follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
gvan1998

Drives: Blue FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Factory Scion Fog lamp kit vs. Ishii Motors fog kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishii Motors
Good Question.

I'm yet to hold the OEM kit in my hand however a few differences can be seen.

First I feel the difference between Maker option and Dealer Option must be explained.
Maker option is any optional equipment that is only put into the car at the assembly plant.
Dealer Option is any optional equipment that can be installed at any time at either the Port or at a dealership.
In General Maker option is of higher quality and fitment.

With that said, the Scion OEM fog light kit is a Dealer Option part. The kit I supply is similar to a Maker Option.

Fog light housing Differences
It appears the Scion OEM kit comes with fog light housings that have more reflector lines in them unlike the more smooth ones that I supply.

Fog light mounting Differences
I don't know why but the Scion OEM kit comes with these silly brackets for mounting the fog lights to the bumper.

The Scion OEM kit only uses these brackets.
The JDM 86, BRZ and Export model BRZ all mount the fog lights in a different way. Out kit uses the Exact same hardware for mounting the fog light housings to the bumper as the original JDM 86 and all BRZ.

Now I say the Scion OEM kit is silly because you would have to remove the front bezel to remove the fog light with any ease. Whereas the Original Equipment (JDM 86, BRZ and our kit) you can unscrew the fog light and remove it from inside the bumper without removing the bezel, just as our kit.

SWITCH Differences
The OEM kit comes with a switch that mounts on the lower left of the dash panel.
Our kit comes with a replacement turn signal stalk (more like a Maker Option).

Harness Differences
The harness that comes in the Scion OEM kit is not plug and play. The way it wires in is just like most Dealer option parts. It is not plug and play.

The way the wire harness assembly on the Scion OEM kit comes appears that it is made outside of Japan.
Our wire harness is made like the JDM 86 harness.

I will purchase a Scion OEM kit to inspect more carefully all the differences but,
I feel our product is still a viable product and the price reflects perfectly what it is worth. I will continue to make our kit available.

Ishii

Installation Instructions
I have uploaded the installation instructions online. They may be viewed at the following link:
http://www.141motors.com/services/fr...structions.pdf
I wasdeciding which kit to buy, this or the factory. I purchased the Factory Scion USA kit. Here are my conclusions.

First I feel the difference between Maker option and Dealer Option must be explained.
Maker option is any optional equipment that is only put into the car at the assembly plant.
Dealer Option is any optional equipment that can be installed at any time at either the Port or at a dealership.
In General Maker option is of higher quality and fitment.

With that said, the Scion OEM fog light kit is a Dealer Option part. The kit I supply is similar to a Maker Option.

Actually Scion USA kit is a Maker option. To prove my point, go to Scion's website. It is listed as factory accessoy and not a dealer option.

Fog light housing Differences
It appears the Scion OEM kit comes with fog light housings that have more reflector lines in them unlike the more smooth ones that I supply.

Cant really comment on this. I believe factory housing is better, I rather trust toyota than a 3rd party aftermarket.

Fog light mounting Differences
I don't know why but the Scion OEM kit comes with these silly brackets for mounting the fog lights to the bumper.

The Scion OEM kit only uses these brackets.
The JDM 86, BRZ and Export model BRZ all mount the fog lights in a different way. Out kit uses the Exact same hardware for mounting the fog light housings to the bumper as the original JDM 86 and all BRZ.

Now I say the Scion OEM kit is silly because you would have to remove the front bezel to remove the fog light with any ease. Whereas the Original Equipment (JDM 86, BRZ and our kit) you can unscrew the fog light and remove it from inside the bumper without removing the bezel, just as our kit.

Scion uses these brackets for safety precaution. These bracket creates space between the actual foglight and the housing so the fogs wont melt the housing. So i wouldnt call it silly.

SWITCH Differences
The OEM kit comes with a switch that mounts on the lower left of the dash panel.
Our kit comes with a replacement turn signal stalk (more like a Maker Option).

I like the button that the Scion factory kit uses. Less labor, you dont have to remove air bag or the steering wheel. There is a unused pre-wire under the dash that will plug right into the factory button.

Harness Differences
The harness that comes in the Scion OEM kit is not plug and play. The way it wires in is just like most Dealer option parts. It is not plug and play.

The way the wire harness assembly on the Scion OEM kit comes appears that it is made outside of Japan.
Our wire harness is made like the JDM 86 harness.

Please do your research before stating that the Scion USA is not a plug and play kit. It is 100% full plug and play kit, No splicing wires at all. Its actually the easiest foglamp install I ever did. Just plug 1 wire to the factory prewire and your all set. Almost everything is made outside USA or Japan, at least its made by toyota factory. Again I rather trust TOyota harness than homemade harness.

It was the easiest install I ever did.Factory Kit just plugs into existing plug. No modications what so ever. PLus its cheaper than this aftermaket kit and its 100% covered under warranty.
gvan1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I personally would like to see up close photos of each kits parts and know who's the maker of said parts.

I know the @Ishii Motors kit is different/better in my opinion for what I've seen.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Ishii Motors

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan1998 View Post
I was deciding which kit to buy, this or the factory. I purchased the Factory Scion USA kit. Here are my conclusions.

Actually Scion USA kit is a Maker option. To prove my point, go to Scion'swebsite. It is listed as factory accessoy and not a dealer option.
They do not come from the factory, therefore a dealer option.
This Terminology I use is a Japanese expression; "Maker option" "Dealer option"
But really no matter, The whole point is there is a choice available for fog light kits. Depending on what switch you like or whatever someone might like about one kit compared to the other. I offer a different choice for people that want what our kit has to offer.

