follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #281
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
I'd rather see this...

Looks like it says S2000 on the side, but that looks like a modern Honda Beat to me!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #282
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
Ford has 2 hot hatches (both 4 doors), Honda has 0, Chevy has 0, Toyota has 0, Dodge has 0, Subaru has 0 (that are FWD), Mazda has 1 (also 4 door and a boat), Fiat has 1, VW has 1.
2 door, 4 door, whatever. Honda has the Civic Si, which you might not call a hot hatch but its K24 is about as racy as the turbo engine in a Ford, which is not racecar at all. Toyota does make the Corolla XRS, and the 2AR can easily make as much power as the K24. The Dart also comes with a 2.4.

Even without those 3, counting the ones on your list there are 5. How many RWD 4 cylinder sports cars are there? Twins, Miata, oh wait, that's it.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #283
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm not saying there is a ton of RWD 4 cyl sports cars out there. I'm just saying that there aren't a ton of actual hot hatches either.

The Corolla XRS isn't a hot hatch, or on par with any Type R that Honda ever released. It's a corolla with a bigger motor..and actually hasn't been in production for a while. In my mind a hot hatch is not only something with a racy motor, but also has suspension work, ideally some chassis work and is far above the standard offering. The Type R's being the ideal example.

Really...you went to the Dart? Should we just start listing any FWD car with a 4 cyl at this point?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #284
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'd just hope that they retain the back seat for North America. Don't care how small it is, the cubby holes look stupid and ROW gets it.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #285
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
A lot of this in that new S2K rendering:

Old 09-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #286
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Killing the stick!? What the hell. That was the only good point to the IMA system anymore. The CRZ was never about numbers, even the MPG was and still is intentionally understated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
FWD = just another hot hatch.

The first mfg to get this through their heads and bring an affordable 200hp lightweight RWD sports car to the market will change the industry.
I don't know if you would call it a hothatch but BMW still sells their RWD 1 series HB in Europe. It competes directly against the Golf GTI. And it is available with the 135i engine. BMW figured out that RWD wasn't selling the car so they are switching to FWD. It's a great shame that they gave up on selling it here after the first generation.

Then you have Mazda and Ford who tune their FWD cars to behave like RWD. The Focus and Mazda3 for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 448hpsti View Post
Drove worse than a prius
Handling or power wise? Because the CRZ is better in both areas.

Quote:
I did like the original look of the front of the CRZ, the rear didn't look so great though. Honda seems to really be behind the curve now. A CRZ with an Si motor should have been an option from launch, not some afterthought now that they realize the BRZ is really exciting the market.
At least it looks better than a Civic. The CRZ with the Mugen body parts($$$$) looks noticeably better. But the stock body is so plain that Mugen stuff looks "ricey."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
Superhatch (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #287
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm not saying there is a ton of RWD 4 cyl sports cars out there. I'm just saying that there aren't a ton of actual hot hatches either.

The Corolla XRS isn't a hot hatch, or on par with any Type R that Honda ever released. It's a corolla with a bigger motor..and actually hasn't been in production for a while. In my mind a hot hatch is not only something with a racy motor, but also has suspension work, ideally some chassis work and is far above the standard offering. The Type R's being the ideal example.

Really...you went to the Dart? Should we just start listing any FWD car with a 4 cyl at this point?
I went to the Dart because like the Civic Si and the XRS, they stuck a 2.4L almost 200hp motor in there, that makes it just as fast as a BRZ. The XRS has been made, they just use a 2AR instead of a 2ZZ. Throw stiff suspension on these cars and they're basically the same.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #288
448hpsti
In Test:Oil Fed SC

Drives: Vortech Prototype Test Car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
It handled fine , almost bordering on nice, but the power was just not enough for me or the wife at any given time
448hpsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #289
Taro
You call him Dr. Jones!

Drives: 2013 Twin Mish-Mash
Thanked 1,030 Times in 439 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
If they just brought back the CR-X, I'd be totally cool with that. I was really into the CR-X (along with the Supra) growing up as a kid. Probably a lot of Gran Turismo influenced that. The CR-Z was one of the most disappointing car launches in my lifetime.
Taro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #290
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I find it odd that I get more info about future Hondas on the FT86 Forums than I do on the actual Honda forums. Can't explain that!

I like it. I like that Honda has got the message but instead of revamping the CRZ I like the idea of the low hp, rwd roadster better.
I have a soft spot for Honda, what can I say? Still hoping Honda comes out with a legitimate FR-S/BRZ competitor.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #291
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Then you have Mazda and Ford who tune their FWD cars to behave like RWD. The Focus and Mazda3 for example.
A properly setup FWD car is absolute hoot to drive at the limit. It's just so rare to come across one because it's not the ideal (aka: safe) setup for a street car but I like how Mazda/Ford are moving in that direction, at least somewhat.
Allch Chcar (09-19-2013)