follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Would you "T-Top" Your FR-S/BRZ?
YES 80 33.61%
NO 158 66.39%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
supragoods

Drives: Ravenfire
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
targa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
For me Targa+Louvers+Liftback>targa>hard top>t-top>wrecked>convertible
srry bro i been wait in that line before they released car
if /when the release the convertibe dont be surprised if you see one
supragoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Liftback targa or nothing.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Razz

Drives: Fast
I would like to have one from the factory.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:
Amir Ghadiri (07-13-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
sunroof or if the convertible version was just a targa version but no T top
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsie View Post
Never. Maybe a sunroof.
A sunroof goes against the whole engineering mantra and design philosophy of the car.

I think a lot of people completely miss the point of the twins. These cars are all about doing the most with the least. Have you noticed that when open the hood there's no metal fenderwells? That the roof, hood and fenders are paper thin? That even the glass is thin? That everything about this car was done from the ground to make something that was inexpensive but brilliant?

There's not a car out there that posses the same fanatical engineering philosophy within 30K of it's price point. The next closest thing really is a Porsche Cayman. There is a reason that people with exotics respect these cars despite the price and "lack of power". There is a reason that these cars have grabbed the worlds attention. Because such a pure, dedicated car hasn't existed at this price point in a VERY long time.

Theses are enthusiasts cars, engineers cars. Cars for people who get "it" These cars are the 240Z's of 40 years from now. They inspire because they were inspired.

Please take your request for added garbage like sunroofs, convertibles, T-Tops, Targas, etc and buy a Camaro, Mustang, 35/70Z, Corvette or any number of other cars that manage to do a good bit with a lot. I'd prefer my car to keep doing a lot with the least. That's amazing, that's engineering, and that's what legends are made of.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s0sl0w For This Useful Post:
Clembo (07-03-2013), Ocala FR-S (09-03-2013), strat61caster (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #33
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
For me Targa+Louvers+Liftback>targa>hard top>t-top>wrecked>convertible
Hahaha. And yes. Louvers. Definitely louvers.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #34
Forty

Drives: Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
A sunroof goes against the whole engineering mantra and design philosophy of the car.

I think a lot of people completely miss the point of the twins. These cars are all about doing the most with the least. Have you noticed that when open the hood there's no metal fenderwells? That the roof, hood and fenders are paper thin? That even the glass is thin? That everything about this car was done from the ground to make something that was inexpensive but brilliant?

There's not a car out there that posses the same fanatical engineering philosophy within 30K of it's price point. The next closest thing really is a Porsche Cayman. There is a reason that people with exotics respect these cars despite the price and "lack of power". There is a reason that these cars have grabbed the worlds attention. Because such a pure, dedicated car hasn't existed at this price point in a VERY long time.

Theses are enthusiasts cars, engineers cars. Cars for people who get "it" These cars are the 240Z's of 40 years from now. They inspire because they were inspired.

Please take your request for added garbage like sunroofs, convertibles, T-Tops, Targas, etc and buy a Camaro, Mustang, 35/70Z, Corvette or any number of other cars that manage to do a good bit with a lot. I'd prefer my car to keep doing a lot with the least. That's amazing, that's engineering, and that's what legends are made of.

This thread can be locked now.
Forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #35
bugsie
Padawan

Drives: Definitely Japanese
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

While it's true that this car has the potential to be a collector's car in the future, you cannot deny the fact that this car is designed to be a tuner's car. I understand that you might be a purist when it comes to the 86, but the reality is that people will modify it like crazy and I will not be surprised if I see these mods in the future.

And btw, I don't believe this car is for people who get 'it', there's no such thing. I get that owning an 86 feeds the ego of some people and I think that's completely BS. At the end of the day, this is just a car, people can afford it, that doesn't make owners "people who get it".

P.S. Don't be too serious, the OP just wants a fun discussion.
bugsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsie View Post
While it's true that this car has the potential to be a collector's car in the future, you cannot deny the fact that this car is designed to be a tuner's car. I understand that you might be a purist when it comes to the 86, but the reality is that people will modify it like crazy and I will not be surprised if I see these mods in the future.

And btw, I don't believe this car is for people who get 'it', there's no such thing. I get that owning an 86 feeds the ego of some people and I think that's completely BS. At the end of the day, this is just a car, people can afford it, that doesn't make owners "people who get it".

