follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #57
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areddi View Post
No worries, all autocross talk here is good!

So at the last CDC event I drove Leon's car which has similar suspension mods to mine, but he has the Koni inserts. He is on V12's so I definitely noticed a grip difference vs my ZII's, but front the perspective of the suspension bounce-back, the Koni's felt really nice.

I wonder if I need to go to a full coil-over. I don't really need much in the way of adjust-ability if I can find a setup I like, and also I don't really think I need to change the stock spring since the rate biasing is pretty good, maybe just the insets would do for me. Thoughts?
I don't know Leon, but the Konis make the car more forgiving (mostly on higher speed courses) IF you have them dialed-in right. On the smaller courses like CDC, BMW, some AI, I don't think there is a significant difference from stock shocks. One major thing your class allows are camber plates/adjustment opportunities. I would absolutely do everything possible to max out the negative camber.

I like the balance of the car in stock, but I would check out some of the STX setup threads in the track section or talk to Chad. I don't think you "need" a coilover setup, but I would at least bring the car down ~1-2 in, max negative camber with plates, more power/tune out the torque dip, tinker with the alignment, and lighter rims/wider tires. We'll chat at one of the next few events.

As you know, I'm very limited in what I can do in my class. I decided to stick with this car for one more year... so the only things I'm adding next season are a 19 or 20mm adjustable front sway, front brake pads, and lighter rims with whatever tire I think might be best.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #58
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

So at the last CDC event I drove Leon's car which has similar suspension mods to mine, but he has the Koni inserts. He is on V12's so I definitely noticed a grip difference vs my ZII's, but front the perspective of the suspension bounce-back, the Koni's felt really nice.

I wonder if I need to go to a full coil-over. I don't really need much in the way of adjust-ability if I can find a setup I like, and also I don't really think I need to change the stock spring since the rate biasing is pretty good, maybe just the insets would do for me. Thoughts?
Go Full Coil Overs, if you want to drive my car next event let me know. I will be there.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #59
Biggins

Any vids from Sunday? I'm just curious to see how much you were on the limiter into the finish. I lost TONS of time going into the finish because I didn't want to shift to third and just left it in second. It definitely was not an FRS course (unless you're in the crazy-modded powerful STX ones). I guess there's only two more weekends left before getting ready for next year.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #60
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've got it but haven't edited it yet, will get it up tonight. I was on the limiter in second going across the finish, but definitely would not have been worth it to shift.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #61
ja1217

Drives: 2004 Toyota RAV-4 5M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

If you come to the CDC Test & Tune next Sunday I can probably let you drive my car and you can get a taste of the Ohlins. Then you can buy them and be broke like me.
ja1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ja1217 For This Useful Post:
Areddi (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
Areddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1217 View Post
If you come to the CDC Test & Tune next Sunday I can probably let you drive my car and you can get a taste of the Ohlins. Then you can buy them and be broke like me.
I would love to try your car so I can salivate over the Ohlins but I'll be at AI on Sunday.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #63
Areddi

Here is the video from Sunday. I absolutely loved this course even though the uphill slalom and the finish did not favor the Twins. I ran a great time, but got wooped by a very competitive field of national champion drivers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobT17Ggpk4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6780ugqgKbKwKs7vFqzwyQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobT17Ggpk4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6780ugqgKbKwKs7vFqzwyQ[/ame]
leon78 (10-09-2013), Nathan Atkins (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #64
Biggins

Great driving! It was crazy how many good cars and drivers ran STX. I think your 225s vs my 215s might explain why I was on the limiter for so much longer. Maybe I should have shifted to third after all.
It was a fun season, so I guess I should get my own camera year. Are you doing AI and Cumberland the next couple weekends?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #65
Nathan Atkins

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Mazda RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was on the limiter for about 1-2 seconds, it made for an exciting finish, my buddy Phil was codriving and he shifted to third each time, but it don't think there was speed to be gained there. Great driving Alex, your used Z2s had the better of my new Rivals on that day, there's always next time
Nathan Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #66
Areddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Are you doing AI and Cumberland the next couple weekends?
Yep I'll be at AI this Sunday.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #67
Biggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Atkins View Post
I was on the limiter for about 1-2 seconds, it made for an exciting finish, my buddy Phil was codriving and he shifted to third each time, but it don't think there was speed to be gained there. Great driving Alex, your used Z2s had the better of my new Rivals on that day, there's always next time
Were you in an FRS/BRZ or RX8? I don't think I've met you, but I know Phil from running against his Cobalt one season. What size Rivals are you running if you're in an FRS/BRZ?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #68
Nathan Atkins

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Mazda RX-8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Were you in an FRS/BRZ or RX8? I don't think I've met you, but I know Phil from running against his Cobalt one season. What size Rivals are you running if you're in an FRS/BRZ?
We may have met at one of the CDC evnts or AI im not sure, I usually have the RX8 but i was in the BRZ that day. The Rivals are factory size 215/45/17 that being said, theyre about an inch wider than the stock michelins.

I seriously overestimated how they were going to be, i was expecting them to be as good as the jump from all seasons to star specs was on my car but i was a bit disappointed. Granted they still were covered in mold release lube, they only had about 40 miles on them. Their grip improved as the morning went on. but i think i need to get a little more comfortable driving that car on the limit. Sure would be nice if i could drive it everyday. I feel like the car had at least a 69 or maybe quicker if i could've strung together a decent lap.

a little disappointed in myself, but those higher speed courses really show my weaknesses as a driver.
Nathan Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #69
Biggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Atkins View Post
We may have met at one of the CDC evnts or AI im not sure, I usually have the RX8 but i was in the BRZ that day. The Rivals are factory size 215/45/17 that being said, theyre about an inch wider than the stock michelins.

I seriously overestimated how they were going to be, i was expecting them to be as good as the jump from all seasons to star specs was on my car but i was a bit disappointed. Granted they still were covered in mold release lube, they only had about 40 miles on them. Their grip improved as the morning went on. but i think i need to get a little more comfortable driving that car on the limit. Sure would be nice if i could drive it everyday. I feel like the car had at least a 69 or maybe quicker if i could've strung together a decent lap.

a little disappointed in myself, but those higher speed courses really show my weaknesses as a driver.
I'm not the most social person at events and tend to hang out with friends when I'm there. I have had a nice friendly "rivalry" with Fred all season; we're always neck-and-neck though he's edged me out at most events. I did my first CDC event earlier in the year, but I prefer the higher speed courses.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It was not a great course for our untuned/unmodded cars but still fun. That makes sense with our 215s (your Rivals and my ZIIs) that we were on the limiter so much more than Alex appears to be in his video with his gearing from 225s. I know Shane ran mid 68s in a "stock" class BRZ, so that is where I aim to be. I should have been at least high 68s but made mistakes + limiter, oh well. Try again this weekend.

I have only ridden in cars that have Rivals, but I was not fully sold on them. I like but don't love the ZIIs, so I'm going to save money to test a couple different tires next year: Yokos, Toyos, Kumhos, who knows. I'll be at Bowie Saturday and Waldorf Sunday this weekend which might be my last two events of the season. See you all there!
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
Nathan Atkins (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #70
Areddi

A lot of people love the Rivals, and a lot hate them. I have not found anyone who "hates" the ZII's, it is always either okay or great in their minds. I'll need a fresh set of something for next year, and I am not sure what to go with yet. I like that the Rivals are not directional, but I have been very happy with the ZII's.

Caitlin told me that people at Nats had trouble on concrete with the Rivals, which is not a surface I run on often, but still something to think about. Also, Rivals are apparently useless in the rain/cold compared to the ZII's which are better in both.