follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
PITTFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My sound system setup

Hello,

I have been doing some reading about the audio options for our cars as I am not happy with the stock audio like many of you. I actually like the stock pioneer head unit so I will be keeping that. For the speakers:

Front - alpine spr60c components. Deleting the 3.5 inch speaker in dash and just using tweeter. I will powr this with my alpine mrp-f250 amp bridged for 100 watts @ 4 ohms. This will work well as these speakers are rated for 110 watts.

Rear- Rewire stock 2 channel amp in trunk for use on the rear speakers. I think this will be a better idea than running another amp as this amp is rated at 140 watts peak so I'm guessing 70 per channel rms or lower. I will be replacing these speakers with alpine sps-400 4 inch coaxial speakers.

Trunk/subwoofer- I will be ordering a custom single sub enclosure box for an alpine sws-10d2 subwoofer powered by an alpine mrp-m450 amp.

I will be starting on this project as soon as my broken arm is healed which should be in a couple of weeks. I have not heard of anyone trying to reuse the stock 2 channel amp for the rear speakers. What are your thoughts on this? I think it will work quite well and put it to good use.

I'm going with all alpine because I've always had good experiences with them and I have a lot of the components from alpine already including the amps.

Feedback appreciated!
PITTFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
PITTFRS

Somebody has to have some feedback on using the stock 2 channel amp that is in the trunk for the two rear speakers. Anyone?!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTFRS View Post
Somebody has to have some feedback on using the stock 2 channel amp that is in the trunk for the two rear speakers. Anyone?!

How are you going to cross everything over? If you want to use them (rears), get a bigger multi channel amp and then go active? Or just power them off the stock head unit? The stock 2 channel amp is crap IMHO. Especially for the rears which are mostly just fill.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
PITTFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
How are you going to cross everything over? If you want to use them (rears), get a bigger multi channel amp and then go active? Or just power them off the stock head unit? The stock 2 channel amp is crap IMHO. Especially for the rears which are mostly just fill.

You think that the amp in the factory HU is better than the one in the trunk? I figured the one in the trunk would be better. I can always run a set of coaxial rear speakers from the factory HU amp since it won't be used because of my 4 channel amp pushing the other speakers. I could probably even bridge the setup and push more power from the stock HU to the rear speakers. Do you think that sounds like a better plan?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just remember that the amp in the rear is 2 ohm.

Also, I think it has been talked about that the signal from that amp isn't flat. It has some level of bass boost.
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
PITTFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Just remember that the amp in the rear is 2 ohm.

Also, I think it has been talked about that the signal from that amp isn't flat. It has some level of bass boost.
That would make sense since it powers the door woofers. I'll probably come up with a better solution then. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems mostly everybody feels like this amp sucks and I'm guessing the amp in the HU probably isn't much better. Maybe I'll run my 4 channe amp not bridged and run the front two channels to the component speakers I'm the front and the rear two channels to the rear coaxial.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTFRS View Post
That would make sense since it powers the door woofers. I'll probably come up with a better solution then. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems mostly everybody feels like this amp sucks and I'm guessing the amp in the HU probably isn't much better. Maybe I'll run my 4 channe amp not bridged and run the front two channels to the component speakers I'm the front and the rear two channels to the rear coaxial.
That is what I would do (fronts and rears off your 4 channel amp). The rears are just fill so I would not be too concerned about giving them much power.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
PITTFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
That is what I would do (fronts and rears off your 4 channel amp). The rears are just fill so I would not be too concerned about giving them much power.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. Also seems more simple that way. I will be ordering my custom speaker mounts tomorrow!