follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: What to do with $6,700?
Get another Hot Lava 19 13.87%
Get a 10 series 23 16.79%
Get a beater and pay off debt 95 69.34%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #43
448hpsti
In Test:Oil Fed SC

Drives: Vortech Prototype Test Car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Track build and track time money
448hpsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #44
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS86edition#3 View Post
I certainly can't imagine getting in and out of a small, low sports car when I'm 50+....
Well.. I'm 60 and get in and out just fine thank you..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
n2oinferno (09-29-2013), P@ul (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #45
Morg

Drives: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST Green Envy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Having been through the whole debt scenario.... I am surprised you are not seeing the blessing in this situation !

You are being thrown a bone, take advantage of it.. Get out of debt. Then get the better car when it's released and you're debt free... And laugh it up at how great of a decision it was.

A little bit of patience will pay off in the long run and you'll be glad. And ultimately, be driving a better car debt free.

Plus if you are good about your loan payments, maybe you'll be able to swing better rates when you do purchase your car.
Black 2010 Camaro 2SS~RS m6 (Sold)
Black 2009 Honda Ruckus (Sold)
Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morg For This Useful Post:
IntotheOcean (09-30-2013), Ozzman (09-30-2013), strat61caster (09-30-2013), suaveflooder (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #46
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithspawn View Post
Quite the contrary, I absolutely love the FR-S. It's just that the issues I've experienced (failed engine and Toyota's inability to properly repair it) have put a sour taste in my mouth. Add the crickets and myriad other minor issues and it is quite depressing, in fact. The handling is outstanding, the looks are amazing and it is an absolute pleasure to drive. The aftermarket support for this platform is also incredible so there is a lot that can be done to take this car to even higher levels of performance.
Do you mind giving some details on the engine failure? I know you had logged some detonation on the stock tune, but thought that had been resolved. Thx.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #47
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
3. Not only is it the smartest but also the most convenient to be happiest in the end as well. There are some fairly nice cars out there for $6700. My brothers (and my old) RSX comes to mind for about that price and man that thing is just as sick today as it was when we got it a year old in 2007.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #48
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think it depends on how bothered you are by your debt. Does your debt make you feel uncomfortable? Is that feeling sustainable? Do you have plans to buy a house? Are you firmly set on a career path that will get you out of debt without making you miserable? An inexpensive car doesn't need to be a beater. I've had a 1971 Celica ST coupe, '74 Celica GT coupe, a 77' ST coupe, a '77 GT liftback, a '70 Fiat 124 Sport Spider and a '92 MR2. All of them were bone stock and clean, with no rust, and the most expensive of the bunch was WELL within the budget you're talking about. Maintenance and performance upgrades were cheap and fun. They were all smile machines on a budget. Lots of little up-and-coming classics out there to make life interesting until you snag another FR-S. :-)
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #49
FRS86edition#3

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Well.. I'm 60 and get in and out just fine thank you..
I meant no offense to the 50+ crowd. I just know that my father was throwing a fit about getting in and out of it recently. LOL.
FRS86edition#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #50
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR View Post
I'm hoping that $6700 is your cash in hand, after the lien/loan is taken care of, otherwise if I had the dealer offer me only $6700 total for a still financed car still under drivetrain warranty i would be FURIOUS. They just want to get rid of you, I would hold their feet to the fire and force them to hand you a functioning FR-S, either with a check for the replacement cost, or replacing every damn part on the car.

