catalytic converters let go a perfect circle out the middle into the other one and blew it through my exhaust. All the pistons and cams are scored and there is so much carbon build up in the engine I can't believe it.

Lest week the last of the back ordered parts arrived to start building me a new engine (or so I thought). Got a call again yesterday saying I was still waiting for 7 rocker arms to arrive. So here I sit with a rental car (which my dealer is taking care of I might add ) And it looks like I'll get it back just in time to park it for the winter. Bhaaaa Frustrating summer indeed. All I wanted to do was drive my car :P

SO my ordeal has lasted about 3 months now and I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. Lets just hope the shop can build and FA-20 better than the factory ?????

Pretty appalling.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #2660
FR-S Trev

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S TRD Mods
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That's what I thought too. Corporate is the reasons for most of the hold ups I am told. The dealer needs approvals from Toyota Canada for everything. My dealer actually has been very accommodating over all through out this whole process. I have been updated weekly by my service guy, the service manager and Operations manager have all kept me in the know of what's going on.

I have even managed to submit all costs concurred during this time to my ECP and am trying to get some payments back for lost enjoyment And the dealer has agreed to fix a few scratches and a bad one under the front right corner where I curbed it. All at no charge to me.

I realize it's the least they can do, but it still feels nice to get treated like a person not just a customer. Not sure what the rules for posting dealer names on this forum but if I'm allowed too, let me know. I would like to give props to my friends at the dealership who have made this a less painful experience than I have been reading others have had on these forums.
FR-S Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Trev For This Useful Post:
Marrk (10-18-2013)