follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyvin View Post
Anyone getting the OEM 400+ or already have it know how much it is to get it installed?
I do not because I installed it myself. I would add the comment that it was easier to do than I would have originally suspected as the interior of this car really does just snap in and out.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
Admiral Ballsy
Shorter of breath

Drives: a soft bargain
Garage
Depending upon reviews, I will probably buy it.

40W would be plenty of power for my needs.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I watched a video on an aftermarket subwoofer install that was done exactly the same way as described in those instructions lol
I imagine that was the OEM 400 install video, which although similar, is actually less involved than the one shown for the kicker. The OEM 400 install does not involve opening up the instrument gauge panel. It goes under the drivers dash, sends a power wire through the existing firewall opening to the battery and then up to the radio from the bottom.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
twoodcc

Drives: BRZ Limited 6M
i might be interested in this. i don't need a lot more than what the stock radio has, but it does need something
twoodcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
poundsand

Drives: na
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
I imagine that was the OEM 400 install video, which although similar, is actually less involved than the one shown for the kicker. The OEM 400 install does not involve opening up the instrument gauge panel. It goes under the drivers dash, sends a power wire through the existing firewall opening to the battery and then up to the radio from the bottom.
This one clearly didn't require opening up the day either- that's just for cleaner wire routing.
poundsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #34
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Wish they still made kickass a/b amps, like the ones from the late 90's, orion, phonix gold, alpine surf boards. Loved the control, clarity, kick of those old amps compared to these class d amps that they tell us are better cause they use less power, the damping and s/n were so much higher bavk then.
5th 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #35
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Oem400+ for bang for buck guys. While this alone seems cool the kicker sub add on is not going to be a balanced setup front is too weak as well for that.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
I would stay away from this Accessory unless they (Subaru-Kicker) have worked out some form of adjustment with it.

I have not reccomended these subs to my customers for years now because they are full on bass or unplugged. With no adjustment between the two.

I have had a few customers purchase these for their Impreza's and be totally turned off by the full-on or nothing bass with no real form of adjustment.
The Kicker subs for the Impreza & BRZ have a gain adjustment on the built in amp, right next to where the harness plugs in.
Beyer Subaru (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #37
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
The Kicker subs for the Impreza & BRZ have a gain adjustment on the built in amp, right next to where the harness plugs in.
Ok, that's great news! I know from several of my customers that bought it that there was no form of adjustment in the past. They had sought out advice from other owners, Subaru and even Kicker.
Kicker said that they were working on something but couldn't give us any info as the parts built are for Subaru.
I would still be weary of this part, just sayin.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #38
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not exactly a handy location for that gain adjustment since you might want to change the gain according to the type of music you're playing - heavier for dance, less for classical etc.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #39
KevinBRZ

Drives: BRZ
I don't like it being on the driver's side of the car. According to the manual, you have to remove the subwoofer anytime you want to access that trunk button, plus it would have been nice to balance the extra driver weight by putting it on the right side of the vehicle.
KevinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #40
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Wow, what a ripoff price for something that you still have to tear the crap out of your car...and it won't even be that great! You can get a much better sub with quick disconnects for 1/2 the price
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Rinzler

Drives: BRZ Limited
Garage
For a custom enclosure built for the sub, no need for an external amp sure, this thing is going to be underpowered, but how seriously underpowered?

I.E. what I'm really asking is: If you want bass, but you don't want to blow your eardrums out, only have the lows go over on a crossover and compliment the music, what makes this such a bad option? I used to have 2 10's in a ported box in my passat, and it was obnoxious after the first year, but I still do appreciate subwoofers. I just hate having them be so much louder than the music.

For 600$ or whatever, what can you buy that's better? I remember both of my subs were 150.00$ each and that was half off for both, so I mean, that + my amp + a box and you're looking at 600$ too, before install.

If anyone does get this if they could post videos or reviews of SQ that would be far more helpful then people just saying that it sucks based purely on speculation and what the spec sheet says. Not everyone wants to boom bass. Some people just want to add bass notes without it being ridiculously loud.

So far the only known negative I see is that it fits on the driver side of the trunk which admittedly is bad design seeing as how there is always a driver.
Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
For 600$ or whatever, what can you buy that's better? I remember both of my subs were 150.00$ each and that was half off for both, so I mean, that + my amp + a box and you're looking at 600$ too, before install.
I'm not an expert, but I just had a 12" sub and 250w amp installed for $500. And I didn't shop around. I just went in and said I wanted a 10" sub (they were out) and pointed at a couple options. If you wanted to install yourself the sub and amp are each under $100 on Amazon.

The OE sub is on the high side but if you want it to look like a factory option it's not an outrageous price. It wasn't an option for me because I wanted mine to be easily removable for autox.