follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fog light impatience!

Okay, I have given scion ample time to release their fog lights, and frankly, I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyway! On to my idea. I was thinking that since the wiring is probably already there, what's to stop us from buying an adapter bezel from an aftermarket company, getting a set of Subaru legacy glass fog lights, and ordering a BRZ light stalk assembly from Subaru? That should activate the factory fog light wiring, right?

When I worked on my 06 Tacoma's steering column, the windshield wiper and light stalks were just big boxy modules that snapped in to connectors on the steering column. Before you think this doesn't apply... it's actually the same windshield wiper and cruise stalks! I'm not sure the lighting one is the same, but I bet it's the same base.

Anyone think this would work? And does anyone know how much a BRZ light stalk might be?

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
DC-FRS

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
Okay, I have given scion ample time to release their fog lights, and frankly, I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyway! On to my idea. I was thinking that since the wiring is probably already there, what's to stop us from buying an adapter bezel from an aftermarket company, getting a set of Subaru legacy glass fog lights, and ordering a BRZ light stalk assembly from Subaru? That should activate the factory fog light wiring, right?

When I worked on my 06 Tacoma's steering column, the windshield wiper and light stalks were just big boxy modules that snapped in to connectors on the steering column. Before you think this doesn't apply... it's actually the same windshield wiper and cruise stalks! I'm not sure the lighting one is the same, but I bet it's the same base.

Anyone think this would work? And does anyone know how much a BRZ light stalk might be?

Wiring isn't there already, unfortunately. I have the JDM GT86 Foglights on my FR-S and I had to wire them myself
DC-FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC-FRS For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Ingen

Oh well that sucks. In that case I may as well go aftermarket. Sigh. Why the hell would they remove the front fog light wiring from the harness?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why would a company known for customization not have fog lights available for customization. Don't even get me started on a lack of spoiler, shift knobs, etc. Yeah, I know I can go aftermarket, but, this is what Scion is supposedly known for (or maybe it's just Scion Canada).
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Ayaz2589

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
no no...Its Scion US as well
Ayaz2589 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ayaz2589 For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
SixSpeed

Drives: '14 Toyota Corolla S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
And to think they listed the fog light option in the "Build Your Scion" part of the site
SixSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
rhood168

Drives: Black Subaru Brz Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How hard can it be to actually wire the fog lights in with the stalk. What exacly needs to be done, your not the only one who thinks they need to hurry up. It cant be that hard
rhood168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
Why would a company known for customization not have fog lights available for customization. Don't even get me started on a lack of spoiler, shift knobs, etc. Yeah, I know I can go aftermarket, but, this is what Scion is supposedly known for (or maybe it's just Scion Canada).
I think the only thing Scion is known for is being one of the crappiest car brands in history. But don't get me wrong, I'd really like to see them get their act together and turn themselves around. But if they don't, they should just scrap the brand and put it back into the hands of Toyota.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Why is it that Scion cannot produce an armrest, foglights and other accessories in a timely manner? It's one of the most customizable cars around, and Scion can't get its act together to sell Scion or TRD accessories. Why?
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Celica00

Drives: 86
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
but guys! they released mudflaps! and a carpeted trunk. thats too many options for my brain...
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Ingen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I think the only thing Scion is known for is being one of the crappiest car brands in history. But don't get me wrong, I'd really like to see them get their act together and turn themselves around. But if they don't, they should just scrap the brand and put it back into the hands of Toyota.
Ehh...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...eliable-brand/

That said I think scion is a young brand that isn't completely certain what it stands for yet, or how a brand should stand for that. It will figure itself out in time, and with the frs to carry it I suspect it will probably hurry along a bit.

I think the long term goal of scion is reliable cars for parents to buy for thir kids. Build the most reliable cars, then add a "cool" car so that the kids might actually be interested in the brand... Makes some sense when you think about it. Not every kid is a car guy or gal... A lot of them don't know why the frs is better other than looks. That's the target audience. The frs is a gift to us, and our driving the thing around is our gift to scion lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
Shagaliscious (12-11-2012), Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I was just contemplating about this last night. I'm also waiting for all-weather floor mats. Idk what the hold up is. But I want them ASAP.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
TheGuyWithTheFireStorm (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Ingen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
I was just contemplating about this last night. I'm also waiting for all-weather floor mats. Idk what the hold up is. But I want them ASAP.
I found some off brand junker ones that are on my Christmas list until weather tech steps up. Damn I am disappointed in that company over this car.

Last edited by Ingen; 12-10-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
Ehh...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...eliable-brand/

That said I think scion is a young brand that isn't completely certain what it stands for yet, or how a brand should stand for that. It will figure itself out in time, and with the frs to carry it I suspect it will probably hurry along a bit.

I think the long term goal of scion is reliable cars for parents to buy for thir kids. Build the most reliable cars, then add a "cool" car so that the kids might actually be interested in the brand... Makes some sense when you think about it. Not every kid is a car guy or gal... A lot of them don't know why the frs is better other than looks. That's the target audience. The frs is a gift to us, and our driving the thing around is our gift to scion lol.
Oh sure, they were reliable because the brand was just made up of 4 basic Toyota models with next to nothing on them. There's very little to go wrong. But that's not saying much for it. And with all the little issues of the FR-S, perhaps it will hurt their reputation for reliability if that's what they were after.

Like most teenagers, it seems like Scion has an identity crisis and it's too lazy to care what other people want or expect from it so it just continues to do its own misguided thing. If it doesn't grow up, Scion will be known as one of Toyota's greatest failures. "Remember the Scion brand? LMAO yeah, they never did anything right!"
SkitterSkotter (12-11-2012)