follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2026, 04:33 PM   #1
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
New Track car....2023 Toyota GR Cup

Mmmmmm, maybe a little better than just a track car.....

and a little nicer than my last track car....

Toyota Gazoo Racing GR86 Cup car, 2023 Build, 2,950 miles, 4 race weekends (8 races) and 2 test days with driver Massimo Sunseri, had a LF touch with a barrier at Indy last year, switched to the backup car and this one and has been parked since.

Paid for, pick it up tomorrow, will get a new wrap soon.....






Damn I am so excited!
__________________
2023 GR Cup Car

Last edited by Opie; 08-03-2026 at 10:43 AM.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2026, 06:42 PM   #2
ZC6_STi
Senior Member
 
ZC6_STi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue #709
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Thanks: 57
Thanked 73 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! And welcome back Opie!! We need more details on this GR Race Car inside & out.
ZC6_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2026, 10:51 PM   #3
new2subaru
Weight Weenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 15 FR-S
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,677
Thanks: 5,293
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,404 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Awesome! What ag great looking car!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2026, 02:13 AM   #4
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,596
Thanks: 2,617
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,704 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats! Are you still resurrecting first gens?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2026, 07:56 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 3,447
Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,188 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a throwback Castrol livery!
Congratulations dude, I hope you love it
__________________
Turbo FR-S Build - Build Thread
JDL EL Recirc manifold, Boostlab BL58x Turbo w/ T51R, 17x9 ARC-8, IAG block
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2026, 11:27 AM   #6
smackrel
Full Throttle!
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 17 CBSP Limited PP
Location: TPA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 119
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wowzers! and Congrats!

So awesome! How do you end up getting one of those? Is it like a "I know a guy" kinda thing?
smackrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2026, 06:43 PM   #7
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Congrats! Are you still resurrecting first gens?
Haven't done one in awhile, but I would if asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackrel View Post
Wowzers! and Congrats!

So awesome! How do you end up getting one of those? Is it like a "I know a guy" kinda thing?
It's a simple find one, buy one type deal...either directly from Toyota new, or from a team or individual that is selling one. Since last December I've attempted to buy 4, the other 3 all fell through for one reason or another. I know where there are a few shells available....cage & fuel cells are good....not much else...but rebuildable...


So had it at Sebring yesterday to shake it down and start to learn the feel and differences in the car. The sequential is awesome, but I've got to learn new muscle memory and shift points....turned a 2:36.5 on well heat cycled Conti slicks...not to bad, still a lot to learn and get comfortable with. Was 5.5 seconds off my best Gen1 lap....and 13 seconds off the GR Cup record there....lol

Attached Images
     
__________________
2023 GR Cup Car

Last edited by Opie; 07-19-2026 at 06:58 PM.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2026, 05:36 AM   #8
Dadhawk
Senior Member
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Paid for, pick it up tomorrow, will get a new wrap soon.....
Looks great! Congrats.

Have to say though there is something about the PA Macaroni Company logo "elbowed" around the rear wheel well I like.

Also, Giovanni's is my favorite local pizza joint, but it's not the same Giovanni's that sponsored this car.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2026, 03:39 PM   #9
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Wrap is finalized



Should pick it up on Aug 7th if everything goes well. Maybe back at Sebring on Aug 8th.

Likely at Barber on Aug 22-23.

Trying to put something together to actually race it at Barber in September....anyone want to sponsor the entry/car?
__________________
2023 GR Cup Car
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2026, 10:36 AM   #10
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
So, this is happening fast...

FT86Club members! I would love for you to check out my racing page Will Conklin Racing!

You all know that I finally took the plunge and purchased a Toyota GR Cup car last month. After getting it on track, I can honestly say it's everything I hoped it would be.

For this next part, moderators, if this is not the appropriate place, I apologize, please let me know and I will remove and/or edit it as needed.

I'm 100% setting my sights on the next challenge: competing in a Toyota GR Cup race weekend at Barber Motorsports Park this September in the Legends class.

This has been a dream of mine for a long time, and I've decided there's no better time than now to pursue it. Since tomorrow is never guaranteed, I'm now going all in and I'll be partnering with the 2025 championship winning team, BSi Racing!

As you can imagine, stepping from track days into professional racing comes with a significant financial commitment. Between licensing, race entry, tires, transportation, lodging, crew support, fuel, and other operating expenses, a single race weekend in the GR Cup requires an investment of approximately $30,000–$40,000. I need some help....

How can you help? I'm looking for businesses that want to leverage the power of motorsports marketing.

If you own a business—or know someone who does—I would greatly appreciate an introduction. I have a professional sponsorship proposal outlining multiple partnership levels designed to provide measurable value and exposure, whether a company is looking for local, regional, or national brand visibility with a potential tax deductible benefit. (As always, businesses should consult their tax professional regarding the potential deductibility of marketing and sponsorship expenses.)

If you'd like to discuss partnership opportunities or know someone who might, please contact me at:
WillConklin@Hotmail.com

For friends and fellow enthusiasts who simply would like to help me chase this dream, I would truly appreciate your support. Every contribution, no matter the size, helps move me one step closer to the starting grid.

Donations to PayPal, Zelle or Venmo can be sent via the appropriate QR codes shown in the pictures below.

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me throughout my 26+ years in motorsports. Whether you've shared advice, cheered me on, or simply followed my journey, your support has meant more than you know.

I hope to be able make you proud this September.





__________________
2023 GR Cup Car
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2026, 04:01 PM   #11
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
New livery almost ready!
Attached Images
  
__________________
2023 GR Cup Car
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2026, 04:40 PM   #12
Opie
Senior Member
 
Opie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2023 Toyota GR 86 Cup
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,661
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,046 Posts
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Back out at Sebring...Images by MotorImages
Attached Images
   
__________________
2023 GR Cup Car
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2026, 05:25 PM   #13
coolhandluke
Member
 
coolhandluke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: US
Posts: 41
Thanks: 4
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
You are looking good out there! I'm excited for next steps.
coolhandluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2026, 09:15 PM   #14
Stonehorsw
Senior Member
 
Stonehorsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ / 13 BRZ
Location: Michigan
Posts: 685
Thanks: 1,169
Thanked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!!!
Will probably see next race (Indy?)
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want Gen-2 Car for track car Scargod Want-To-Buy Requests 0 06-03-2025 08:55 PM
my car is at IAA good for track car project evomike BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 10 06-24-2021 01:46 PM
WTB: Track car build project - looking for a cosmetically/etc challenged car Dave-ROR Want-To-Buy Requests 0 12-12-2018 01:16 PM
Keep car N/A or buy another faster track car Sonolin Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 29 02-19-2014 04:13 PM
FT-86 to debut new GPS-track day technology for use on track and GT5! Hachiroku Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 17 01-30-2010 11:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.