follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #1947
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I see what you mean. Have Subaru make it a GT-86 Limited, then give it to Toyota to swap out what they need at their own location. Thus final location is: Toyota.
Exactly. Although it still seems strange that they would ship vehicles to a different plant, just to have very small trim pieces added. From a cost perspective it just doesn't make sense.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #1948
SpyderDan
Toyota hoarder

Drives: 10 Series FR-S, 05 xB, MR-S GT-300
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caaf View Post
Any interior shots? Does the dash have the same carbon fibre look as the stock car or is it slightly different?
I've only seen it from outside, through the glass, but it is definitely a different material. It looks like carbon fiber (though I'm pretty sure it is fake), and is smooth.
SpyderDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #1949
caaf

Drives: FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderDan View Post
I've only seen it from outside, through the glass, but it is definitely a different material. It looks like carbon fiber (though I'm pretty sure it is fake), and is smooth.
Cool, I'm glad it's unique.
I'm gonna have to wait about a month for my car to arrive...
caaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1950
applekash

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Quote:
So it looks like the dash from the Limited Edition featured at the NY Autoshow?

So any luck on getting sometime to get your car from mr. Big shot?
applekash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #1951
SpyderDan
Toyota hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Exactly. Although it still seems strange that they would ship vehicles to a different plant, just to have very small trim pieces added. From a cost perspective it just doesn't make sense.
Exactly. This is Toyota's main plant, in Toyota City, Aichi, which is at least a few hundred miles away from the FHI Gunma plant. I would be really surprised if it was just for badges or other minor trim.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #1952
SpyderDan
Toyota hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekash View Post
So it looks like the dash from the Limited Edition featured at the NY Autoshow?

So any luck on getting sometime to get your car from mr. Big shot?
It looked less like fake carbon fiber, compared to the pictures I saw from the NY Autoshow. The weave pattern was nice and crisp, with no rounded corners on the squares like you see with cheap imitation carbon fiber.

The car that they showed at Toyotafest, which I assume is that same car, had a standard FR-S dash. I wonder if they decided to upgrade the part for release, so they had replaced it with a standard dash for Toyotafest.

I got a call from the dealer this morning, and I could pick up the car today if I weren't stuck at the office in West Hollywood. Maybe tomorrow morning, or maybe later tonight if I can manage to get out of the office soon enough. Apparently the BeSpoke/nav module showed up today (earlier than expected), so I don't need to wait for it anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpyderDan For This Useful Post:
applekash (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1953
UNICRN
<3 Tory Burch <3

Drives: M/T 10 Series #0039
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Ah, deal fell through at the local dealership because they wouldn't give me anything for my bespoke on my current FR-S and they so said "swapping" couldn't be done, nevertheless things were getting heated and I don't like being pressured. So I walked away. # 0039 won't be mine. I'll be working with another dealership about an hour away but directly with the Scion manager, who is an FR-S owner himself. I think having a knowledgeable person to deal with is worth the wait for me. Getting my deposit back and have a secured manual coming a little later. At least ya'll got pictures and a video from me? hehe
UNICRN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to UNICRN For This Useful Post:
applekash (06-24-2013), Brently (06-24-2013), chanomatik (06-24-2013), ElZilcho (06-24-2013), HotLeopardMama (06-24-2013), thill (06-24-2013), torqdork (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #1954
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRN View Post
Ah, deal fell through at the local dealership because they wouldn't give me anything for my bespoke on my current FR-S and they so said "swapping" couldn't be done, nevertheless things were getting heated and I don't like being pressured. So I walked away. # 0039 won't be mine. I'll be working with another dealership about an hour away but directly with the Scion manager, who is an FR-S owner himself. I think having a knowledgeable person to deal with is worth the wait for me. Getting my deposit back and have a secured manual coming a little later. At least ya'll got pictures and a video from me? hehe
Good for you... More people should walk when the dealer starts pressuring you...

But yes, we did get early pics outta ya, lol
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
UNICRN (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #1955
applekash

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Just got an update from my dealer. The told me last week week that car had an expected delivery of June 24...

Just got off the line with the dealership and they told me that it should now arrive sometime before the week is over. Seriously?

I already own the car as all the financial paperwork has cleared and been processed... Yet no car like others still driving some RAV 4 loaner car. Whats up with Toyota?
applekash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #1956
Brently
Grey Wind

Drives: FR-S 10 Series #0065
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRN View Post
Good for you to stand your ground.

Although I am excited for this car, I think the features have been over hyped, and the dealers have been a little scammy in how they "sold" the cars to buyers. I feel like the car was horribly misrepresented in Canada, and I have come close to changing my mind a few times (and still might). In Canada for example, even though each dealership only got 1 or 2 cars, Toyota set a "special" financing/lease rate that is "higher" than every other car it sells-- they have NEVER done this before for a release series--EVER. What a jerkstore (Seinfeld reference) thing to do. Make that one customer pay a special financing rate.