Quote:
Cant really comment on this. I believe factory housing is better, I rather trust toyota than a 3rd party aftermarket.
I provide Factory Subaru Fog lamps from Subaru, not aftermarket 3rd party. They come directly from Subaru in Subaru boxes. No 3rd party aftermarket.
Quote:
Scion uses these brackets for safety precaution. These bracket creates space between the actual foglight and the housing so the fogs wont melt the housing. So i wouldnt callit silly.
I still say it is silly. There is nodanger of melting anything. Your stating an opinion as am I.
Quote:
I like the button that the Scion factory kit uses.Less labor, you dont have to remove air bag or the steering wheel. There is a unused pre-wire under the dash that will plug right into the factory button.
A matter of Opinion. But this is where the Scion OEM kit becomes a “Dealer Option” as it can be added by the dealer.
Some people would prefer it on the turn signal stalk as that is like it would come from the factory.
Again, Dealer option is something the dealer can add such as the Scion OEM kit. Our kit is not something standard that adealer would add as an accessory.
Quote:
Please do your research before stating thatthe Scion USA is not a plug and play kit. It is 100% full plug and play kit, No splicing wires at all. Its actually the easiest foglamp install I ever did. Just plug 1 wire to the factory prewire and your all set. Almost everything is made outside USA or Japan, at least its made by toyota factory. Again I rathertrust TOyota harness than homemade harness.
I’ve done lots of research and spent lots of money doing this research. Our harnesses just plug in, no need to modify the existing harnesses like the Scion OEM kit does.

Quote:
It was the easiest install I ever did.Factory Kit just plugs into existing plug. No modications what so ever.
Yes,it is easy to install; So is our kit.
I could install either kit in the same amount of time and ease.
The scion OEM kit takes longer to install the Harnesses addition as it has to be routed up and zip tied for the ground wires. For the amount of time that takes I could put in the new Turn signal switch

Quote:
PLus its cheaper than this aftermaket kit andits 100% covered under warranty.
You’re right, My kit is more expensive as it comes with a new Turn signal Switch which costs a fair amount. And correct no warranty from us.
it’s really a matter of how you want the switch.
You could buy the Scion OEM kit and then add in the new Turn signal stalk that hasthe Fog light switch, but it would cost more money than just buying our kit.

I do like that the OEM kit has a new switch that can be added. I’m thinking of adding in that switch to control a rear Fog light, or the LEDs on the Series 10 or whatever else I want to control because I’ll have that space available since my fog light switch is in the stalk.
Ishii Motors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishii Motors For This Useful Post:
Lverasky (07-24-2013), TRD-X (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
It's pretty sad to see you say things like that with out knowing Steve ishii's work history. I'd let home tell you about it. All I will say is that the quality of the fog light kit he sells is on just as good as the official scion lamps. Even my Toyota technicians at the dealership thought it was their fog lamps installed. That's how good the quality is.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Touge_ninja For This Useful Post:
TRD-X (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
FRSHunter

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I ended up buying the OEM kit and will probably buy the stalk to replace the button. It ended up being the same price as the Ishii motor's kit for me.
FRSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
tCsonfrs

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #207
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Devil's advocate here;

doesn't the Scion OEM kit have a glass lens with H1 55w bulbs vs. the Subaru OEM kit with plastic lens and PSx24w bulbs?
tCsonfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Grey
Ghost

Drives: FR-S (Whiteout)
Garage
I self-installed the Toyota USDM fogs in my FR-S, and the clips are entirely necessary. The bezels wiggle quite a bit without them. It has nothing to do with heat or danger of melting, the bezels literally wiggle loose without them.

The OEM lights are glass.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
FRSHunter

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The foglights are 55w and glass, the mount and clips it comes with keeps the bezels stiff in place.
FRSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
Chillz

Drives: Asphalt FR-S & S14
Isn't the Scion OEM harness plug-in? I thought you just have to plug a pin into the existing harness.

The harness is my missing piece and I'll have a Maker/Dealer quality pieced kit for under $250. If someone were to just make the harnesses, they could probably make some $.
Chillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
Ishii Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillz View Post
Isn't the Scion OEM harness plug-in? I thought you just have to plug a pin into the existing harness.

The harness is my missing piece and I'll have a Maker/Dealer quality pieced kit for under $250. If someone were to just make the harnesses, they could probably make some $.
Correct; On the Scion OEM kit you must pull the lock clip out of the harness, add the pin and put the lock clip back in.
Then you have to add a ground wire and zip tie it up along the way.

Our Harness; just unplug the old harness and plug the new harness in.

Ishii
Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #11
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Ishiis kit is top notch! Ftw...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
Chillz

Drives: Asphalt FR-S & S14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishii Motors View Post
Correct; On the Scion OEM kit you must pull the lock clip out of the harness, add the pin and put the lock clip back in.
Then you have to add a ground wire and zip tie it up along the way.

Our Harness; just unplug the old harness and plug the new harness in.

Ishii
But we have to package the old harness and ship it back to you correct?
Chillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #13
Ishii Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillz View Post
But we have to package the old harness and ship it back to you correct?
That is optional. We only ask if you could send them to us.
If you arn't ever going to use them again it helps others if you send them to us rather than throw them away.

Ishii
Old 10-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Fog lamps from Ishii - installed

Just installed by Steve @ Ishii (great shop btw...)

Post (with pix): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=85