P.S. Don't be too serious, the OP just wants a fun discussion.
What, exactly, do you mean when you say "tuner's car"? Do you mean designed with much potential? If that's what you mean then yes, I agree completely, Subaru even admits that they designed this car specifically focusing on the areas that were impossibly/very difficult to improve upon by the aftermarket.

If you mean that they designed the car to chopped up, screwed with and ruined... no I don't agree. They may have realized that would happen but it wasn't the intent.

I do not believe many owners get it, in fact I believe most don't, what I mean when I say that is that if you get it you understand why there's no sunroof, etc.

Honestly if you don't understand why this car is the way it is then there's really no reason to buy beyond the looks. And many here have bought the car and have sold or want to sell because they've realized it's not what they want. There are plenty of ~$25K that are more powerful, quicker, have more space and are more economical to operate. There is no good reason to buy the twins unless you appreciate what it truly is which is a lot more than a pretty face or a "sports car".

Also: I'm a Mechanical Engineering student.... so yeah, my opinions come from a slightly different perspective than the average joe perhaps. I didn't buy the BRZ for an ego boost, I bought because it's the first car I've felt truly passionate about (that I can afford) since my 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.
The Following User Says Thank You to s0sl0w For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Most performance cars these days are hammers. You can change a lot of things about a hammer and it still does the job very well, it satisfies a lot of requirements and gets the job done in an awe inspiring fashion.

The 86 is closer to a scalpel (along with cars like the S2000, Cayman/Boxster, and to a lesser extent Miata, which is probably comparable to a pocket knife in my long winded self serving analogy that only soslow will appreciate). Kind of specialized, not as spectacular as a hammer and nowhere near as versatile but very good at certain things. When you add a bunch of stuff to your scalpel, it morphs into something that isn't quite a scalpel, you may have made yourself something that is truly one of a kind and satisfies many many people (especially those who compare scalpels to hammers) but it isn't quite a scalpel anymore and that makes some people sad.

Sure mawd it all day long, drop it, lower it, strip it, put a bird on it! Cut holes in it! I don't care as long as someone is still selling scalpels I'll be happy.

Relevant links:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ife-Wrench.jpg

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ammerforum-com
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
s0sl0w (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Exactly, Seeing car like that gives me a sad. I will always discourage people from doing things like that to their car.

And I sure as shit don't want to see the manufacturer turn my scalpel into a shitty pocketknife.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #39
FRS_Sovereign
Manual Noob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Also: I'm a Mechanical Engineering student.... so yeah, my opinions come from a slightly different perspective than the average joe perhaps. I didn't buy the BRZ for an ego boost, I bought because it's the first car I've felt truly passionate about (that I can afford) since my 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.
Yea but to give your opinion and tell everyone else that they ruined the car. Make you sound like you need to put down others to get your point heard which is textbook narcissism, Most of us here are technical otherwise we wouldn't have looked up and join this forum. Just saying. ALL LOVE :happy0180:
FRS_Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Targa top Twins..... I'd be the first inline, the thought 😳

You know what they say... pick two: cheap, fast, reliable.
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joakim3 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #41
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,999 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
...Please take your request for added garbage like sunroofs, convertibles, T-Tops, Targas, etc and buy a Camaro, Mustang, 35/70Z, Corvette or any number of other cars that manage to do a good bit with a lot. I'd prefer my car to keep doing a lot with the least. That's amazing, that's engineering, and that's what legends are made of.
Normally, I would agree with you, except that it has been stated before, including by the designers that this car was intended and designed from day one to have a convertible version of it.

That means there is already some rigidity and strength (and extra unneeded stuff you say you don't want) built into the frame.

I'm no automotive engineer but I'm interpolating from that you could add roof panels (Targa, t-tops, but not a sunroof) that would have minimal impact to the car, and could potentially even lower the CG.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #42
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_Sovereign View Post
Yea but to give your opinion and tell everyone else that they ruined the car. Make you sound like you need to put down others to get your point heard which is textbook narcissism, Most of us here are technical otherwise we wouldn't have looked up and join this forum. Just saying. ALL LOVE :happy0180:
How's this for an opinion then. The convertible GT86 that Toyota will almost certainly release is a truly terrible iteration of the car that only exist because it'll rack up sales among non enthusiast types because a convertible GT86 is pretty much full retard.

If you like it, and it doesn't make your car unsafe then by all means go for it. In the same right that you have to do things to your car I have the same right to laugh at you for it. Every morning I wake and pour myself a tall glass of Haterade, plenty to go around.

Tags
question