have you gone up the chain with scion/toyota on this? I would start calling numbers and complaining to everyone until I found someone that would hand me another car.
Yes, that is cash in hand after Toyota pays off the loan. Just so you know, this is way above dealer level at this point and I am dealing directly with Toyota on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS86edition#3 View Post
YOU ARE IN THE DRIVERS SEAT!!I recently gave a subpar survey on my local dealership on the "pushy sales tactics" question and received a call from the Chicago regional manager literally 20 minutes later. Scion re-invented its name by releasing the FR-S. This forum has more weight than many think. If you have a shitty experience with Scion NOT giving into your demands on a defective car, what does that do for their customer service reputation? Literally, its completely up to what makes you the happiest. Personally, I love my FR-S and wouldn't trade it for anything aside from a car worth substantially more than mine. If they won't work with you, I would threaten to take the $6700 and put it down on a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger(even if you don't want any of these). I work in sales and lying is pretty standard in our business. Beat them up for as much as you can possibly get away with. Tell them you want a stock FR-S (lava) for substantially under sticker price. If they tell you its a "set price" or some bullshit, tell them to pound sand and walk out. If they don't call you as soon as you leave and adhere to your demands, then you know they didn't want your business anyway. However, I am fairly certain after a circumstance such as yours, that they will likely do (within moderate discretion) anything you want. Whether that be a Lava stock FR-S way under sticker or a series 10 for cheap. I was in a similar situation before I bought my FR-S. I was close to having my school loan debt and other debt paid off. That is the "responsible" route, but what is fun about that? Have fun while your young enough to enjoy the FR-S. I certainly can't imagine getting in and out of a small, low sports car when I'm 50+....
Unless they can get me a Hot Lava with the HID headlights, push button start, Bespoke sound system, and automatic climate control for less than $400/month, I'm going with the beater option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Do you mind giving some details on the engine failure? I know you had logged some detonation on the stock tune, but thought that had been resolved. Thx.
Meh, it's a long story that I typed up and accidentally hit the back button so I lost it all. I don't really feel like typing it up again, but the short version is this: rod knock->short block replaced->more knocking sounds->another short block, cams, cam towers, and other miscellaneous engine parts->still makes knocking sound->still at the dealer and they can't figure it out 3 months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
I think it depends on how bothered you are by your debt. Does your debt make you feel uncomfortable? Is that feeling sustainable? Do you have plans to buy a house? Are you firmly set on a career path that will get you out of debt without making you miserable? An inexpensive car doesn't need to be a beater. I've had a 1971 Celica ST coupe, '74 Celica GT coupe, a 77' ST coupe, a '77 GT liftback, a '70 Fiat 124 Sport Spider and a '92 MR2. All of them were bone stock and clean, with no rust, and the most expensive of the bunch was WELL within the budget you're talking about. Maintenance and performance upgrades were cheap and fun. They were all smile machines on a budget. Lots of little up-and-coming classics out there to make life interesting until you snag another FR-S. :-)
I'm not terribly bothered by the debt that I have. I own a home, so I'm covered there. My job is decent and I make OK money. I'm way overdue for a raise though and hopefully that'll be coming up in November or so. I recently got promoted, but no raise.

The whole reason I decided to get a new car was I've had my share of used, inexpensive sports cars that turned out to be money pits: an '88 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo with an unrepairable fuel leak and an '03 Subaru WRX Wagon that sheared 2nd gear. Basically, when it comes to cars you have three things: fast, cheap, reliable: pick two. I would go for the cheap and reliable for a beater. Like $2,300 for a '96 Geo Metro in excellent condition.
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #51
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Option 3
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #52
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
that 8k should of been paid off along time ago... pay that off
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #53
Simpleviet
Right Foot Flat

Drives: Asphalt Lucille
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
As much as the car is fun to drive. I suggest paying the debt off. If you don't have credit score already I say get it that way you can lower the payments when you do get your next car.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #54
ohnoimcaught

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
They told us at a Scion Dealer event the car will come out in a yellow next year for a release series, so...just wait for that. Pay off that debt! Absolutely smartest decision you could make.
ohnoimcaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #55
EK_Golfer

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S AT
3. You'll be glad you did
EK_Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #56
Wyllliam

Drives: Toyota GT86
Garage
I think there is an option 4.
Get them to fix it!
Also if they can't and the car is still under warranty they have to replace it.
Wyllliam is offline   Reply With Quote