follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else coming from high power FWD having trouble readjusting to RWD?

I have been driving FWD for a couple of decades now, specifically a Mazdaspeed3 for the last 6 years. I forgot how different it is driving a RWD vehicle. The FWD pulls you through turns, so it requires a completely different driving style that to be honest I think works better on the street where it isn't always safe to deliberately throw the rear end out like you can with a RWD.
Anyone else have trouble readjusting at first or am I just too freaking old?
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Finding an empty lot to slide around in, or a skidpad/drift clinic might be very helpful for you to get used to catching the rear.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
I have been driving FWD for a couple of decades now, specifically a Mazdaspeed3 for the last 6 years. I forgot how different it is driving a RWD vehicle. The FWD pulls you through turns, so it requires a completely different driving style that to be honest I think works better on the street where it isn't always safe to deliberately throw the rear end out like you can with a RWD.
Anyone else have trouble readjusting at first or am I just too freaking old?
Yup...came from a genwon speed3 myself....whole diff driving experience going from high HP FWD to no HP RWD...took me a bit to learn how to get the most out of the car....FWD is so much more forgiving…but this car has made me a better driver 10 fold.
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
sohcanddohc

Drives: 18 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I still mix it up a bit. Stage 2 with Diablo tune SRT4 has been my fun car for the past 6-7 years. I mixed it up with a redline sky for a while. But now I am very happy with the FR-s. Drive it hard and find the limits then adjust where needed. Having to keep the rpm's up took me a little to get used to.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What problem/symptom exactly are you having a hard time adjusting to?

I've been in and out of FWD for years and I have the opposite tendency which is to toss a FWD car aggressively into the turn because I always knew it wouldn't straighten/push as power was applied. I would think a FWD driver would be too aggressive initially in an attempt to rotate the car which in an FRS/BRZ would have you chasing the tail
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (10-09-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I wouldn't call a mazda speed3 a high hp fwd car. That is all I have to add
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plucas For This Useful Post:
mrk1 (10-08-2013), powerj2 (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,381 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon78 View Post
FWD is so much more forgiving
That would depend on the car. My previous car was fwd and exhibited creamy smooth lift off over steer which made line correction a doddle in the dry but in the wet I had to be very careful about lifting off the throttle (how ever slowly) going around bends other wise a spin was likely. While I think some one with more skill (and bigger balls) could have made it dance in the rain that some one wasn't me.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
I've taken both my GTI and FR-S to the track this year and haven't found it too difficult to switch between them. As everyone mentioned, you just have to be ready to countersteer with the FR-S under power.

On a side-note, I've found an odd, off-camber downhill corner where the GTI will oversteer under neutral-throttle whereas the FR-S will remain planted. Did not expect that. I suspect the GTI is so nose-heavy that it unloads the rear wheels on downhill corners.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
What problem/symptom exactly are you having a hard time adjusting to?

I've been in and out of FWD for years and I have the opposite tendency which is to toss a FWD car aggressively into the turn because I always knew it wouldn't straighten/push as power was applied. I would think a FWD driver would be too aggressive initially in an attempt to rotate the car which in an FRS/BRZ would have you chasing the tail
It is pretty obvious that my car needs a major driver modification.
Maybe I should look into autocrossing. If I knock down a few cones learning how to get the tail out in a controlled manner it isn't going to hurt anything.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
It is pretty obvious that my car needs a major driver modification.
Maybe I should look into autocrossing. If I knock down a few cones learning how to get the tail out in a controlled manner it isn't going to hurt anything.
We can all use a driver modification

If had any advice to give in making the adjustment to the FRS/BRZ platform would be to rely less on accelerating through the turn. Instead take advantage of the car's incredible turn in and carry more speed (momentum) through your turn. Squeeze the throttle slower as pass your apex.

I mostly race AWD so I'm used to hammering the throttle way before the apex so hopping into this car resulted in excessive power on oversteer due to my driving style. Once I adapted it was more about controlling a momentum drift and that is when the "magic" of racing this car comes to light.

We can tune out much of the on throttle oversteerwith our custom valved suspension so when you're ready give us a call. After all the sooner you can get on the throttle the faster your lap will be

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
I'm a little sensitive to folks that refer to FWD cars that are "forgiving". That is a reference to a FWD street car. Just as RWD street car is also forgiving.

A properly setup FWD race car, is one of the least forgiving, hateful and frightening things to drive at the limit. It has to be because if it's not, it's not fast.

With that being said...

A significant difference is how you control the rear when it steps out.

A FWD driver in a RWD car will tend to push on the throttle to save a slide (making it worse). A RWD driver in a FWD car will tend to lift off the throttle to save a slide (making it worse).
Captain Snooze (10-08-2013), Dave-ROR (10-09-2013), juliog (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucas View Post
I wouldn't call a mazda speed3 a high hp fwd car. That is all I have to add
FailWheelDrive plus this torque on street tires.

Sent from my yotaru. now Free
Attached Images

GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Having grown up with RWD I hated FWD (wife's car) with a passion. I found that the only thing it did was plough forward and into the ditch when there was any snow on the roads. I always had to use the ebrake to bring the back end around so I could point it in the right direction. I know some people swear by FWD, I just sweared at it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Sorting out this car a little will help too.

I was having trouble adjusting to my BRZ after coming from a Impreza (non turbo) and how it reacted to mid-corner power delivery. I learned a LOT from my first Auto-x the weekend before last. Having traction control off and driving to the limit and past it really teaches you a lot...

But it also turns out a lot of it can be helped with some small mods, like front camber bolts with more negative camber applied, front swaybar, and of course better tires. I learned a lot of that from fellow FRZ drivers who had already sorted out their cars and were running competitive times (and from info here as well).

Now I'm quite confident driving this car in pretty much any situation already. I'm actually excited to maybe do a track day sometime in the future and see what I can do with more progressively longer high-speed corners!
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote