follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Vmax911

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks like the Southeast Toyota Distributor has this as a dealer option. I didn't see any other info on it. How does it sound?
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
chuchutrain
Banned

Drives: Firestorm
Garage
I choose not to get the dealer installed Borla option cause it was WAY too loud and had too much hum when just cruising on the test drive. I imagine it's the same one now as it was then, but perhaps not?

It all depends on your taste, if you're a Greddy Evo3 kind of person, the Borla is right up there.
chuchutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchutrain View Post
I choose not to get the dealer installed Borla option cause it was WAY too loud and had too much hum when just cruising on the test drive. I imagine it's the same one now as it was then, but perhaps not?

It all depends on your taste, if you're a Greddy Evo3 kind of person, the Borla is right up there.

You must not like anything other than stock because it sounds nearly no different than my stock exhaust.

I had a local FR-S pull up next to me so we could compare exhaust notes and it was very similar. And yes, all the FR-Ss at the local Toyota lot have Borla exhausts on them
Ammonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
FRS1010

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
You must not like anything other than stock because it sounds nearly no different than my stock exhaust.

I had a local FR-S pull up next to me so we could compare exhaust notes and it was very similar. And yes, all the FR-Ss at the local Toyota lot have Borla exhausts on them
I agree!

It wasn't loud at all barely a low rumble. Had the resonator removed and still no rasp and a better sound. Looking to upgrade the midpipe, front pipe and overpipe eventually.
FRS1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS1010 For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
chuchutrain
Banned

Drives: Firestorm
Garage
Well given i have a bunch HKS that obviously holds true.
The Borla is a bit louder than the Perrin which is louder than stock. If you're comparing to a Mustang GT with exhaust then yes the Borla is quiet.

It also occurred to me that the Borla system with a single muffler, rather than the split dual cylinders, may not be the one I heard, but who knows at this point.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by chuchutrain; 08-09-2013 at 08:57 PM.
chuchutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
KONVERTER

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Many dealers have a separate company that comes to the lot every week or so and puts accessories on cars. Everything from chromed factory wheels, aftermarket wheels to even "performance parts."

Usually the dealer doesn't know what they are putting on. They will mark up these accessories a ton and the dealer will mark them up even more. You will usually see market value adjustments on these cars as well.

Obviously there is no market adjustment on the scion line but they get around it with aftermarket accessories.

It seems like what is happening here is they are installing a generic borla muffler and doing a custom weld job. Entire kit probably costs $300 parts and labor. 200% markup.

I wouldn't touch a car with that on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
KONVERTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
marine6680

Drives: FR-S Ultramarine
That example would be a 100% markup... not 200%.

Wanted blue, and the only one in the south east was 2 states away and came with the exhaust. And it had a tone of other crap "dealer installed options" that I didn't pay for because I didn't want it on there to begin with.

But if adding a midpipe would bring it up to a real catback, I might do it. Might not be worth it in the end to add one... not if the ECU adapts to the change without a tune.

It sounds better than stock, but it isn't very loud.

Last edited by marine6680; 08-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.
marine6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
KONVERTER

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thought I read it was 900...

Anyway... it isn't even mandrel bent, has crush bends. Better off ditching it, who knows what gauge piping they used, it is probably heavier than stock...
KONVERTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
beaver_scott

Drives: 2013 FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
That is an odd borla setup. I put a catback borla on my frs and the muffler is up front along the driveline. Also, it is quieter than I would have prefered. [ame]http://youtu.be/rsQs0ArYIwU[/ame]
beaver_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
nathanR

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I just purchased my FRS last night. Every (iirc) single FRS, with the exception of the two special edition 10's, on the lot had the Borla exhaust on it. There were at least 15 of them. The dealership claimed that the FRS's are shipped to them like that.

So far, I've found the noise level to be very conservative, and quite tolerable, at both highway speed and normal driving. It was a $699.00 option on the window sticker. It's been pouring rain here since I bought it so I haven't had the opportunity to really get underneath the car to take a look at the exhaust. It's quite "growly" on acceleration too.

Last edited by nathanR; 08-17-2013 at 11:11 PM.
nathanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
PSORngr

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanR View Post
I just purchased my FRS last night. Every (iirc) single FRS, with the exception of the two special edition 10's, on the lot had the Borla exhaust on it. There were at least 15 of them. The dealership claimed that the FRS's are shipped to them like that.

So far, I've found the noise level to be very conservative, and quite tolerable, at both highway speed and normal driving. It was a $699.00 option on the window sticker. It's been pouring rain here since I bought it so I haven't had the opportunity to really get underneath the car to take a look at the exhaust. It's quite "growly" on acceleration too.
I have to check mine out now b/c my dealer also stuck these on every one of their cars (same price too). The window sticker said Borla cat back exhaust on it so I assumed I got the full blown thing and was really happy since Borla itself sells the system for $890 currently. I really like the sound of it.

Just checked underneath the car. It's the axle-back system.... Pretty annoyed with the dealer about how little they actually knew about the car and what they said to sell it. $200 more could have bought me the real thing.

Last edited by PSORngr; 08-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.
PSORngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
nathanR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSORngr View Post
Just checked underneath the car. It's the axle-back system.... Pretty annoyed with the dealer about how little they actually knew about the car and what they said to sell it. $200 more could have bought me the real thing.
Yeap, I can confirm that it is the axle-back system. I was at the dealership last night for a warranty issue (alarm) and spoke to the parts guys about it. Three of them initially stated it was the cat-back system but when I continued to press the issue, they checked their computer and determined that it was the axle-back exhaust system. They were able to determine this from their "service" computer system and not the "parts" computer system.

I'm not sure what kind of gains can be had by an exhaust system like this, but it sure sounds nice. Seems like it may even be heavier than stock.

I'll be looking for HP numbers next, either by scouring teh interweb or by contacting Borla directly. I'll update with any info I get.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
PSORngr

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanR View Post
Yeap, I can confirm that it is the axle-back system. I was at the dealership last night for a warranty issue (alarm) and spoke to the parts guys about it. Three of them initially stated it was the cat-back system but when I continued to press the issue, they checked their computer and determined that it was the axle-back exhaust system. They were able to determine this from their "service" computer system and not the "parts" computer system.

I'm not sure what kind of gains can be had by an exhaust system like this, but it sure sounds nice. Seems like it may even be heavier than stock.

I'll be looking for HP numbers next, either by scouring teh interweb or by contacting Borla directly. I'll update with any info I get.
I'm pretty sure we have some of legal grounds to get it changed since it clearly states on the window sticker that it is the cat-back system. I'll be going to the local dealer tomorrow to raise hell about it. I'm already ticked off with them since they said I'd get a free upgrade to the aha radio (they said it was just a software upgrade) since I bought the 10 Series.

*and I know that free upgrade won't be happening since the radios are different model numbers even though they look identical. There was absolutely no info about the MY14 model radio when I bought the car so I was clueless.
PSORngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
nathanR

My window sticker has it listed as "YE9 Borla Dual Exhaust System $699.00"