Love the "pure pricing" garbage-- some dealerships mark that shit up and claim you can't haggle because of "pure pricing". Super scammy. At least that isn't allowed in Canada. Dealers can be reported to OMVIC for that crap.

Happy you are still getting your car. I think a lot of sales ppl are being ass hatty about these cars because they know they will sell them quickly.

All I know is the longer I wait, the less I feel this car is "worth it."

Anyway-- just my opinion...

So, my grandma Reynolds was always saying 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' I wish she was still alive, because I'd really like to ask her what she suggests for when life gives you Chlamydia.--Veronica Mars
Brently is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brently For This Useful Post:
Old Guy (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #1957
jpky16

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It looked less like fake carbon fiber, compared to the pictures I saw from the NY Autoshow. The weave pattern was nice and crisp, with no rounded corners on the squares like you see with cheap imitation carbon fiber.

The car that they showed at Toyotafest, which I assume is that same car, had a standard FR-S dash. I wonder if they decided to upgrade the part for release, so they had replaced it with a standard dash for Toyotafest.

I got a call from the dealer this morning, and I could pick up the car today if I weren't stuck at the office in West Hollywood. Maybe tomorrow morning, or maybe later tonight if I can manage to get out of the office soon enough. Apparently the BeSpoke/nav module showed up today (earlier than expected), so I don't need to wait for it anymore.
I personally prefer the original black "fake carbon" look. I like it because A. carbon fibre should be black, not the weird white/grey/silver it looked like in the (admittedly grainy) photos I've seen so far, and B. because the original car has the "T" pattern designed into it.

Also - it does kind of look like carbon fibre that doesn't have some crazy gloss to it; like its just been applied and sanded over (which would give it the weird interlacing/rounded edge look).

I kinda feel like the 10 series dash looks MORE like fake carbon to me and doesn't have the cool design references that the original dash does. Not to mention the fact that the GT86 has the original dash anyway.

Just my opinion though!
jpky16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #1958
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brently View Post

Although I am excited for this car, I think the features have been over hyped, and the dealers have been a little scammy in how they "sold" the cars to buyers. I feel like the car was horribly misrepresented in Canada, and I have come close to changing my mind a few times (and still might). In Canada for example, even though each dealership only got 1 or 2 cars, Toyota set a "special" financing/lease rate that is "higher" than every other car it sells-- they have NEVER done this before for a release series--EVER. What a jerkstore (Seinfeld reference) thing to do. Make that one customer pay a special financing rate.

Love the "pure pricing" garbage-- some dealerships mark that shit up and claim you can't haggle because of "pure pricing". Super scammy. At least that isn't allowed in Canada. Dealers can be reported to OMVIC for that crap.

Happy you are still getting your car. I think a lot of sales ppl are being ass hatty about these cars because they know they will sell them quickly.

Wow.. That financing scam is ridiculous. Can you get a better rate by financing outside the dealer? I would not want to give them my interest...

Otherwise, hold tight. I am sure if is frustrating, but once you get the car and drive it I am sure you will feel much better about your decision
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Brently (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #1959
jpky16

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brently View Post

Completely agree with you. I felt quite angry when the dealership came back to tell me that we get the base model head unit in Canada. Pioneer for $500 more? No thanks.

When I told him I thought it was totally unfair that we get charged MORE for LESS, he said it wasn't a fair comparison because of the "volume discount" that the US gets and used Costco as a reference. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSH!T.

#1: the dealership gets allocated the #s, so how can you claim a volume "discount"? Wouldn't they all be the same price to the dealer anyway?
#2: I would agree MAYBE on the volume discussion if A. if it was a normal car, and B. if we were paying MORE for the SAME thing (As a Canadian I have long ago accepted this), but the fact that we are paying more for a spec that is less than advertised is completely unfair.

I went back to the dealer and said that I would expect the cost difference between the head units be subtracted off of the cost of my car since (I believe anyway) the car has been falsely advertised and/or not communicated clearly to the Canadian market what we are getting. If Scion Canada was going to put the base head unit in it all along then why not just come out and say it up front so nobody thinks they are getting tricked/scammed? Isn't this a basic customer service thing?

I've asked that they give me a break on the spoiler since its a dealer-installed item. We'll see how much I end up getting (they originally offered me $50 off the item before I threw them the argument above).

I'll keep you posted.
jpky16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpky16 For This Useful Post:
Brently (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #1960
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applekash View Post
Just got an update from my dealer. The told me last week week that car had an expected delivery of June 24...

Just got off the line with the dealership and they told me that it should now arrive sometime before the week is over. Seriously?

I already own the car as all the financial paperwork has cleared and been processed... Yet no car like others still driving some RAV 4 loaner car. Whats up with Toyota?
Like I said weeks ago, worst launch of a special model ever...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
applekash (06-24-2013), HotLeopardMama (06-24-2013)

Tags
2014, brz, fr-s, gt86