follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Actually, I feel like Honda is in a really good position to do this. Make a mid-engine car with CRZ powertrain but a bored out L15 (though that 89mm stroke is a bit of a problem). Just pick the CRZ guts off the assembly line and drop into another chassis pretty much. Or maybe certify the R16 for EU/US and use that. If it's a mild hybrid, no one will complain about low end torque either since the electric motor adds like 70% more torque at idle. I would be down to put down a good chunk of money for that, and it would cost Honda close to nothing. In fact I would buy a mid-engined CRZ with the exact powertrain they offered, but then again I am the crazy owner of an MR2 Spyder.
Man, if they made the CRZ a MR non-hybrid car (like a K20 behind the driver) with a slightly lower center of gravity, that really would have been a contender for people getting the FRS/BRZ. That would have been one hot tamale!

Also, I know it's more of a luxury oriented car, but one that I love is the Volvo C30 R-Design. Six speed manual, 2.5L engine pushing 227hp/236tq, FF layout (I know, this changes everything). Also, you get a free trip to Scandinavia with the purchase of a new Volvo!

*Hinting at Toyota* How about that trip to Japan to see my *86* being built?

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeJuleas For This Useful Post:
meWant (07-13-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Yes, 3rd generation was an abject failure due to the trunk space. RMR cars are difficult to work on; the maintenance on them will always cost more simply due to labor. That's another reason you don't see an entry level RMR...people looking at entry level sports cars are NOT looking for expensive maintenance and usually can't afford it anyway.
It is actually one of the easier cars that I have worked on in my lifetime. And in 43 years of driving I have worked on a lot of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
3rd gen MR2 was also a failure because it was freaking HIDEOUS. I would have bought one if they hadn't been so damned hard to look at. How they managed to make a small roadster look so boring and slab-sided is beyond me. About as sexy a shape as a bar of Dial soap...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Don't forget the bug-eyed headlights, uggh, they really dropped the ball on that design
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Indeed...
It may be an acquired taste but I love my little Spyder!

sho220 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #31
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
It is actually one of the easier cars that I have worked on in my lifetime. And in 43 years of driving I have worked on a lot of cars.
95% of people buying cars don't work on them. Hell, most car guys don't. Some enthusiasts do. That's the breakdown the way I see it.

Anyway, the SW20 an acquaintance of mine had was a PITA to work on.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
To cut costs in R&D and production, car manufacturers are moving towards chassis-sharing. VW's new MQB platform is a good example, as are all of the crossover models we're seeing based on sedan platforms.

For that reason, I think it's HIGHLY doubtful that we'll see a new low- or mid-priced MR platform anytime soon.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The thing is if you are using V6 or I4 engines you can pick a whole FF drive train up and drop it into an MR with zero modification. I guess you need a sporty drive train to start with though and no one has one anymore.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #34
DarkSunrise

Yeah the drivetrain is fairly easy if you can find a sporty one in existence (K24 perhaps), but the chassis development and production would be prohibitively expensive unless you could share it across other models. Not really possible for an MR platform.

The only way this would be feasible IMO would be a JV with another company. Something along the lines of the Lotus chassis / Celica engined Elise. Even then, the cost in the US ended up being $43k in 2006 (about $50k today), and that's with Lotus already having developed the Elise chassis for other markets.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Garage
I mean, the crz was a new platform right? How many of those are they selling?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
DarkSunrise

From what I understand, the CRZ chassis was basically a shortened version of the Insight chassis (which was derived from the Fit chassis). Bit of a different situation than developing an MR chassis from scratch.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #37
chappys4life

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
There's a mid-market hole because most people shopping for a car in that range are going to be buying a primary car. For 40k, most people want to be able to haul the mail AND haul their kids. Or they want to haul their kids and impress their neighbors. It's the quintessential daily driver market. Which makes it the compromise market. Entry level luxury or blue collar performance with pseudoluxury fancy baubles.
I think that is the hardest thing when you are looking for a sports car and it be your only transporation. I feel the size of the fr-s/370z/corevtte/z4 limits how you can use the car for practical purposes. Unless you have a 2nd car or gf/wife/etc with a more practical vehicle I think it is something to consider which makes the market smaller as well. For me no kids but hauling things comes up and being the only car that small can create issues.
chappys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappys4life View Post
I think that is the hardest thing when you are looking for a sports car and it be your only transporation. I feel the size of the fr-s/370z/corevtte/z4 limits how you can use the car for practical purposes. Unless you have a 2nd car or gf/wife/etc with a more practical vehicle I think it is something to consider which makes the market smaller as well. For me no kids but hauling things comes up and being the only car that small can create issues.
Yeah that's the reason why the hot hatch segment is becoming so popular. They combine some of the practicality of a station wagon with some of the performance/feel of a sports car.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreak View Post
Yes. I'm genuinely excited to see what Ford does with the mustang. They won't go quite as extreme as Subaru/Toyota but I bet they'll still drop some weight. That in combination with IRS could make a pretty serious track toy.
What I've been reading on the major auto blogs hasn't been promising in this regard. Spy photos of the next gen Stang (admittedly heavily padded and camo'ed) show it to be about the same dimensions overall as the current-gen, so it's going to stay big and blocky. They might knock off 150 lbs using more high-strength steel, but that's not enough to make it a true sports car. And isn't going to an IRS going to add some weight?
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #40
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I wanna know how a 3250 lb Z is considered a Muscle Car? The typical muscle car weight is 500 lbs more than the Z. And the Z is 100-150 lbs more than a 991 911. I think if the Z can drop to 3000 to 3100lbs flat it would be fine considering a Cayman and the S model is in that weight category.
Cayman with MT is 2888 lb curb weight - nearly 400 lbs less than the 3272 lb base 370Z. That is a major difference. Even to get within 100 lbs of the Cayman is going to be difficult and costly.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #41
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah that's the reason why the hot hatch segment is becoming so popular. They combine some of the practicality of a station wagon with some of the performance/feel of a sports car.
Adding to their growing appeal is the fact that they are getting closer to sports cars in terms of their handling characteristics - check out the reviews of the new Fiesta ST and the upcoming Mk 7 GTI with eLSD.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #42
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
(I am ignoring the 370Z here as it's more of a Japanese muscle car, does poorly in comparative reviews, and is teetering on its last legs before a re-do)
Huh? I hate Nissan and even I can admit the 370Z is a great car. You're asking what car exists and then specifically ignoring the only one that does.