follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #71
$uperRich

Drives: 2013 FR-S WhiteOut
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is what i'm currently using. Doesn't block my view and doesn't require me to take my eyes off the road when driving. Sticks to the windshield on one end and sticks to my phone on the other (doesn't make my phone sticky, not sure what sticky material it's made of).

Only issue I have with it is that it's too far to plug in to charge my phone and doesn't fit anywhere else w/o blocking anything. Other than that, I like it.
Attached Images

$uperRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #72
93cc

Drives: 2017 GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I bought the Mountek nGroove and installed it today... So far I have to say I like it...
Attached Images

93cc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 93cc For This Useful Post:
SmartedPanda (03-26-2016), tennisfreak (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #73
Alfalasy
2013 BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Asphalt_FRS View Post
I really want a phone holder that goes in the little spot behind the shifter so I can use it for the navigation. Has anyone seen anything like that?
I don't recommed this location it will obstruct you when you change gears, unless the phone is sitting flat and fixed horizontally, still not ideal.
Alfalasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #74
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Drives: 2019 Impreza Sport - MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Disk slot holder style that I really like. It works in the BRZ nicely because the face of the head unit is flat and level.

This is the one I use, it's very secure, not bouncy and relatively inexpensive.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Universal-Smartphone-Magellan-Navigation/dp/B011R4FGSS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _detailpage_o07_s00"]Amazon.com: [Upgraded] Kootek® Universal Smartphone CD Slot Car Mount Phone Holder Cradle for iPhone Samsung Galaxy Sony Xperia HTC One Nokia Lumia 1020 930 920, Garmin, Magellan GPS Navigation: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

I have one in my Miata, I've been using it for years with no issues. They say this one is an "updated" version but I'm honestly not sure what the difference is. It comes with 3 pads of varying thickness, you use one of them to set the internal clamping force. The thinnest one works in the BRZ

I don't use it all the time only when I need to use the navigation on my phone which a Galaxy S5. The jaws seem to open pretty wide and I imagine it will work for a wide range of phones. The manual says

"
  • Safely and securely mount your 3.5"- 6.0" smartphones with stretchable holder."
Attached Images

2019 Impreza 5 Dr - MT, 2013 OBW - Premium, 2001 Forester S, 1999 Miata MT
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peaty For This Useful Post:
Traffic (06-04-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:01 AM   #75
apelpapa

Drives: 2013 SPD Black FR-S
I personaly love this magnet holder.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SMART-Magnetic-Holder-Installs-Surface/dp/B00Q8XGLA6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1459061990&sr=8-7&keywords=magnet+phone+holder"]Amazon.com: SMART & EASY® Magnetic Cell Phone Holder| Cell Phone Car Mount| Car Mount Phone Holder| Installs on Any Flat Surface: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]
They have different ones, make sure to get the one with the thin plate that glues to the phone and keeps the magnet on the ball. I put it right in that little spot behind the shifter.
I kept the thin plate high up on the phone so it goes more into the center console and out of the way of my arm. I have one of these in both my brothers, my girlfriends, my both my parents, and my work trucks. I love these things!
apelpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #76
Binary_fission

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Really you ganna look down while driving? You want your navi as close to the windshield as possible. It already bad as it is to take your eyes off the road but now you making it even more dangerous. But if u give 0 ...... Then any phone holder can be placed in that spot just need to take that panel off and drill a small hall for the holder, nut and washers to hold it in place gl hf

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Binary_fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #77
apelpapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary_fission View Post
Really you ganna look down while driving? You want your navi as close to the windshield as possible. It already bad as it is to take your eyes off the road but now you making it even more dangerous. But if u give 0 ...... Then any phone holder can be placed in that spot just need to take that panel off and drill a small hall for the holder, nut and washers to hold it in place gl hf

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
I just listen the the NAVI, I don't look at it.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #78
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Drives: 2019 Impreza Sport - MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My phones have the wireless QI type charging. I'm guessing the disk you put on the phone back would interfere with the charger. Anyone know for sure?

2019 Impreza 5 Dr - MT, 2013 OBW - Premium, 2001 Forester S, 1999 Miata MT
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #79
apelpapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
My phones have the wireless QI type charging. I'm guessing the disk you put on the phone back would interfere with the charger. Anyone know for sure?
It does interfere. Some put the disk on their case and remove for charging, but that seems annoying. I don't like QI charging since I can't hold the phone while charging, so it wasn't an issue for me. But if you enjoy QI charging, this probably isn't for you
Old 04-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #80
Prmspen
Student Driver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I went for the Scosche Magic Mount. Fifteen bucks on Amazon, and super-easy to install. I've got mine immediately to the right of the head unit, which suits me fine.
Prmspen is offline   Reply With Quote