Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New Track car....2023 Toyota GR Cup (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155888)

Opie 07-16-2026 04:33 PM

New Track car....2023 Toyota GR Cup
 
Mmmmmm, maybe a little better than just a track car..... :party0030:

and a little nicer than my last track car....

Toyota Gazoo Racing GR86 Cup car, 2023 Build, 2,950 miles, 4 race weekends (8 races) and 2 test days with driver Massimo Sunseri, had a LF touch with a barrier at Indy last year, switched to the backup car and this one and has been parked since.

Paid for, pick it up tomorrow, will get a new wrap soon.....

https://www.chintrackdays.com/mark/Will/timthumb.jpg

https://www.chintrackdays.com/mark/W...up%20Final.jpg


Damn I am so excited!

ZC6_STi 07-16-2026 06:42 PM

Congrats! And welcome back Opie!! We need more details on this GR Race Car inside & out. :thumbup:

new2subaru 07-16-2026 10:51 PM

Awesome! What ag great looking car! :respekt:

Lantanafrs2 07-17-2026 02:13 AM

Congrats! Are you still resurrecting first gens?

DarkPira7e 07-17-2026 07:56 AM

When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a throwback Castrol livery!
Congratulations dude, I hope you love it :)

smackrel 07-17-2026 11:27 AM

Wowzers! and Congrats!

So awesome! How do you end up getting one of those? Is it like a "I know a guy" kinda thing?

Opie 07-19-2026 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 (Post 3619426)
Congrats! Are you still resurrecting first gens?

Haven't done one in awhile, but I would if asked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackrel (Post 3619428)
Wowzers! and Congrats!

So awesome! How do you end up getting one of those? Is it like a "I know a guy" kinda thing?

It's a simple find one, buy one type deal...either directly from Toyota new, or from a team or individual that is selling one. Since last December I've attempted to buy 4, the other 3 all fell through for one reason or another. I know where there are a few shells available....cage & fuel cells are good....not much else...but rebuildable...


So had it at Sebring yesterday to shake it down and start to learn the feel and differences in the car. The sequential is awesome, but I've got to learn new muscle memory and shift points....turned a 2:36.5 on well heat cycled Conti slicks...not to bad, still a lot to learn and get comfortable with. Was 5.5 seconds off my best Gen1 lap....and 13 seconds off the GR Cup record there....lol

https://youtu.be/6xN4bpentCo

Dadhawk 07-20-2026 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opie (Post 3619420)
Paid for, pick it up tomorrow, will get a new wrap soon.....

Looks great! Congrats.

Have to say though there is something about the PA Macaroni Company logo "elbowed" around the rear wheel well I like.

Also, Giovanni's is my favorite local pizza joint, but it's not the same Giovanni's that sponsored this car.

Opie 07-30-2026 03:39 PM

Wrap is finalized

https://chintrackdays.com/mark/will/Barber%20Livery.jpg

Should pick it up on Aug 7th if everything goes well. Maybe back at Sebring on Aug 8th.

Likely at Barber on Aug 22-23.

Trying to put something together to actually race it at Barber in September....anyone want to sponsor the entry/car? :)

Opie 08-03-2026 10:36 AM

So, this is happening fast...

FT86Club members! I would love for you to check out my racing page Will Conklin Racing!

You all know that I finally took the plunge and purchased a Toyota GR Cup car last month. After getting it on track, I can honestly say it's everything I hoped it would be.

For this next part, moderators, if this is not the appropriate place, I apologize, please let me know and I will remove and/or edit it as needed.

I'm 100% setting my sights on the next challenge: competing in a Toyota GR Cup race weekend at Barber Motorsports Park this September in the Legends class.

This has been a dream of mine for a long time, and I've decided there's no better time than now to pursue it. Since tomorrow is never guaranteed, I'm now going all in and I'll be partnering with the 2025 championship winning team, BSi Racing!

As you can imagine, stepping from track days into professional racing comes with a significant financial commitment. Between licensing, race entry, tires, transportation, lodging, crew support, fuel, and other operating expenses, a single race weekend in the GR Cup requires an investment of approximately $30,000–$40,000. I need some help....

How can you help? I'm looking for businesses that want to leverage the power of motorsports marketing.

If you own a business—or know someone who does—I would greatly appreciate an introduction. I have a professional sponsorship proposal outlining multiple partnership levels designed to provide measurable value and exposure, whether a company is looking for local, regional, or national brand visibility with a potential tax deductible benefit. (As always, businesses should consult their tax professional regarding the potential deductibility of marketing and sponsorship expenses.)

If you'd like to discuss partnership opportunities or know someone who might, please contact me at:
WillConklin@Hotmail.com

For friends and fellow enthusiasts who simply would like to help me chase this dream, I would truly appreciate your support. Every contribution, no matter the size, helps move me one step closer to the starting grid.

Donations to PayPal, Zelle or Venmo can be sent via the appropriate QR codes shown in the pictures below.

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me throughout my 26+ years in motorsports. Whether you've shared advice, cheered me on, or simply followed my journey, your support has meant more than you know.

I hope to be able make you proud this September.

https://www.chintrackdays.com/mark/w..._Racemoney.jpg

https://www.chintrackdays.com/mark/will/Venmo.jpg

https://www.chintrackdays.com/mark/will/Zelle.jpg

Opie 08-06-2026 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New livery almost ready!

Opie 08-12-2026 04:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Back out at Sebring...Images by MotorImages

coolhandluke 08-13-2026 05:25 PM

You are looking good out there! I'm excited for next steps.

Stonehorsw 08-27-2026 09:15 PM

Congratulations!!!
Will probably see next race (Indy?)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.