follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
lukeg

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Satellite Radio Install (No visible wires)

I wouldn't have been able to do it without these other tutorials on this site:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=39
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17154

This DIY differs from the one at the top in that it can hide the wires entirely (even with the trunk open). Also, by going through the opening used for the stock antenna, you can replace and hide the satellite antenna with a shark fin.

The install works on both the stock radio and the upgrade BeSpoke. I believe there is a Sirius Receiver as well, but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if it really matters which one you get.

Parts you need:
1. XM Receiver (86180-0W032) ~ $180.00
2. Scion 2013 tC Fit Kit (PT546-21110) ~ $90.00

Tools needed:
1. Socket Wrench
2. Adjustable Wrench
3. Phillips Head Screwdriver
4. Trim Removal Tools (They helped me immensely but are not strictly required.)
5. Wire Coat Hanger (Or patience.)
6. Double Sided Carpet Tape (Or similar mounting solution.)

When the parts arrived, they came in a single box. The essential items are:
1. Antenna
2. Data Cable
3. Tuner Module
4. Grounding Wire

Steps to install:

1. Remove the dash trim. It was easier for me to remove the piece on the passenger side first and gave me visibility for snaking the data cable up.

2. Remove 4 bolts to release the radio. Pull it out so that you connect the data cable (the fat cable).

3. Snake the data cable up from the passenger side. There are 2 openings you can use. The opening closest to the center console is the easier, but the opening closer to the door is more hidden.

4. Remove the door trim (start near the back of the car and work forward gently pulling up). It is a bit tight, but does not require too much force.

5. Remove the kick plate on the passenger side. It has 1 visible clip and then slides off by pulling it towards the rear of the car.

6. Below the kick plate is a great bolt for grounding the tuner. Loosen the bolt and slide the forked end of the ground wire underneath, then lay the ground wire into the door trim about halfway down the length of the door. You can also ground the tuner using the seat bolt, however, it requires an inverted torx socket and I didn't have a tool for that. The post at the top of the page shows the seat bolt.

7. Lay the data cable into the door trim on top of the grounding wire. The data cable is a tight squeeze so it helps to have a tool that can help wedge it into the trim.

8. Follow this tutorial for removing the stock antenna on the roof. You do not need to fully remove the antenna, just loosen it. When I did this, there was a small crease in the cover, but it was easily smoothed out when I was done.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17154

9. Attach the satellite antenna just behind the stock antenna and run the wire into same hole.

10. Reattach the stock antenna, or replace and cover both with a shark fin antenna to completely hide the wire. I haven't gotten my shark fin yet, so be aware of sizing.

11. Loosen the side trim further to allow running the antenna wire. If you pull gently downward from the outer edge, it should come loose easily. I did not need to fully detach it.

12. Remove the trunk mat and the liner along the passenger side (held by 6 clips).

13. Run the antenna wire down the edge into the hole. I could see light from the other end with my trunk open. You should be able to easily reach the wire on the other side with minimal slack.

14. Run the wire underneath the rear seat hinge and back into the main cabin.

15. Push the wire down between the rear seat and the side until you reach the door trim.

16. The antenna is a fair amount longer than needed, so I folded a few lengths of the wire into the door trim to hide it.

17. THIS IS THE HARDEST PART: Run the 2 or 3 (if grounded to the kick plate) cables under the seat to the opening in the carpet just below the passenger seat adjustment bar. I had to remove a single staple from the carpet to allow enough room to easily manage this. I then reattached it with tape, but if you have a staple gun, even better. Using the wire hanger will make this process much simpler. Alternatively, go very slow and try to do the data cable as it is the easiest to guide with your fingers. Once you get the data cable through, you can tape the other 2 to it and pull the slack.

18. Attach the gray clip to the antenna wire and plug it and the data cable into the tuner. Remove a screw on the tuner and attach the grounding wire. Take care to avoid tangles and going over or around the passenger seat adjustment bar.

19. Mount the tuner using carpet tape. It's generally easier to manipulate if you pull the seat all the way forward and approach from the rear seats. You can mount the tuner however you wish, but this definitely seemed the easiest of the options I played around with.

20. Stuff the excess wire under the carpet. The data wire is by far the most tedious as it is far too long, but it can be completely hidden.

21. Reattach any trim and try out your new radio! Channel 0 has your radio ID. The website said mine was in use and I had to call the number, but it only took 10 minutes to get up and running.

I am at work, but I will get some pictures outlining as many steps as possible when I get a chance.
lukeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukeg For This Useful Post:
Ornelas66 (04-09-2015), tripjammer (03-01-2013), V_86 (04-10-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
productthespic

Drives: Scion F-RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will this work on a 2015 model?
productthespic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to productthespic For This Useful Post:
V_86 (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
mb_
Ex-MR2 owner